Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Is trucking right for me? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/40180-trucking-right-me.html)

KW10001 07-25-2010 11:59 PM

Quote:

40???? You think 40 is OLD??? :pissedoff:
Absolutely :lol:

Quote:

I didn't realize you were SO young! First thing.... 18 is too young to go trucking. You can't even LEAVE your state with a CDL and a truck until you're AT LEAST 21 or 23 depending on the state!
Oh believe me, I have read that at this point. I've seen some at 25. And it certainly helps you fit in College. I always thought it was crazy that you cant rent a car until you're 25, but I understand its too much of a liability for both the insurance companies and the rental company.

Quote:

So STAY in college for now! My best bud is an NC STATE alumni... but, their sports program sucks and you will have to be STRONG to go there! :lol:
wow.... :ranting: :)

Quote:

I'll tell you MY story later! It's been a LONG night and I've got to go mow the yard!
Please do! :thumbsup:

@GMAN,

Thanks for all the great information! I have noticed most of the schools in my area cost in upwards of $2,000 for a 3 week program. One thing I was wondering is a Community College in a neighboring county runs a full CDL program for only $1,000 (After tuition + state and local fee's).

NC Truck Driver Training School :: Johnston Community College, Smithfield, NC

Don't know if anyone here has been to this school, but its apart of a registered Community College so I'm pretty sure its a valid program.

One thing I have been told is its usually better to save up and pay for the training yourself, to avoid being tied to a specific company after training. Would you recommend that I pay for my own way, or should I sign on with a company like Roehl or PAM

Now I took a career test in my Senior year, and to my joy, when I filled it out honestly, Truck Driver was number one. Shortly followed by Sea Captain and Airline Pilot. Now I have interests in all of these things, but thought I would give Driving a Truck a try to see if its my calling.

I have been thinking of getting a Masters... But I was burned out at the end of High School... So we shall see how I feel after another 4 years of education.

Thanks Guys!

GMAN 07-27-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KW10001 (Post 484101)
@GMAN,

Thanks for all the great information! I have noticed most of the schools in my area cost in upwards of $2,000 for a 3 week program. One thing I was wondering is a Community College in a neighboring county runs a full CDL program for only $1,000 (After tuition + state and local fee's).

NC Truck Driver Training School :: Johnston Community College, Smithfield, NC

Don't know if anyone here has been to this school, but its apart of a registered Community College so I'm pretty sure its a valid program.

One thing I have been told is its usually better to save up and pay for the training yourself, to avoid being tied to a specific company after training. Would you recommend that I pay for my own way, or should I sign on with a company like Roehl or PAM

Now I took a career test in my Senior year, and to my joy, when I filled it out honestly, Truck Driver was number one. Shortly followed by Sea Captain and Airline Pilot. Now I have interests in all of these things, but thought I would give Driving a Truck a try to see if its my calling.

I have been thinking of getting a Masters... But I was burned out at the end of High School... So we shall see how I feel after another 4 years of education.

Thanks Guys!

You are welcome. I think that a community college is a good way to go primarily due to the lower cost. Those programs can be longer than a private school, but you may find that you will get more seat or driving time, which will help you as you look for a carrier.

Paying for your own schooling is always preferable to going through a company program. The main reason is that you will not have a long term obligation to the training company if you come with your CDL and schooling. Many carriers will pay a little more if you already have your own CDL.

I understand what you mean about being burned out with school. It happens with a lot of people. As far as your Masters is concerned, many colleges prefer that you have at least a couple of years work experience prior to enrolling in their Masters program, especially in the Business Colleges.

Whether you plan on using your degree in the near term, furthering your education will open more doors and make you a more well rounded individual. Not everyone should go to college, but for those who have an interest in learning or bettering themselves, it is a great way to go. No matter what you do in life you will be better off with either some vocational training or a college degree. Even if you decide that trucking is the career for you, things can happen to end your career that are out of your control. If your health deteriorates, you may not be able to continue driving. A degree would offer you an opportunity to earn a good living while still having some health issues that may disqualify you from a career as a professional driver.

