Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Mavrick or ??? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/37347-mavrick.html)

gula197 03-10-2009 07:44 PM

Mavrick or ???

which of these companies is better to start with i live in LA. and i want to flatbed i read a lot of people said schneider was a good school to get training but i dont hear to much about Maverick, where i live at i see a lot more flatbeds than any others i eventually want to be a flatbed o/o

Biscuit Lips 03-10-2009 07:57 PM

Have you looked into Wabash Valley Transportation? I know they have a southeast regional, not sure if you are covered by that though.

gula197 03-10-2009 08:00 PM

im going to check them out...do they have schooling?

Mr. Ford95 03-10-2009 08:58 PM

Maverick has schooling. I have heard Schneider no longer taking folks who need to be schooled first.

Maverick is decent, they pay mileage. Most of their fleet if not all of it by now are automatics. Maverick

If my job doesn't hold, I will probably give Maverick a shout if I can't find anything local.

Sealord 03-10-2009 09:05 PM

Maverick or ???

Schneider sold their flatbed/glass hauling assets to Maverick a while back. They've also ceased training entry level drivers since November or December due to the economic downturn. See pumpkindriver.com. You may be better off checking out Arrow or Roehl, they have terminals in the LA (I hope you mean Los Angeles and not Lower Alabama) area. Roehl has a driver Training Center in Marshfield, Wi the last I knew. Check roehl.net. Getting on with a reefer company or dry van may be better 'cause people gotta eat. Flatbed usually pulls a lot of construction material loads, how much building is going in your area? BOL

gula197 03-10-2009 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sealord (Post 441989)
Schneider sold their flatbed/glass hauling assets to Maverick a while back. They've also ceased training entry level drivers since November or December due to the economic downturn. See pumpkindriver.com. You may be better off checking out Arrow or Roehl, they have terminals in the LA (I hope you mean Los Angeles and not Lower Alabama) area. Roehl has a driver Training Center in Marshfield, Wi the last I knew. Check roehl.net. Getting on with a reefer company or dry van may be better 'cause people gotta eat. Flatbed usually pulls a lot of construction material loads, how much building is going in your area? BOL

oh ok but no i live in Louisiana

Biscuit Lips 03-11-2009 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gula197 (Post 441985)
im going to check them out...do they have schooling?

No, but if you already have a C.D.L. they would likely train you. Good luck with your job search

Snowman7 03-11-2009 04:02 AM

I believe Maverick quit doing cdl training.

married to the road 03-11-2009 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sealord (Post 441989)
You may be better off checking out Arrow or Roehl, they have terminals in the LA (I hope you mean Los Angeles and not Lower Alabama) area.

Arrow had a terminal in Fontana, CA, but I'm pretty sure they moved it to Pheonix. But they are having financial trouble right now from what I hear and saw while I worked there and would think twice before trying them. Have you called Boyd Bros? I have heard good things about them in the past. Good luck.

Biscuit Lips 03-11-2009 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by married to the road (Post 442066)
Arrow had a terminal in Fontana, CA, but I'm pretty sure they moved it to Pheonix. But they are having financial trouble right now from what I hear and saw while I worked there and would think twice before trying them. Have you called Boyd Bros? I have heard good things about them in the past. Good luck.

I believe he said he lives in Louisiana.