Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Questions to ask recruiters (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/37813-questions-ask-recruiters.html)

SoulRacer 05-06-2009 01:45 PM

Questions to ask recruiters

Can anyone that has been through the process give a good listing of things that you asked and things that you wish you had asked before taking a job with a particular company..seasoned pros let me know what you have encountered that you would have liked to have known up front...basically looking for things like lay-over pay, load/unload, etc. so that I know what I should be asking to compare companies.
Thanks.

SR

Uturn2001 05-06-2009 02:33 PM

You need to ask about anything and everything that is important to you.

How long is training and do student trucks run as solo or team trucks.
Pay during training.
Pay after training
Insurance benefits. (Try to get specifics)
Do you reimburse for scales and tolls.
Toll road policy
Pay for driver loading/unloading.
Lumper policy.
Percent of no touch freight
Home time policy
Pet policy
Power inverter policy
Idle policy
Pay for layovers, break downs and detention
Pay or reimburse for hotel if truck broke down and unable to sleep in it
Rider policy
Policy about taking truck home when off.
Pay options (direct deposit, check mailed home, put on fuel card, etc)
Forced dispatch to New York City and/or Canada
Vacation
Do you pay for the physical and drug screening
Is it a standard physical or a "Work Well" physical.
What happens if I am sent home during orientation?
Is there anything your company charges drivers for: Things like damages, being late, getting stuck, needing a jump start, etc.
Do you pay for truck washes/ truck washing policy.

--grande-- 05-06-2009 04:58 PM

Make sure they work for the company you are thinking of working for. :roll:

I was talking to a recruiter one day who did not even work for the company I was thinking of working for.....:hellno:

He was blowing smoke up my butt the whole time. :pissedoff:

repete 05-06-2009 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by --grande-- (Post 449210)
Make sure they work for the company you are thinking of working for. :roll:

I was talking to a recruiter one day who did not even work for the company I was thinking of working for.....:hellno:

He was blowing smoke up my butt the whole time. :pissedoff:

THAT'S A GOOD ONE!! I never would have thought to ask if they actully worked for the co or a head hunter!

jagerbomber3.0 05-06-2009 06:42 PM

After you talk to a few of these recruiters you will learn that it is not always a matter of what you ask but learning which parts they tell you are probably a little bit of bull crap. For the most part with the bigger companies it is the same old stuff with everyone you talk to,they get paid to get you to come to orientation and some will tell you everything you want to hear to get your but in a seat. You gotta learn what is and isnt just stock lines from a company recruitment fact sheet. Try and talk to other drivers from the companies and you will get a better picture of what is and isnt true most of the time.

ohiomohawk 05-06-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagerbomber3.0 (Post 449221)
After you talk to a few of these recruiters you will learn that it is not always a matter of what you ask but learning which parts they tell you are probably a little bit of bull crap. For the most part with the bigger companies it is the same old stuff with everyone you talk to,they get paid to get you to come to orientation and some will tell you everything you want to hear to get your but in a seat. You gotta learn what is and isnt just stock lines from a company recruitment fact sheet. Try and talk to other drivers from the companies and you will get a better picture of what is and isnt true most of the time.

Many recruiters are like car salesman.

zipy46 05-08-2009 07:06 PM

Recruiters hear the answer you want in the very question you are asking them. :)

They're that good

got mud? 05-09-2009 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulRacer (Post 449184)
Can anyone that has been through the process give a good listing of things that you asked and things that you wish you had asked before taking a job with a particular company..seasoned pros let me know what you have encountered that you would have liked to have known up front...basically looking for things like lay-over pay, load/unload, etc. so that I know what I should be asking to compare companies.
Thanks.

SR

one big question to ask after every question you ask... Can I get that in writing? is that a written policy?
because if its not in writing its all bullsh*t

Skywalker 05-09-2009 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by got mud? (Post 449445)
one big question to ask after every question you ask... Can I get that in writing? is that a written policy?
because if its not in writing its all bullsh*t

Dat's right!! If it ain't in writin'.....it be nuttin mo den wind in da trees.....

Tell him or her that it "Sounds to good to be true".....and then wait for the reaction.....:smokin:

Bur remember....if its not in writing........................................... ........................

ITS BULL:toilet: and the recruiter wears a t-shirt with this on the front: :stupid: and if you buy their line of "hoooooey"....you wear one of these too! :stupid: