Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   "slow" truck passing ettiquette (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/40455-slow-truck-passing-ettiquette.html)

LennyD 09-24-2010 06:09 PM

"slow" truck passing ettiquette

I started driving only 4 years ago, but somtimes I really feel like an "old timer"... remembering the good ole days when I was RARELY left out in the hammer lane while attempting to pass a slightly slower truck.

In the past 6 months, this has been, at minimum, a weekly occurence.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say at least 50% of the trucks out there are governed between 63-66... so there are constantly going to be passing "battles".

Drivers, If you are paying any attention at all, you should notice a truck that has been following and/or trying to pass you for a few minutes. If you look back and notice that the truck is a little quicker than you, but having some difficulty getting around you, SLOW THE F**K DOWN. Turn off your cruise control for 3 seconds, and get your speed back up once you have allowed the other guy to pass. Not doing this is a blatant display of ignorance and stupidity. It is also a poor reflection on your company... And yes, I have and will continue to report drivers who do this to their safety department.

Also, I've heard plenty of real "old timers" losing their minds to anyone who will listen or comiserate on the CB about the "idiot" in the passing lane, all the while completely letting the other guy off the hook.

Last week in FL heading north from Gainesville, I had 6 faster trucks stacked up behind me while it took about 10 minutes to pass a Fed-EX daycab. The first guy who got around me literally tried to kill me, swerving his trailer in front of me with inches to spare. And just in case you're wondering... when I pulled out to pass, it was completely flat and there was nothing approaching me on the horizon in my mirrors.

I might be preaching to the choir here... but, if I can only change one person's mind it is worth it to me. This is just common sense/courtesy in my world... AND it was actively taught in truck school when I went through it. This isn't a race and you aren't any less of a "man" by letting someone pass you.

TK THE TRUCKER 09-24-2010 06:47 PM

I agree it would be nice if the slower truck did let you by but that just doesn't happen. It's not even a 65mph to 66mph case. It's a 65 to 65.3 case. If you have a full MPH over someone your gonna be able to get by them in a decent amount of time. It's when the difference is a fraction that there's a problem. I gave up long ago getting stressed out trying to pass another governed truck. If I catch up to a truck going a fraction slower than me I just hit my cruise button and slow down 1 mph. Chances are if I have a light load I'll be able to overtake him going up the next hill and if I have a heavy load I might be able to pass them going down the next hill. If it's flat land I just slow down 1 mph. What am I going to lose, 1 minute for every hour I stay behind them. I stop every 3 or 4 hours to take a break. So I risk losing 3 or 4 minutes staying behind them over stressing out trying to pass them. Big deal.

As for reporting the other drivers to their safety department that's just dumb. They're just cruising down the road in the right lane where their supposed to be minding their own business. It's up to you to decide if you can safely pass them in a timely matter. It's not their problem you don't have a fast enough truck to pass them. Yeah maybe it would be nice if they let you by but they're aren't required too. They're not doing anything illegal, you are by blocking the left lane and disrupting the flow of traffic or even worse blocking an emergency vehicle.

LennyD 09-24-2010 07:19 PM

Hey TK I agree with most of what you are saying, so let me clarify

Yes, it is usually a matter of .1 mph. And yes, just slowing down yourself is also an option.

But, It is not always possible to gauge the amount of time required to pass, and what is acceptable in terms of the given traffic situation... you can only make an educated guess sometimes.

What i'm getting at here, Is that willfull ignorance in the right hand lane is no excuse.

A driver left to "mind their own business" in this situation is much more on the steering-wheel holder end of the spectrum, then a "professional driver" always paying attention to, and evaluating and reacting to any given situation on the road.

repete 09-24-2010 07:36 PM

It's also "willfull ignorance" to hang out in the left lane trying to pass a truck that's going the same speed! Why don't you back off a little instead of expecting the other guy to do so? Why not hang back there and wait for a hill? I see this every day also and many times I drop my cruise down for a second and it's nice when the other guy returns the favor BUT it's not mandatory nor expected. If you don't have enough ommph to pass stay in the right lane.

