Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Overweight concerns (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/36583-overweight-concerns.html)

607 12-27-2008 04:49 AM

Overweight concerns

Scaled today after loading and got the following weights (after sliding axles and fifth wheel)
Steers 12520
Drives 34040
Tandems 34040
Gross 80560

I know, Over on gross and all axles. Qaulcom'ed my dispatcher he said to "run with it", and gave me a route to use that had the fewest scales on it. Dispatcher says company will pay for ticket(s) if needed.

My question is what are the negatives for me? I ask because I realised that if I am involved in an accident I will be the one in hot water with the law. Is it reportable to DAC or DMV or others? Points on license? Am I missing anything?

Windwalker 12-27-2008 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 607 (Post 430904)
Scaled today after loading and got the following weights (after sliding axles and fifth wheel)
Steers 12520
Drives 34040
Tandems 34040
Gross 80560

I know, Over on gross and all axles. Qaulcom'ed my dispatcher he said to "run with it", and gave me a route to use that had the fewest scales on it. Dispatcher says company will pay for ticket(s) if needed.

My question is what are the negatives for me? I ask because I realised that if I am involved in an accident I will be the one in hot water with the law. Is it reportable to DAC or DMV or others? Points on license? Am I missing anything?

Points on license, no. Reportable to DAC... Perhaps, but may not be considered a black mark. I would doubt DAC would know about it. Some scales may not even pull you around back. But, you didn't say how much fuel you have. At 7 1/2 pounds per gallon, if your tanks are full, you may have to run with half tanks and fuel twice as often. And, make sure you keep your log book up to date. If you get pulled around back, they'll check that.

Does your truck have an APU? If so, I understand they allow 2K over for that. It was an incentive for companies to install them.

allan5oh 12-27-2008 07:33 AM

Leave the trailer tandems where they are, that's fine, but slide the 5th wheel further back until you get the "correct" setting and just leave it there! No point in sliding it up for lighter loads, and back for heavier ones. Maybe do 100 lbs over on the steer. You'll be ~400 lbs over on the drives.

My "rule of thumb" is 1 mile = 1 less pound of fuel. You'll be fine within 500 miles. Choose your fuel ups wisely(using the computer estimated fuel usage is great).

Do all this, and you only have to worry about scales for the first 300 miles or so.

BTW, where are your tanks located?

Jumbo 12-27-2008 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windwalker (Post 430911)
Points on license, no. Reportable to DAC... Perhaps, but may not be considered a black mark. I would doubt DAC would know about it. Some scales may not even pull you around back. But, you didn't say how much fuel you have. At 7 1/2 pounds per gallon, if your tanks are full, you may have to run with half tanks and fuel twice as often. And, make sure you keep your log book up to date. If you get pulled around back, they'll check that.

Does your truck have an APU? If so, I understand they allow 2K over for that. It was an incentive for companies to install them.

I believe they allow you 400 pounds for an apu, not 2000.

Rev.Vassago 12-27-2008 02:06 PM

That is correct. 400 lbs for the APU.

Malaki86 12-27-2008 02:20 PM

What's going to happen if you get stopped at a scale that won't let you move until the weight is legal, such as Maryland or Ohio. Are they going to pay you for the time you'll be sitting there waiting on another truck to arrive and the labor to transfer some weight from one truck to the other?

Windwalker 12-27-2008 02:51 PM

At one point, I had been told 2,000. And, I was told that it was incentive for companies to get them. I don't remember where I was when I was told that, and it came from another driver. Might be one state, I don't know. I had never heard that it was 400, but I'm sure that comes from a much more reliable source then mine.

607 12-27-2008 03:02 PM

allan5oh wrote:
Quote:

BTW, where are your tanks located?
Today 02:18 AM
Up front next to the steers. Fuel definitely affects the steers.

Windwalker wrote:
Quote:

you didn't say how much fuel you have
About 3/4 (200 gal total capacity). If I burn off fuel to get weight down that will put me at about 1/4.