Useless 07-30-2010 02:00 AM

KW10001:

Some other things to consider:

1.) You must have a high tolerance threshold for handling frustration; there will be many, from equipment failures, to dispatchers, to shippers & consignees, to truck stop morons. You'll quickly learn that God truly loves stupid people. He must; he made a sh8tload of them, and you'll meet many of them!!

2.) Get ready to deal with disappointments; broken promises, lies, back stabbing, companies that spew one line of rhetoric about running safely & legally, but push you to start shaving margins on HOS and safety compliance.

3.) As a driver, you are only as good as your last load. Forget about loyalty; not in today's world. Let something go wrong, and you will become the donkey that others pin the tail to.

4.) As far as "seeing the country"?? Some truth, and if you get off to seeing freight doors and warehouse districts, all the better. Yes, there will be times that you get to see some really wonderful scenery, but those times tend to come in increments. As far as getting to "see the sights"?? Not much!! You'll drive past them, but you'll seldom get to stop to see them for very long.

As GMAN pointed out, your age will most likely preclude you from driving for several more years.

As GolfHobo so correctly stated, driving gets tiresome after awhile. You are not a tourist; you'll be dealing with problematic street layouts, adverse weather, compliance issues, idiot drivers, truck stop bums with sob stories, gold chain salesmen knocking on your doors at all hours, very long and irregular hours, and disrupted rest & sleeping hours.

The adage that you work 80 to 90 hours per week, log 70 hours, and get paid for 40 to 50 hours is, unfortunately, all too true.

Stay in school and complete your degree; in today's world, education is of extreme importance, and that simply is NOT going to change. At 18 years of age, your life should be focused upon opening doors of opportunity. Once you complete your degree, the crappy jobs with the mega-carriers will still be there, and if today's economy is any indicator, then in terms of buying power, they'll most likely pay less than they do now. You are simply too young to be an OTR driver; consider that a blessing!! where education is concerned, you'll never do it any younger.

BTW, Golf: An excellent posting!! Well done!!

Luzon 08-01-2010 03:56 PM

Another possible option - the military.

If you are in school and asking your self "why am I doing this" and trying to figure out your life, the miltary is a pretty good way to help with your figuring. Granted, we're in the middle of a couple wars right now but there are military options that would limit your exposure to the desert.

Most people think Army or Navy when they think military. What I tell young people to do is check out ALL the branches, including the Coast Guard. They all have specialty jobs that could keep one off the front lines, even the Army.

For example:
The Coast Guard and Navy both have jobs for people to do sea-air rescue.

Most of the services have some form of public affairs jobs - writing, photography, etc.

All branches have jobs in electronics, computers, and intelligence.

If you're very athleticlly inclined then there's the Army special forces; Rangers & Green Berrets, Navy Seals, and Air Force Para Rescue and Tech Control.

And many other options available. If you're even remotely interested in the military as an option, don't just talk to the recruiters, seek out advice from others in your area who've been there - just like you should do if trucking ends up being the way you go.

If you're a "family" type and have a girlfriend that you're serious about - or a wife, then the Air Force is the way to go. If you're free as a bird and don't have any desire to be married any time soon, then any of the branches would be fine. I guess the main point I'm trying to make is not to think "in the box" and go the route that so many others do. There are tons of opportunities in the military, but it takes some research to uncover the gems. Hey, that's also true for trucking.

One final piece of advice. If you got good grades in HS, and if you were active in your community/school programs, try talking to your Congressmen and Senators from your state - they can each nominate 10 people for each vacancy they have for the various military academies. If you were to get into an academy; West Point, Annapolis, USCG Academy and the Air Force Academy. Then your school would be free (you would have a service commitment after graduation).

I only offer this info as something to at least consider.

Best of luck.

b00m 08-02-2010 04:47 AM

I would suggest to finish your degree and start a career into something much lucrative than trucking.What the guys have posted i extremely true about a truck driver.After that if u still want to start a second career in trucking do that.In my case,im only 26 right now,started in trucking at 23 after 3.5 years in the AIR FORCE and with about 70 credits completed towards my bachelor in business.I kind of regret not staying in and finishing my college degree or 20 years in the military.When i started trucking i jumped right into owning a truck and having big dreams about having my own business.Right now i do own my business but also the headaches that came with it.I cant really complain now,but it took me a while to be profitable in this business and do well.As a matter of fact i plan on getting back to school on finishing my degree at least for a few months on the year,especially winter months.Thats something i should have done way before all this if i would turn the time back.FINISH YOUR SCHOOL first since trucking can wait at anytime in your life.