Doctor Who 09-24-2010 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repete (Post 487372)
It's also "willfull ignorance" to hang out in the left lane trying to pass a truck that's going the same speed! Why don't you back off a little instead of expecting the other guy to do so? Why not hang back there and wait for a hill? I see this every day also and many times I drop my cruise down for a second and it's nice when the other guy returns the favor BUT it's not mandatory nor expected. If you don't have enough ommph to pass stay in the right lane.

Very well said!!!

Malaki86 09-24-2010 08:19 PM

I was on I-55 in Missori the other day (might have still been in Arkansas). I was coming up on an entrance ramp with a truck coming onto the interstate. There was no traffic beside or behind me, so I did the polite thing to do and moved into the left lane to allow him to enter. I got to roughly 1/2 way past his truck when our governed trucks met. I was just barely faster than him, but he decided to not back off and let me in. So, I now have cars and trucks coming up behind me. Great. But, it gets better.

I see a sign for a weigh-station 1 mile ahead. By now I'm at least 3/4 way past the other truck. I turn my turn signal on, hoping the guy would see the signals, see the sign and put 2 and 2 together. Nope. He stayed right there. So, I ended up having to slow WAY down in the hammer lane to get in behind the moron. Luckily the truck behind him was paying attention and he backed off.

There's just plain out NO respect for other drivers any more.

Should I just stay in the granny lane no matter if there is a truck getting on the interstate, even though there's no other vehicles around me at the time? Well, that's what I'm going to do from now on. Screw everyone else - I'm tired of having it done to me.

Mr. Ford95 09-24-2010 08:38 PM

That really sux Mal. I usually have a problem with cars doing it to me, not trucks. The only ramps I move over for are the one's that have slow entries due to the design of it. All others I keep it in the right lane, I have the right of way, they have the yield don't like it, tough cookies.

Unless I come up to a truck that is doing 5 less than me, I will stay put behind that truck. If they are running 5 less than me then I'm pulling out and passing them. I had 2 trucks last Friday night pulling a hill in WV, both were loaded and both could pull it pretty much the exact same, 25 mph. 2nd in line decides he's Billy Big Rig and pulls out to pass, nevermind the traffic coming up behind him in the dark at 70-75+ while both are doing 25. They had both lanes blocked up and it wasn't until 3 miles later that BBR finally got clear on his pass. A real moron move on a hill blocking both lanes.

Syncrosonix 09-24-2010 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86 (Post 487378)
There's just plain out NO respect for other drivers any more.

Should I just stay in the granny lane no matter if there is a truck getting on the interstate, even though there's no other vehicles around me at the time? Well, that's what I'm going to do from now on. Screw everyone else - I'm tired of having it done to me.

when i still drove for knight or swift, that was beginning to happen waaaaaaaaay too much. it got to the point where i didn't move over. i don't have to. the driver merging with already moving traffic does not have the right of way.

to the OP: report till your head explodes. they don't have to slow down for your stupid self. if you're not intelligent enough to figure out that it may take some time to pass. you deserve all the grief you've set yourself up for.

classictruckman 09-25-2010 12:00 AM

Quote:

Drivers, If you are paying any attention at all, you should notice a truck that has been following and/or trying to pass you for a few minutes. If you look back and notice that the truck is a little quicker than you, but having some difficulty getting around you, SLOW THE F**K DOWN. Turn off your cruise control for 3 seconds, and get your speed back up once you have allowed the other guy to pass. Not doing this is a blatant display of ignorance and stupidity. It is also a poor reflection on your company... And yes, I have and will continue to report drivers who do this to their safety department.
Yeah I agree with these guys why don't you just slow down, you'll burn less fuel, and the other driver won't burn extra fuel slowing down and then speeding back up.

Jackrabbit379 09-25-2010 04:03 AM

I try to move on to the shoulder, and let a faster truck pass me, as long as it's on flat ground so I can see the gators, or whatever else might be on the shoulder..
and of course, I always duck my head.
(I never thought I'd see the day that I would get my doors blown off by a Joe Bob or a Swift truck :hellno:)

If I ever catch up to anyone, and I don't think I can pull it off in a matter of no-time, I'll back out of it until I can get on around them.