Jumbo and Rev.Vassago mentioned an allowance of 400lbs. for an apu, which is what the paperwork in my permit book says. However our safety dept. says Florida does not allow it. Of course I'm in Florida now. Company is based in Florida.

My main concern is not how to fix the problem, (although I appreciate the help) but how does it affect me when the DOT issues an overweight ticket.

Windwalker wrote:
Quote:

Points on license, no. Reportable to DAC... Perhaps, but may not be considered a black mark.
Of course if an accident/incident occurs I guess it will automatically be my fault because I didn't follow the law by being overweight.

I'm thinking in the future I'll let Mr. Dispatcher know that he should take he risk and drive that load, and find a load that will be legal for me.

Thanks to everyone for your help,
Dan

607 12-27-2008 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86 (Post 430938)
What's going to happen if you get stopped at a scale that won't let you move until the weight is legal, such as Maryland or Ohio. Are they going to pay you for the time you'll be sitting there waiting on another truck to arrive and the labor to transfer some weight from one truck to the other?

Thanks, another good point to think about,
Dan

Snowman7 12-27-2008 03:47 PM

I dont run OTR so I dont deal with this nearly as much as some of you guys but I have been stopped twice, once in Mich and once in OH. In Mich I was somewhere between 1-2k over on my drives and total gross and the guy let me go. He said they give the first 1000lbs anyway cause we'll just dispute the scale's accuracy in court. The time in OH I was way under on gross but 1400 over on my drives and he did and said basically the same thing as the MI DOT guy and also let me go. Does this sound normal or have I just been lucky. Is it possible the name on the truck (UPS) gets a little leeway over an OTR carrier or O/O? BTW I pull doubles with a single screw tractor and there is no sliding axles or fifth wheels. All we can do is rework the way the freight is loaded. Will this guy really have a problem being only 500 over total gross?

Malaki86 12-27-2008 04:02 PM

It really depends on the mood of the scale master. I've been ticketed in Maryland for being 50# over on my trailer, but far from over gross.

thebaldeagle655 12-27-2008 04:15 PM

Unfortunately it al depends on the mood of the man running the scales. I have been sent on my way when I know I was over 1000 lbs over gross and stopped and had to knock 448 pounds of ice off the trailer once in Fort Morgan, Co to get it down to legal weight.

The major negative I can see is that, if you are busted, they could make you sit at the scale until another truck shows up to take your excess weight off of you and get you legal. Another is that this goes on the companies safestat score. Meaning that when a driver crosses the scale and the scale operator punches in the license number or MC number, the safestat score is displayed to the scale operator. If the company has repeated violation and a bad safestat score, they end being subjected to inspections a bit more often than companies with good safestat scores.

The other negative, in my opinion, the most important to consider is that a lot of drivers forget that this is in fact an equipment violation. YOUR personal insurance company will see this when they review your insurance next time. Repeated equipment violations, ie., overweight, tires, lights, etc. very well could mean more money coming out of YOUR, not the companies pockets for YOUR insurance premium on your personal vehicles!

Double R 12-27-2008 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86 (Post 430951)
It really depends on the mood of the scale master. I've been ticketed in Maryland for being 50# over on my trailer, but far from over gross.

You must have caught him in a bad mood. I use to run out of Baltimore every friday #200lbs over on my trailer tandems but always under gross. They pulled me around back once and I showed him all my scale tickets. He said that I was fine and that aloow 300lbs over on tandems. How true that is, I don't know but he was in a good mood.

By the way, that at the scale on I70.

Double R 12-27-2008 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 607
I'm thinking in the future I'll let Mr. Dispatcher know that he should take he risk and drive that load, and find a load that will be legal for me.

I would have told him that this time and not wait for the next time.

In the future Mr. Dispatcher is going to say, "You ran it once like that, you can do it again."

Malaki86 12-27-2008 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double R (Post 430960)
You must have caught him in a bad mood. I use to run out of Baltimore every friday #200lbs over on my trailer tandems but always under gross. They pulled me around back once and I showed him all my scale tickets. He said that I was fine and that aloow 300lbs over on tandems. How true that is, I don't know but he was in a good mood.

By the way, that at the scale on I70.

They got me at the Finzel scale on 68. Needless to say, it was a bunch of BS.

Double R 12-27-2008 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86 (Post 430963)
They got me at the Finzel scale on 68. Needless to say, it was a bunch of BS.

You are correct, the Finzel scale is a bunch of bull. They got us many times in the past. Now unless we have a delivery in Laval or Cumberland, we all AVOID 68.

They got me two years ago on a "log violation". Needless to say, all I got was a warning because I called him on it.

LightsChromeHorsepower 12-27-2008 07:02 PM

Out west here I think all scales allow you a 200# scale variation tolerance.

You're fine on the drives & trailer. Burn a little fuel & you'll be OK on the steers too.

I flirt with 80K almost every load. I figure they pay me to deal with it, not to whine to my dispatcher.

BigDiesel 12-27-2008 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightsChromeHorsepower (Post 430972)
Out west here I think all scales allow you a 200# scale variation tolerance.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Riiiiiiiiiigggggghhhhhhttttttt......

This proves how little you really know......

LightsChromeHorsepower 12-27-2008 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel (Post 430973)

Riiiiiiiiiigggggghhhhhhttttttt......

This proves how little you really know......

A punk, a bully and factually incorrect as usual. Refer to the following link;

Truck Scales Weigh Stations DOT Rules

Quote;

Over-Gross Weight Tolerance: California will allow 200 lbs. For anything more than 200 lbs over, you will get a ticket.

Over-Axle Weight Tolerance: California will allow 200 lbs without a ticket.

To quote one of your own previos posts;

"Do not give advice to others, as you are an imbecile and are still clueless....."

BigDiesel 12-27-2008 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightsChromeHorsepower (Post 430976)
A punk, a bully and factually incorrect as usual. Refer to the following link;

Truck Scales Weigh Stations DOT Rules

Quote;

Over-Gross Weight Tolerance: California will allow 200 lbs. For anything more than 200 lbs over, you will get a ticket.

Over-Axle Weight Tolerance: California will allow 200 lbs without a ticket.

To quote one of your own previos posts;

"Do not give advice to others, as you are an imbecile and are still clueless....."

LCH is wrong again........

Roll over Woodburn, Ashland, Umatilla, Farewell Bend, KFalls, Ridgefield, WA scales, etc..... With your (edited) thought process on axle weights and see what happens.....(edited)

LightsChromeHorsepower 12-27-2008 08:38 PM

607- Here is the info on FLA-

Over-Gross Weight Tolerance: Florida will allow you 200 lbs over with no action.

Over-Gross Weight Procedures: If you get a ticket they will not make you offload unless you are 6,000 lbs or more over. The ticket acts as a permit and you will not get another ticket at a Florida scale if you are on the same load. If you buy fuel and are pulled into another scale, you can show your fuel ticket and they will add up the weight to make sure you didn't load more freight.

Overweight Fines and Consequences: Over gross or over axle fines are $.05/lb. If you are over gross and over axle, the fine is $10 for the first 600 lbs plus $.05/lb over that. They will give you 20 days to pay the ticket. If you don't pay it, the next truck with your DOT number that crosses a Florida scale will be detained until the fine is paid.

I think with your weights, you are probably fine.

And this is verifiable information information. Not some cyber-bully engagng in non-factual ad-hominen attacks. Just Google it and you can get various sources for scale tolerance policies in different states. The website I linked to in my previous post gives the following for OR & WA;

Oregon;

Over-Gross Weight Tolerance: If you are 500-1,000 lbs over you may only get a warning if you are not a repeat offender, depending on officer discretion.