GMAN 08-02-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b00m (Post 484480)
I would suggest to finish your degree and start a career into something much lucrative than trucking.What the guys have posted i extremely true about a truck driver.After that if u still want to start a second career in trucking do that.In my case,im only 26 right now,started in trucking at 23 after 3.5 years in the AIR FORCE and with about 70 credits completed towards my bachelor in business.I kind of regret not staying in and finishing my college degree or 20 years in the military.When i started trucking i jumped right into owning a truck and having big dreams about having my own business.Right now i do own my business but also the headaches that came with it.I cant really complain now,but it took me a while to be profitable in this business and do well.As a matter of fact i plan on getting back to school on finishing my degree at least for a few months on the year,especially winter months.Thats something i should have done way before all this if i would turn the time back.FINISH YOUR SCHOOL first since trucking can wait at anytime in your life.

I am glad to see that you plan on completing your degree. There are a number of accredited colleges who offer on line programs for those who work. I have met a few in this business who are working on their degree in this manner. It would enable you to work on your degree without taking time off to attend classes.

Luzon 08-02-2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 484490)
I am glad to see that you plan on completing your degree. There are a number of accredited colleges who offer on line programs for those who work. I have met a few in this business who are working on their degree in this manner. It would enable you to work on your degree without taking time off to attend classes.

I agree GMAN. Also, there are some colleges who still offer the good ol' fashioned corresondance courses.

Here's 3 that I know of.

University of Alaska, Fairbanks

University of Georgia

Brigham Young University

There's others, but I can't think of any more right now. Each class at those listed above is in the $500 range and they give you up to a year to complete it. Just another option to consider if you want to take a fully accredited course here and there while out on the road. $500 is kinda steep compared to your local in-state college but compared to most of these online schools who may have questionable accreditation, it's not bad.

kloy 08-04-2010 06:46 PM

help

good thread! sorry to interrupt the conversation thats already going, but it seems there's people here with some good answers.....

well my name is Tony, i'm 21 years old and i live in Tucson, AZ.
I'm in the middle of getting some grant money to help pay
for truck driving school. Part of my assignment is to get 3 interviews
of current truck drivers to help me decide if this is the career for me.
They told me to flag down some truckers and ask to give an interview,
but i don't want to bother people on the street. So i figured a forum would
be best, and here i am...So i'm going to post the interview questions
below, my email is [email protected], if u have the time
or care please email me back, it would be much appreciated!

Name of person interviewed:_________________________
position: __________________ Company:________________________

1. Are there jobs in the field:
A) Within your company? B) In the community? Explain:

2. What skills are required?

3. What training is required? (i.e. software)?

4. What certification or license is required?

5. From which schools do you hire?

6. What do you feel are the satisfactions or advantages of the work?

7. What are the drawbacks of the work?

8. What is the potential for advancement?

9. What is the salary range for the entry level? ( respond with a dollar amount):

10. Other?

:bow:

ronjon619 08-04-2010 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BanditsCousin (Post 483991)
I finished my industrial engineering degree with a minor in economics and went straight into trucking as an o/o hauling HHG. I know where you're coming from :)

On the otherhand, my Dad is a driver, so I had a lil more guidance than the average newbie.

i doubt you would have made that move if your dad was not in the biz because you made all the right moves. You know as well as I do that most guys have to learn the hard way.

GMAN 08-04-2010 08:42 PM

I think that you will find that there are quite a few families who have several generations of drivers or owner operators within their ranks. I think that it gets in your blood. It can become the family business. It does help smooth the way somewhat when you have a close family member who can give you some of the pros and cons of this or any business.

One thing Bandits Cousin did do prior to going out on his own is to get his education. Should he get hurt, disabled or just decide that he doesn't want to do this any more he has options with his degree. It is much easier to get your degree when you are younger. You have few responsibilities and little in the way of distractions when you are young. It is a good time to prepare for your future and if you still want to drive a truck after college, then you can still do it. If you find at that point that you no longer want to drive a truck then you are ready to embark on a career that you have prepared for the last 4 years.