Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Scratched CDs.... (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/37268-scratched-cds.html)

Uturn2001 03-03-2009 11:18 PM

It doesn't have to be music CD's but DVD's and computer CD's that may need to be fixed.

I would not use stuff like car wax or toothpaste as they could end up scratching the disc worse or even leave a film on the disc that would keep it from working or mess up your player/drive.

I agree for the best job having a "professional" do it would be the best way to go but they do market CD repair kits with special fluids, cloths, etc to help clean and fix very minor scratches.

roady91 03-05-2009 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago (Post 441037)
Last I checked, it was like $1.00 per disc.

That's pretty cheap! :thumbsup: I didn't know that there is a service like that - I have also got a bunch of CDs with scratches at home - guess I'll look for a shop that can repair them.

headborg 03-05-2009 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlos64030 (Post 440859)
Skip Dr. is what I use. You can find 'em at Best Buy, Wal Mart, pretty much anywhere where music is sold I guess.

http://www.whitedog.co.uk/catalog/im...nual_clean.jpg

Big 10-4 on that suggestion :clap::clap: It's the best fixer I've found.. aside from just transfering your music to .mp3 IPOD or mini-disc ( no skips, no scratching!)

dobry4u 03-05-2009 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headborg (Post 441188)
Big 10-4 on that suggestion :clap::clap: It's the best fixer I've found.. aside from just transfering your music to .mp3 IPOD or mini-disc ( no skips, no scratching!)

Actually that is more of a cleaner than a resurfacer. You can get the same results with just the cleaning solution and cloth. For scratches, it takes a bit more. I suggest for cleaning your disks, try a ShamWow. :D

married to the road 03-05-2009 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago (Post 440840)
I've heard toothpaste will fix one too, but I'd sooner use something designed for the job.

This may be what you are thinking of.

YouTube - How to Remove Scratches From Any DVD

There are plenty other suggestions on there also. Just don't be like my buddy. Someone told him that if you set the cd on fire for a second, and then put the fire out, it would like melt the scratches out or something. He burnt up a couple cds finding out it doesn't work.

Kevin0915 03-06-2009 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by married to the road (Post 441247)

There are plenty other suggestions on there also. Just don't be like my buddy. Someone told him that if you set the cd on fire for a second, and then put the fire out, it would like melt the scratches out or something. He burnt up a couple cds finding out it doesn't work.

Now that looks like it works.....and if it dont, that dont put me out much of anything except the baking soda. I can make a peanut butter and toothpaste sandwich. =) i will have to try that....will report back to you what happens....

Ridge Runner 03-06-2009 07:00 PM

Just don't be like my buddy. Someone told him that if you set the cd on fire for a second, and then put the fire out, it would like melt the scratches out or something. He burnt up a couple cds finding out it doesn't work.

Sounds like another installment of "Cooking With Rev." :lol2:

Jackrabbit379 03-07-2009 02:50 AM

:lol:
I've heard of peanut butter, tooth paste, windex, and other things for cleaning CDs. Me personally, I would have to pass on that. I couldn't see myself spreading out peanut butter on a CD. :lol:
I think I would have to either replace the CD, or get it cleaned professionally.

roady91 03-07-2009 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by married to the road (Post 441247)

That's a good instruction video! I'll try it out this weekend and let you know if I was successful :roll3:

Biscuit Lips 03-07-2009 10:36 AM

Yeah, I tried peanut butter once and it took a long, long time to wipe it all off the cd.