Over-Gross Weight Procedures: If you get a ticket you will generally not have to offload. They will inform you of any weight-limited bridges up the road. If you are over gross and cross a load limited bridge, the fine is $311, if you received an over weight ticket from a scale prior to this, you also will get a ticket for failure to comply.

Washington;

Over-Gross Weight Tolerance: There is no over gross weight tolerance.

Overweight Fines and Consequences: As of December, 2005, over gross fines were $167 + $.03/lb. If you cross another scale over weight you may get another ticket.

Those are the facts, presented in a (hopefully) respectful, helpful and intelligent manner. Of course I understand that my preference for communicating in such a way probably disqualifies me from ever achieving any stature on this board, where you seem to have be a narcissistic punk and bully to get any respect.

I will also note that if your truck is clean & everything works, your logbook is current & legal, and your personal appearance & presentation are good, you stand a way better chance of being shown mercy by a LEO, especially on something like a small overweight. If you want a career as a truck driver, you will have to learn to manage a lot of small situations like this. Don't whine, don't bitch, say you're sorry, say thank you. I get messed with a lot less since I grew up, cut my hair, shaved and lost my biker attitude. If some people show LEO's, managers or customers the same attitude they exhibit here they are making their lives much more difficult than they have to be.

BigDiesel 12-27-2008 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ;430983

Oregon;

Over-Gross Weight Tolerance: If you are 500-1,000 lbs over you may only get a warning if you are not a repeat offender, depending on officer discretion.

Over-Gross Weight Procedures: If you get a ticket you will generally not have to offload. They will inform you of any weight-limited bridges up the road. If you are over gross and cross a load limited bridge, the fine is $311, if you received an over weight ticket from a scale prior to this, you also will get a ticket for failure to comply.

Washington;

Over-Gross Weight Tolerance: There is no over gross weight tolerance.

Overweight Fines and Consequences: As of December, 2005, over gross fines were $167 + $.03/lb. If you cross another scale over weight you may get another ticket.

Those are the facts, presented in a (hopefully) respectful, helpful and intelligent manner. Of course I understand that my preference for communicating in such a way probably disqualifies me from ever achieving any stature on this board, where you seem to have be a narcissistic punk and bully to get any respect.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Shows how bright you are by getting your info from a 3rd party pay site..... I am typing slow so LCH can understand.....

LCH,

Roll over any Oregon scale with your dilluted axle weight thought process and see what happens.... When get that red light and are pulled in, make sure you take your compooter in and tell the Weighmaster that he/she is wrong because a internet site said you were ok on your axle weight......:roll::rofl::roll::lol2::roll:

Also use that dimwitted defense when you appear before a Judge.... Let me know when this happens as I want to be in the courtroom....:lol::lol::lol:

Or maybe you can bring a portable CB in and have another BBR act as your attorney......:rofl:

LightsChromeHorsepower 12-27-2008 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel (Post 430991)
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Shows how bright you are by getting your info from a 3rd party pay site..... I am typing slow so LCH can understand.....

LCH,

Roll over any Oregon scale with your dilluted axle weight thought process and see what happens.... When get that red light and are pulled in, make sure you take your compooter in and tell the Weighmaster that he/she is wrong because a internet site said you were ok on your axle weight......:roll::rofl::roll::lol2::roll:

Also use that dimwitted defense when you appear before a Judge.... Let me know when this happens as I want to be in the courtroom....:lol::lol::lol:

Or maybe you can bring a portable CB in and have another BBR act as your attorney......:rofl:

I can't count the number of times I've been through Ashland or K Falls a few pounds over on one group. My first time through Wheeler Ridge last week I was over on drives and trailer. I have NEVER gotten a ticket for 200 or 300 pounds. When I cleaned the previous drivers stuff out of my current truck I found a 3,000 pound ticket that stated "Driver allowed to continue to destination to offload"

The load shown as my avatar went from Eugene, Oregon to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. With my permits I was still over on steers and drivers. I took everthing out of my side boxes, all my chains & binders off my headboard and was still a bit over with less than 1/2 fuel. I crossed every scale, no problem.

