Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   color blind (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/40785-color-blind.html)

josephmarzullo 01-05-2011 01:05 PM

color blind

I think I might be color blind, can I still go for my CDL? I can see red, yellow and red clearly, but I have trouble with color blind tests. I'd love to go for my CDL, but I don't want to waste my money to later find out that I will fail the medical examination...

usair 01-07-2011 05:51 AM

Just took my physical in Dec. Nurse took me outside, and watch the traffic light down the street, and all she asked was the color of the lights as they changed. I even had them hold the red, green and yellow crayons up.

Fozzy 01-07-2011 01:35 PM

There is a big potential problem depending on where you live and where you take the tests now and in the future. Some states may grant waivers for this problem and some states will not! If you have trouble taking the tests and passing them, then I'd strongly consider contacting the local license branch and check with them before spending one nickel on training or anything else. Know your risks before wasting time and effort.

One 02-06-2011 03:53 PM

The statistics are high for men's colorblindness, i wouldnt doubt it a bit you encounter a driver with colorblindness often and i havent heard of anyone not getting a drivers licence for colorblindness..... idk

sanchez498 02-07-2011 01:22 AM

49 CFR 391.41(b)(10) - Summary of Regulation

"A person is physically qualified to drive a commercial motor vehicle if that person —

Has distant visual acuity of at least 20/40 (Snellen) in each eye without corrective lenses or visual acuity separately corrected to 20/40 (Snellen) or better with corrective lenses, distant binocular acuity of at least 20/40 (Snellen) in both eyes with or without corrective lenses, field of vision of at least 70º in the horizontal meridian in each eye, and the ability to recognize the colors of traffic signals and devices showing standard red, green, and amber."

* The required tests measure visual acuity, peripheral horizontal visual fields, and color.
* Visual acuity is measured in each eye individually and both eyes together.
o Distant visual acuity of at least 20/40 (Snellen) in each eye, with or without corrective lenses.
o Distant binocular visual acuity of at least 20/40 (Snellen) in both eyes, with or without corrective lenses.
* Field of vision of at least 70° in the horizontal meridian in each eye.
* Color vision must be sufficient to recognize traffic signals and devices showing the standard red, amber, and green traffic signal colors.
* When corrective lenses are used to meet vision qualification requirements, the corrective lenses must be used while driving.
* A medical examiner, ophthalmologist, or optometrist may perform and certify vision test results. The medical examiner determines driver certification status.
* Monocular vision is disqualifying.

One 02-07-2011 10:49 AM

Looks to me like if u can driver a car, u can drive a truck.

Windwalker 02-07-2011 11:39 PM

I know a couple of guys that are colorblind, and are driving commercial vehicles. They know the positions of the lights, and are able to tell when one is lit. By the position, they are aware of which one they have to obey. The regulation quoted does not say you can not be colorblind, only that you must be able to identify which light is lit. Red, amber, or green. Most people I know that are colorblind do so by the position of the lights. Vertical, red is on the top, green on the bottom. Horizontal, red is farthest into the lanes of traffic, (left), and green is closes to the sidewalk (right), with amber in the middle. You do not have to be able to see the color in order to know which position they are in.

Walking Eagle 02-08-2011 04:19 AM

Well I'm not color blind. I just love the lavender and yellow of this site.
But see what your local lic. people say they check, each one is different

Southron 02-18-2011 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josephmarzullo (Post 491933)
I think I might be color blind, can I still go for my CDL? I can see red, yellow and red clearly, but I have trouble with color blind tests. I'd love to go for my CDL, but I don't want to waste my money to later find out that I will fail the medical examination...

I'm red/green colorblind, and I pass my DOT physical every year.

It almost makes me laugh when I tell people that I'm colorblind, and I am constantly asked, "You mean you can only see black and white?"

Southron 02-18-2011 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windwalker (Post 493405)
I know a couple of guys that are colorblind, and are driving commercial vehicles. They know the positions of the lights, and are able to tell when one is lit. By the position, they are aware of which one they have to obey. The regulation quoted does not say you can not be colorblind, only that you must be able to identify which light is lit. Red, amber, or green. Most people I know that are colorblind do so by the position of the lights. Vertical, red is on the top, green on the bottom. Horizontal, red is farthest into the lanes of traffic, (left), and green is closes to the sidewalk (right), with amber in the middle. You do not have to be able to see the color in order to know which position they are in.

I know red and have never mistaken it for any other color. The green light on traffic signals looks white to me because it is such a light green.
My biggest challenge is trying to distinguish blue from purple. Sometimes I have trouble distinguishing between yellow and green, but never on traffic lights.