Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Opening hood question (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/40212-opening-hood-question.html)

LittleDriver 08-02-2010 03:10 AM

Opening hood question

I'm 5' 7, 115lbs how much of a pain in the butt is it gonna be to open the hood? are there any other drivers on here my size?

Are there any tips or tricks to opening these big hoods?

Little Driver

allan5oh 08-02-2010 04:29 AM

It really depends on the hood. My dads old freightliner was a beast to open.

One good trick is to open it from the side not the front, but you can only do this if there's shocks otherwise the hood will bounce very badly.

ronjon619 08-02-2010 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh (Post 484478)
It really depends on the hood. My dads old freightliner was a beast to open.

One good trick is to open it from the side not the front, but you can only do this if there's shocks otherwise the hood will bounce very badly.

^-----this........open the hood from under one of the steers. Grab the fender and push it up over your head. I've seen guys struggle with standing on the bumper and leaning bak to get enough momentum to swing the hood open.

LittleDriver 08-02-2010 02:37 PM

I'm guessing it will be a FL Columbia/Century Class/ Cascadia. I'll have to try it from the fender, Thanks for the help.

Little Driver

MADLUX 08-05-2010 12:05 AM

Open it from the front. I had a stupid mechanic bust my hood up from lifting it on the side. (Not cheap, still pissed over it) There is a reason why they teach in cdl school always from the front.

Syncrosonix 08-05-2010 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MADLUX (Post 484594)
Open it from the front. I had a stupid mechanic bust my hood up from lifting it on the side. (Not cheap, still pissed over it) There is a reason why they teach in cdl school always from the front.

ninjas do it from behind.

homer 08-07-2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MADLUX (Post 484594)
Open it from the front. There is a reason why they teach in cdl school always from the front.

i drive an 07 mack and open hood from side like allen sed since it was new with no problems.
after a couple years of grabbinin hood ornament and puttin your foot into plastic bumper cover and leanin back wards youll come around.
like he sed two hands palms up over steer tire its easy as it looks nice n smooth

MADLUX 08-08-2010 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homer (Post 484691)
i drive an 07 mack and open hood from side like allen sed since it was new with no problems.
after a couple years of grabbinin hood ornament and puttin your foot into plastic bumper cover and leanin back wards youll come around.
like he sed two hands palms up over steer tire its easy as it looks nice n smooth

well after 5 years since school, I still open it from the front. Again there is a reason for it. Hoods are not cheap.

Fredog 08-08-2010 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MADLUX (Post 484699)
well after 5 years since school, I still open it from the front. Again there is a reason for it. Hoods are not cheap.

my new hood was $7500.00

Steel Horse Cowboy 08-21-2010 01:10 AM

I opened the hood on my FLD from the side and it wound up scratching the sh_it out of the side below the window. My 4yr old sister opens it from the front, the damn thing just flys open.