Because someone's opinion or life experience is different than yours, it doesn't mean they're wrong or that their sexuality is suspect.

BigDiesel 12-27-2008 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightsChromeHorsepower (Post 431002)
I can't count the number of times I've been through Ashland or K Falls a few pounds over on one group. My first time through Wheeler Ridge last week I was over on drives and trailer. I have NEVER gotten a ticket for 200 or 300 pounds. When I cleaned the previous drivers stuff out of my current truck I found a 3,000 pound ticket that stated "Driver allowed to continue to destination to offload"

The load shown as my avatar went from Eugene, Oregon to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. With my permits I was still over on steers and drivers. I took everthing out of my side boxes, all my chains & binders off my headboard and was still a bit over with less than 1/2 fuel. I crossed every scale, no problem.

Because someone's opinion or life experience is different than yours, it doesn't mean they're wrong or that their sexuality is suspect.

Now you are comparing to OS/OD permit loads ????

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::roll::roll3::roll::roll3:

Keep grasping at those straws LCH........ :lol::lol::lol:

Rev.Vassago 12-27-2008 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightsChromeHorsepower (Post 431002)

I agree, and any more references by anyone to any other current or former CAD members' sexuality will result in a time out.

It isn't difficult to have a civil debate without bringing personal attacks into it. If that is too difficult for any of you to handle, then you best leave now.

*FYI, just because I referenced your post, LCH, does not mean this is directed at you specifically. It is directed at everyone.

LightsChromeHorsepower 12-27-2008 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel (Post 431004)

You can permit weight, just like you can dimensions. It just has to be an irreducible load, that is whatever is on the trailer is one piece with nothing that can be eaily removed to make it lighter.

Single trip overweight permits are quite common;

Western Regional Overlegal Permits

Of course this is something that may not be known by those who think that dragging a box down the interstate makes them a truck driver. The more you talk here, the less knowledgable you appear. Why don't you just give up? I think you could probably say, "Gosh, I think you might be right" once in your life without suffering a heart attack.

If memory serves me correctly, I was grossing about 105K with that crusher, way over 34k on the drives. I very nearly traded front tires with a buddy because he had the wider based 22.5's that would allow you to run heavier on your steer axle. (The max weight with a single trip permit is based on so many pounds per inch of tire width for your steers) When I hauled ag we had a seasonal overweight permit that allowed us to run heavy in Cali. I think some states allow blanket overweight permits to loggers too.

Oh, and the website I'm linking to here is .gov. So now you'll probably say that it's wrong too. To quote one of your own previous posts;

You might want to loosen that tinfoil wrapped around your head.....

LightsChromeHorsepower 12-27-2008 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago (Post 431005)
I agree, and any more references by anyone to any other current or former CAD members' sexuality will result in a time out.

It isn't difficult to have a civil debate without bringing personal attacks into it. If that is too difficult for any of you to handle, then you best leave now.

*FYI, just because I referenced your post, LCH, does not mean this is directed at you specifically. It is directed at everyone.

I understand, I agree. I do find it interesting that one member can make all the following statements on this board and not get a "time out"

(edited - please stop posting those quotes over and over. I've deleted them twice already, plus edited them out of the offending posts. Reposting them is not helping in any way, shape, or form)

I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, and I understand how difficult and thankless it is to be a moderator on any board, much less this one, but I'm just curious; where do you draw the line? Egregious, ad-hominen attacks really don't improve the experience of what could be a pretty cool community here. Any feedback from you would be appreciated.

Thanks for everything.

Rev.Vassago 12-27-2008 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightsChromeHorsepower (Post 431008)
I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, and I understand how difficult and thankless it is to be a moderator on any board, much less this one, but I'm just curious; where do you draw the line?

