Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   they just pulled my cdl, any sugestions (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/38423-they-just-pulled-my-cdl-any-sugestions.html)

Glad Hand 08-04-2009 04:46 AM

In my opinion invalidating the CDLs of drivers who have been driving over the road for a living for years is absolutely ludicrous regardless if corners were allegedly cut, and as for as I’m concerned whoever made that insane decision to pull the driver’s CDLs should also be held libel for the damages incurred as well in my opinion.

I mean getting a CDL is a pretty meaningless affair if you ask me. It just means that you can pass a very basic level driving and written skills test. It most certainly doesn’t mean that you are a qualified and competent driver who is ready to hit the road already without any training. The reality is a driver really doesn’t develop the necessary driving skills until he or she undergoes weeks of on the job training and spends more time solo over the road.

Driving is a job that is learned by driving experience and time behind a wheel. Thus, to pull the CDLs of drivers who have been driving over the road for years because of a small technicality is absolutely ludicrous and insane! I mean the fact that these drivers have been able to hold down driving jobs more than proves that they possess at least the minimum level of skills, and in all probability far more driving skills than the driving and written skills any CDL test measures.

How many of you drivers are worse drivers today than you were the day you passed your CDL test?

GMAN 08-04-2009 08:57 AM

My advice is to see if Swift will allow you to use one of their trucks to retake the skills test and take the written test at your local DMV. If not then find a truck to rent or borrow to take the test. It seems to me that Swift at least has an obligation to supply a truck for the road test. If you currently work for another carrier perhaps they would allow you to use a truck. I am surprised that you didn't check on this earlier since there was so much national media attention. Good luck.

geeshock 08-11-2009 08:39 PM

Just updateing. I finally got my class A learners permit again. Not expecting swift to re-emburse me but am saveing those recipts. In the end it's going to be 700 out of my pocket. Due to take the skills and driving test on the 20th, so wish me luck. I shouldn't have to much of a problem with the driving part, need to remembrer to dubble clutch. I formed a bad habit of "floating gears" and remember to keep both hands on the wheel. I usualy keep on hand on the shifter at all times which won't impress the instructor I'm sure. I the bigest part i need to restudy is the pre-trip since I've goten in the habit of doing checks but since I've goten so used to them I don't do a true step by step, and never check my horns while at the T/S i usualy check them when I get down the road just a little.

Orangetxguy 08-11-2009 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeshock (Post 458809)
Just updateing. I finally got my class A learners permit again. Not expecting swift to re-emburse me but am saveing those recipts. In the end it's going to be 700 out of my pocket. Due to take the skills and driving test on the 20th, so wish me luck. I shouldn't have to much of a problem with the driving part, need to remembrer to dubble clutch. I formed a bad habit of "floating gears" and remember to keep both hands on the wheel. I usualy keep on hand on the shifter at all times which won't impress the instructor I'm sure. I the bigest part i need to restudy is the pre-trip since I've goten in the habit of doing checks but since I've goten so used to them I don't do a true step by step, and never check my horns while at the T/S i usualy check them when I get down the road just a little.

Ok....now that you have started the process, Have you taken your situation to the NC Employment Bureau? Have you asked there, if there is any chance that the new "Re-investment Act" monies could assist you in regaining your CDL, since it was nothing of your doing, that directly led to your original CDL being suspended? The state of NC may just be able to help, if they have those funds.

Doing so, can lessen your financial burden, and get you back to work at the same time.

geeshock 08-11-2009 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 458810)
Ok....now that you have started the process, Have you taken your situation to the NC Employment Bureau? Have you asked there, if there is any chance that the new "Re-investment Act" monies could assist you in regaining your CDL, since it was nothing of your doing, that directly led to your original CDL being suspended? The state of NC may just be able to help, if they have those funds.

Doing so, can lessen your financial burden, and get you back to work at the same time.

No I haven't but that does sound like a good idea, at least talk to them. I'm trying to get this rolling as quick as I can but I can see if there is any help I can get from the state. I apreciate the come back.