Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Laptop Mounts (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/37834-laptop-mounts.html)

Redd202 05-10-2009 03:52 AM

Laptop Mounts

For the folks that have laptop stands (such as this: Part Details) how effective are they at absorbing the bumps and shocks endured while driving?

I'm considering getting a laptop and would like to have a mount, but worry that the laptop could be damaged by the vibrations.

wsyrob 05-10-2009 04:06 AM

I have been running a cheap laptop for over a year in my truck. I built a wooden desk type mount and had it bungied to the passenger seat. I recently changed trucks and installed one of these:

L@@K >> BIG TRUCK LAPTOP MOUNT FOR GPS / INTERNET / DVD:eBay Motors (item 150343222587 end time May-13-09 13:17:33 PDT)

The laptop runs fine and has handled the bumps without a problem. I wouldn't pay $200+ for a mount. These are built from 1/2 inch threaded steel pipe, 45 and 90 degree screw on connectors,and flanges. They allow you to build almost any configuration. You can buy everything you need at a local hardware store except the plexiglass holder. The company link I posted will sell it alone for $32. The flange bolted to a seat bolt. I will post a picture when I get back into the truck next week

Redd202 05-10-2009 02:52 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, $200+ seems a little high for some metal and screws.

Phantom433a 05-10-2009 02:58 PM

I did the same as wsyrob and the wooden desk on the seat. I built a box on the door side and ran 3 bungies across it to act as a shock absorber for my laptop. Then I ran a bungie across the keyboard to hold it in place.....total cost? The bungies were old and not usable for holding tarps (too dry rotted) and the wood was scrap I had laying around my shop....so nothing. Nice thing about it is that I'm able to mount my coffeemaker (12v) within arms reach and brew a cup going down the road.:thumbsup:

matcat 05-10-2009 03:05 PM

I was going to built a stand myself, haven't done it yet but I will, I cannot justify $300 for something I can build myself. But as far as vibrations go, laptops are pretty much designed to handle it, the trick is to make your stand have some flexibility to counter-act vibrations.

matcat 05-10-2009 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsyrob (Post 449594)
I have been running a cheap laptop for over a year in my truck. I built a wooden desk type mount and had it bungied to the passenger seat. I recently changed trucks and installed one of these:

L@@K >> BIG TRUCK LAPTOP MOUNT FOR GPS / INTERNET / DVD:eBay Motors (item 150343222587 end time May-13-09 13:17:33 PDT)

The laptop runs fine and has handled the bumps without a problem. I wouldn't pay $200+ for a mount. These are built from 1/2 inch threaded steel pipe, 45 and 90 degree screw on connectors,and flanges. They allow you to build almost any configuration. You can buy everything you need at a local hardware store except the plexiglass holder. The company link I posted will sell it alone for $32. The flange bolted to a seat bolt. I will post a picture when I get back into the truck next week

Wow that is a nice setup, I might go with that one.

Jumbo 05-10-2009 04:07 PM

The problem with that ebay mount is that it has to be bolted to something. Look at the pictures. I dont think there are going to be too many fleets that will let you drill holes in the dash, the floor or the seat.

Phantom433a 05-10-2009 04:35 PM

the pics show its using an existing bolt to mount. All you have to do is find a place where you can unbolt and then rebolt without tearing up your knuckles.

wsyrob 05-10-2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jumbo (Post 449649)
The problem with that ebay mount is that it has to be bolted to something. Look at the pictures. I dont think there are going to be too many fleets that will let you drill holes in the dash, the floor or the seat.

Mine bolted to the seat bolt. I didn't even need to buy a longer bolt.

Mystikal 05-10-2009 06:32 PM

We bought a TV tray from walmart for 14.99 and took an extra long bungee and bungee the laptop and tray to the seat. Cheap laptop stand and works well. I haven't done anything for the shock factor but we're getting an 8.9" SSD computer here in a few weeks to put on the dash so it'll be obsolete anyways.