I believe I already drew the line a few posts up.

golfhobo 12-27-2008 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel (Post 431004)

WHEN have you been close to either with a load of flowers? So, what do YOU know about it?

By your OWN admission, you rarely get east of the Cascades, so what do you know of other states' requirements?

Cali is "out west" and they DO allow 200 lbs over on the steers. (From the horse's mouth at Banning.)

There are only a FEW states that require 12,000 on the steers anyways! MOST are based on tire PSI OR are set to 20,000 lbs!

40 lbs over on ANY axle group would not even get a second look from ANY scalemaster I've EVER encountered! And much more is allowed for steers due to fueling "variances."

Why don't you stick to giving advice about things you KNOW about like... running a successful trucking business of sorts... and leave the REAL truck driving questions to those who do 48 states?

LightsChromeHorsepower 12-27-2008 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfhobo (Post 431021)
WHEN have you been close to either with a load of flowers? So, what do YOU know about it?

By your OWN admission, you rarely get east of the Cascades, so what do you know of other states' requirements?

Cali is "out west" and they DO allow 200 lbs over on the steers. (From the horse's mouth at Banning.)

There are only a FEW states that require 12,000 on the steers anyways! MOST are based on tire PSI OR are set to 20,000 lbs!

40 lbs over on ANY axle group would not even get a second look from ANY scalemaster I've EVER encountered! And much more is allowed for steers due to fueling "variances."

Why don't you stick to giving advice about things you KNOW about like... running a successful trucking business of sorts... and leave the REAL truck driving questions to those who do 48 states?

It's tire width, not inflation (PSI) but thanks for the support. Have you considered taking this guy to court for at least one of the things he said about you? My bet is that he will totally ignore this thread now that he is proved incorrect.

golfhobo 12-27-2008 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 607 (Post 430904)
Steers 12520
Drives 34040
Tandems 34040
Gross 80560

Was this with full tanks? [Is there a scale within 300 miles?] If so, slide the 5th wheel back one or two notches (depending on whether it is a double or single bar.) Then slide the tandems UP one notch. Try to divide the overage between the drives and tandems. MOST scales will not even look at the overage, especially if you can burn some fuel to get under or close to gross. Then, when you have burned off half a tank, reposition and don't fill your tanks over half full. (560 lbs / 8 lbs a gallon = 70 gallons.) Keep your tanks 70 gallons low AT the scales.

Yes, you have it on qualcomm, but that may not save you. I would have asked to have something taken OFF the load. Don't worry about DAC or DMV. There are no points (that I'm aware of) for an overweight ticket.

And, don't GET into an accident! ;)

The easiest way to deal with overgross is to have it in your fuel tanks, and plan your route so that you will burn it off before you cross an open scale.

Rev.Vassago 12-27-2008 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightsChromeHorsepower (Post 431023)
Have you considered taking this guy to court for at least one of the things he said about you?

What exactly could he be sued for? A username cutting down another user name?

Sorry, but that's just plain ridiculous.

Rev.Vassago 12-28-2008 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfhobo (Post 431027)
Then, when you have burned off half a tank, reposition and don't fill your tanks over half full. (560 lbs / 8 lbs a gallon = 70 gallons.)

Diesel doesn't weigh 8 lbs per gallon. Depending upon where you are, the time of year, and what additives have been added, diesel fuel will weigh anywhere from 6.75 lbs per gallon to 7.25 lbs per gallon. To be safe, I wouldn't count on it weighing any more than 6 lbs per gallon, just to give some breathing room.

Here's a simple fuel weight calculator, although YMMV.

RV Calculators - Liquid Weight Calculator

LightsChromeHorsepower 12-28-2008 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago (Post 431028)
What exactly could he be sued for? A username cutting down another user name?

Sorry, but that's just plain ridiculous.

Calling someone a child molester is slander dude.

