Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Reporting accident late to DAC (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/36563-reporting-accident-late-dac.html)

607 12-24-2008 06:29 AM

Reporting accident late to DAC

I was speaking with another company driver at a reciever, he mentioned that he had an accident. He also asked (the saftey dept.) if the accident would be reported to the DAC. The response was that it would be reported ... when he left the company. That sounds hinkey to me. Maybe I'm being the fool here, but I believe there is a possibility they might wait to report it when he leaves. According to the onesided info i got from the driver he is not going to be terminated so it may be quite a while before he leaves the company.

Shouldn't accidents/incidents be reported in a reasonable time frame? If they are not reported in a timely manner is there any recourse?

I know the info I have is only one account, and may not be accurate, but for the purpose of the questions lets pretend it is.

Thanks, Dan

golfhobo 12-24-2008 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 607 (Post 430432)
I was speaking with another company driver at a reciever, he mentioned that he had an accident. He also asked (the saftey dept.) if the accident would be reported to the DAC. The response was that it would be reported ... when he left the company. That sounds hinkey to me. Maybe I'm being the fool here, but I believe there is a possibility they might wait to report it when he leaves. According to the onesided info i got from the driver he is not going to be terminated so it may be quite a while before he leaves the company.

Shouldn't accidents/incidents be reported in a reasonable time frame? If they are not reported in a timely manner is there any recourse?

I know the info I have is only one account, and may not be accurate, but for the purpose of the questions lets pretend it is.

Thanks, Dan

Well, I'm not the resident expert on DAC, but it sounds like his company MIGHT be prepared to cut him a break. i.e: If he stays with them for awhile, and has no other incidents, it might affect the way it IS reported.

When you apply for your second and future jobs, you sign a release that your "new" company sends to your old companies showing them that you are releasing them to report aspects of your employment record with them TO DAC, so that the new company can get the info from DAC.

As I understand it, there is no requirement for them to report anything to DAC until that time. I also understand that it costs them money to report things to DAC, so they may not be in a hurry.

I don't think your friends story is "hinkey." And if they didn't terminate him for the accident, he better plan to STAY there if he can. I see no advantage to wanting things to be reported to DAC right away... so, I see no reason to WANT recourse if they are not.

I'm sure that if I am wrong, someone else will come along and straighten it out for you.

Uturn2001 12-24-2008 07:30 AM

Reports made to DAC are strictly voluntary. There is no rule or law saying a company must report employment information to DAC or use to DAC to assist them in doing mandatory background checks on prospective drivers.

Companies that do report to DAC usually only do so once the employee has left the company. They make one report outlining that person's employment and safety record. It is my understanding that it does not cost the company anything to report information to DAC, only to get the reports they wish.

When a person applies to a new company the applicant then signs a paper, often at the bottom of the application, that authorizes the release of the applicants employment and safety information from all sources the "new" company wishes to use.

607 12-27-2008 04:22 AM

Thanks Golfhobo and Uturn2001 for the quick response and insights regaurding the DAC process. The point about it being a voluntary system and timely reporting not being required are important points I forgot about.

Thanks again for your help,
Dan