Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Is part time trucking possible? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/38425-part-time-trucking-possible.html)

larryb522 08-04-2009 12:59 AM

Is part time trucking possible?

I really want to give trucking a try but everyone says I would be a fool to switch careers at this point in my life. I have 10 years until I can take early retirement where I work. I will be 51 then. I currently make a little over $40,000.00 a year. There is nothing I can do in this job to make more money.

I am planning on going through a truck driving school next summer knowing that I will not seek a full time job driving a truck. I just can't get it out of my mind and I think I will know if I would like it by going through a school.

My question is...Is it possible to drive for someone on my days off? Part time if you will. I work four, ten hour days so I have three days off every week.

Fredog 08-04-2009 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larryb522 (Post 458014)
I really want to give trucking a try but everyone says I would be a fool to switch careers at this point in my life. I have 10 years until I can take early retirement where I work. I will be 51 then. I currently make a little over $40,000.00 a year. There is nothing I can do in this job to make more money.

I am planning on going through a truck driving school next summer knowing that I will not seek a full time job driving a truck. I just can't get it out of my mind and I think I will know if I would like it by going through a school.

My question is...Is it possible to drive for someone on my days off? Part time if you will. I work four, ten hour days so I have three days off every week.

there are a few agencies that supply drivers to fill in for sick drivers or drivers on vacation. you might try one of them

larryb522 08-04-2009 01:19 AM

Who are these agencies?

Kevin0915 08-04-2009 01:52 AM

Sure, part time trucking is possible, just ask HawkJr. =)

Jumbo 08-04-2009 03:03 AM

Temp agencies sometimes have openings for truck drivers, Mostly straight trucks but any experience doesnt hurt.

Orangetxguy 08-04-2009 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larryb522 (Post 458016)
Who are these agencies?

Check ads in your local paper. Check your local workforce center. Each area has Temp Agencies, they go under many different names.

SickRick 08-04-2009 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin0915 (Post 458022)
Sure, part time trucking is possible, just ask HawkJr. =)

Sometimes I wonder if you're really that mean-spirited. Then you go and prove it again...

Rick

jonp 08-04-2009 05:41 AM

There are a number of companies that do this. You just need to start calling and ask if they need people for fill in work on a part time basis.

1TruckDrivinSunUvAGun 08-04-2009 06:48 AM

I know Knight Transportation hires part time drivers. But they require 4 mos. OTR experience.

Glad Hand 08-04-2009 06:48 AM

I don’t know of any company that would hire you with just a CDL on a part time basis without the required driving experience. Acquiring a CDL doesn’t mean you are a qualified driver. Rather it means that you have passed the first step to becoming a qualified driver.

It qualifies you to be hired as a trainee and to go out with a trainer for 6 to 8 weeks over the road. Subsequent to the requisite training you would need probably at least 6 months of solo experience to get another job, and if you prefer to have a local driving job, most companies won’t touch you without at least 2 years of previous full time driving experience.

Thus, finding a part time driving job is probably possible for someone with the requisite driving experience and a clean driving record. With just a CDL and no driving experience, it would be impossible.