Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Swift Training Academy (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/38168-swift-training-academy.html)

1catfish 07-18-2009 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford390pwr (Post 456363)
OOOHRAH!

Well as you can see from my heading, I was able to pass my WA State CDL test today. As a matter of fact, Dave, Kurt and I all passed the test. The other 2 WA students did not pass in Spokane. One of them failed on Skills and Road, and the other just failed on Skills. Our single ID student failed on the Pre-trip, so he didn't even go on to road or skills. Both of the MT students passed, and the OR students also passed.

Below is a link to the GPS Tracker for the test route.
test | Author Ford390pwr | free Mobile GPS Tracking Service

So on the Pre-trip, I missed 4 points, Dave missed 1 point and Kurt missed 6 points. On the skills test, I missed 1 point (for a pull up), Dave missed 6 points and Kurt missed 4. Finally for the driving test, I missed 23 points, Dave missed 20 points, and Kurt squeaked by with 24 points.

I took a few turns wider than necessary, buut I didn't hit any curbs or any unavoidable lines. I did grind a couple of gears, mostly due to nerves! One stop sign I didn't stop at the sign, but I got at the line. I was the first of Swift's students to ever catch the "street sign", but then I was out of gear longer than I should have been when I went into the highway on ramp. I recovered quick enough, once I flipped the selector lever. By the way, the sign was an overhead yellow sign that said "Freeway Ends 1/4 mile". Bob said to take a guess of you have no clue, so Dave guessed merge ahead.

I missed 12 points for miriors alone! She also gave me a point for being out of my lane while merging onto the freeway. I was a little bit over the fog line.

Anyways, in the end the only thing that matters is that we have our CDL! Dave and I are staying the night in Lewiston and will head home for 10 days before orientation begins on July 28th in Sumner WA.

Looking back on my time at Swift Training Academy, I am very impressed with the instruction that I have recieved. I must say that I was very lucky to have Bob as my instructor. I could have done fine with another teacher, but I believe that I have a little bit more knowledge than some of the other students thanks to Bob.

I will continue to blog on this forum through my Orientation and mentorship, so stay tuned!

way to go! remember stay with the same company you start with you'll be much better off in the long run. again congratulations!:thumbsup:

AC120 07-18-2009 04:48 PM

Ford390pwr --

Sickrick's comment about aprons and grease is a good one. One way to avoid that grease is to get yourself a fifth-wheel puller. You can get a 39-inch long one at Iowa 80 for about 17 bucks (other truck stops may carry them). You just reach in to the fifth wheel, hook the puller on the release handle, and pull. You don't get between the tractor and the trailer, your shirt/jacket/arm don't get near the grease, and you don't bring that stuff back into the cab. Using a puller also saves your back. Keep it in the sidebox. Best trucker tool I ever had.

Also, get good leather gloves for hooking up etc., and rubber gloves just for fueling--keeps diesel off your hands. Carry handi-wipes of some sort--I used "WetOnes"--for hand cleaner.

You'll figure out what works for you out there. The longer you stay, the more tools and tricks you'll have. Welcome to the club. Safe trip.

SickRick 07-18-2009 08:18 PM

snip kevins nonsensical, self-serving drivel...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin0915 (Post 456186)
gee...thanx for reminding drivers to watch their head. you must really think they are stupid to forget they are squatting under a trailer.

No Einstein, I was telling a STUDENT - who may not yet know the JOYS of a headful of grease when wandering under the apron while learning how to couple/uncouple.

I could CARE LESS if you catch a headful EVERY TIME...

Rick

boneebone 07-19-2009 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1catfish (Post 456365)
way to go! remember stay with the same company you start with you'll be much better off in the long run. again congratulations!:thumbsup:

Yeah congratulations!

Kevin0915 07-19-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford390pwr (Post 456363)

Looking back on my time at Swift Training Academy, I am very impressed with the instruction that I have recieved.

I said this about Lewiston, but was automaticly labled a 'swift lover' or something ******ed. What i found amazing was that i didnt know jack about driving a truck before going to lewiston. Hell, never even sat in one...maybe once as a kid in my dad's truck, but nothing to remember.

I went right from schooling to orientation. didnt want to waste any time. Now, the guys at orientation MIGHT have you retake a road test, just for a Swift thing. But they didn't me or anybody else who attended a Swift school because it was within the company...but it could just be up to the terminal manager. You'll have to retake the pee-test, but everything else should carry over.

Just remember, once you get your mentor, before the truck even rolls, you need to both be on the same page. Ask what he expects, and tell him what you expect. And if you feel the mentor is just using you for a 2nd log book, and you aren't really learning anything, its time to jump off his truck (do it at your home terminal though) and get a mentor who will actually give you some training. You are required to have at least 28 backs in 6 weeks. My first one, i only had 3 backs in 2 weeks. the 2nd mentor i had, i had 28 backs in 3 weeks....we ran wal-mart dedicated, and had 3-4 stops each load...so that helped.

good luck, and you will have to start a new thread and keep us updated on your weeks on the road...and how good your mentor is (or isnt).

Syncrosonix 07-19-2009 03:49 PM

hopefully you get jim kling or somebody just as awesome. with jim, i had done more backing than what was required by the time the third week rolled around, and i was still doing them, and he'd list them.

Biscuit Lips 07-22-2009 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1catfish (Post 456365)

How so?

Kevin0915 07-22-2009 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biscuit Lips (Post 456806)
How so?

as with any possible job you're applying for, just think of it from the HR manager's standpoint. They have a interview with a perspective employee, and their work history is dotted with several jobs over the past year, and the average length of employment is 2-3 months? Just think what a freight company would think seeing how you started with say swift....then 4 months later quit and started with Werner, quit after 2 months, worked for JB Hunt for 4 months, quit then worked for Transport America, quit.....see what i'm getting? If i was needing to hire drivers, i sure as hell wouldnt hire one whos track history shows that he will only be here for a few months and then gone.....why waste my time?

Orangetxguy 07-22-2009 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin0915 (Post 456305)
I went from not knowing jack about driving a truck, to getting my CDL. Believe me, there was enough thrown at me in 2 weeks time before getting on the road, that 'how to use Jakes and Cruise' was far from my mind. Its plenty of pressure taking an 18 wheeler out on public streets for the first time, when still learning to shift smoothly, knowing your road speed/tach, watching that big azz of yours in the mirror, making sure you maximize your 90 during turns and oh yeah, throw in 'how and when to use jakes and cruise'. most students (in my class) got 10 hrs in the left seat. And it was just enough to get me thru the state test.

Now, on the mentor's truck, that would be a perfect time to talk about when/how to use jakes and cruise. Though, as a newbie, i dont think a student should ever use cruise..and here is why. The new driver needs to practice throttle control. Granted there isnt much to it, in trucks governed at 62, to just mash the throttle down. but say you're on a highway with a 55mph speed. One really needs to show they can maintain total control of the truck without any aids.

Dang! Something I agree with Kevin about!!! :thumbsup:

Kevin0915 07-23-2009 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 456871)
Dang! Something I agree with Kevin about!!! :thumbsup:

lets see how long it takes for your post to get removed. =)