(I've asked you nicely to stop reposting this crap.)

Rev.Vassago 12-28-2008 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightsChromeHorsepower (Post 431034)
Calling someone a child molester is slander dude

First off, there is nowhere on this website where he has been called that. I made sure of that.

Secondly, I doubt "BigDiesel" is his real name, and it would be up to golfhobo to not only figure out who he is, but where he lives.

Thirdly, slander refers to the spoken word. Libel refers to the written word.

Fourthly, the statement has to be proven to have damaged, or have the potential of damaging the reputation of the person being written about.

And fifthly, you could be sued just as easily for rebroadcasting those statements.

Some intersting information regarding slander and libel can be found here:

FAQ about Defamation -- Chilling Effects Clearinghouse

golfhobo 12-28-2008 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightsChromeHorsepower (Post 431023)
It's tire width, not inflation (PSI) but thanks for the support. Have you considered taking this guy to court for at least one of the things he said about you? My bet is that he will totally ignore this thread now that he is proved incorrect.

I knew that wasn't a fully encompassing answer, It IS actually more about width, it has to do with how much rubber meets the road under weight. But, you get my drift. I was not referencing the PSI of the tire, but the LOAD weight limits of the tire.... which has to do with width.

I wouldn't waste my TIME taking him to court. This is not a "public newspaper." He's not worth the effort. Besides..... the Rev is on top of it! :hellno::lol2:

There's really no recourse against internet Rambos, except to put them in their place. Unfortunately, doing that sometimes puts one's self in a bad light/place. I've proven I can shut him down, but it cost me. He's proven what type of "man" he is. He goes out of his way to pick on women and "non drivers" as if that makes him special. The sad thing is... I think he BELIEVES that. Not consciously, of course. That would require intelligence and education. No, with him, I believe it is more primitive and pre-ordained, kind of like Darwin's theory of evolution.

Oh, and I guarantee he will return to this thread! :lol:

Wow.... I see the conversation is getting ahead of me. I'll have to post more quickly! :lol2:

jonp 12-28-2008 12:43 AM

Count on diesel to weigh 8lbs/gal if your near your axle weight and are figuring on fueling to allow yourself some lea-way.

VA is the same on over-weight tickets as FL in impounding trucks for non-payment. It happened to me. I rolled up on the scales in Troutdale and got a red-light. Not a problem as I was legal all the way around. Grabbed my log, permits and eased on inside. Said good morning and started to slide the books on under the window and the cop said he didnt need to see them. That was the good news. The bad news was that he was impounding my truck.
"WHAT???? "
"Don't get alarmed" he said. "One of your drivers got an overweight fine here last month. He had 30 days to pay it, didnt and the Commonwealth of Virginia has suspended your companies Authority to operate here until its paid. We seize the first truck that comes across the scales and your it."
I laughed and said "ok, now what?"
He said just pay the fine and its all set. "We take comchecks, visa and cash"
I laughed again and said " I bet you do" Let me get you a comcheck" Called my dispatcher up and he laughed and said he'd never heard of such a thing but no problem and approved the comcheck for about $100 i think it was. He also wanted the truck number of the non-payer. Guess who's a** was in a crack for that one. The DOT was a good sport about it and we all got a chuckle.

Rev.Vassago 12-28-2008 12:43 AM

I think enough has already been said regarding the subject of libel, defamation, and child molesting. Let's please keep this thread on topic from here on in. Thanks.

jonp 12-28-2008 12:46 AM

As for overweight: I never run overgross. some will let you slide as long as your not way over, some won't. I have yet to get a ticket for being over axle as long as my gross is ok. The scale master has always told me what the weight is and to pull over, move it and come across again. I've done this from Maine to California. I'll point out that I'm not way over, usually if I am its 1,000lbs or less.

golfhobo 12-28-2008 12:47 AM

I already said that the subject was closed. Back on topic. ~Rev.