Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Ouch 20 mph over ...get a lawyer (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/36350-ouch-20-mph-over-get-lawyer.html)

BIG JEEP on 44's 12-02-2008 07:21 PM

Ouch 20 mph over ...get a lawyer

On my way to work last night I was on us-6 west in lakewood,co this was at 2230 mdt so the 6 lane section of highway is 3 ln E and 3 lane W was fairly empty with a speed limit of 65 mph I was doing 70-72mph or 5-7 mph over...I was passed by a red f-150 doing 85+ ,and about 1/2 a mile later I get a set of disco lights behind me ,and was pulled over ,well the officer asked if I knew why I was pulled over ...I said , No sir...His reply speeding ,and do you know how fast , And I replied no ...The officer stated 85 in a 65 ...Well that's a 20mph over and 6pt violation...This pisses me off b/c I have not done more than 5-7 mph over in almost 5 yrs . I know I could from experience in traffic court in my early days get an easy reduction to 2pt and 10mph over ,but I'm told that with a good drving record and a lawyer that it's possble dismissal or a drop to a non moving ...I'm also told that in Coloado part of the usual deal obtainable is driving school ,but you'll only get if represented by a lawyer ,So I'm spending $1000.00 for my traffic lawyer ,And now have wait to see how this shakes b4 I head off to CON-WAY'S orientation...I don't want to spend the $1000.00 ,but I know how the courts work here in this area of Colorado ,so best to play the game the way they like ,which is hiring familliar people of the DA to represent you...What a sham .

Scoe 12-02-2008 07:50 PM

I don't care what state you are in, if they are following the Federal directive of 2005 then you can NOT go to driving school to get a ticket dismissed/reduced. It is not an option anymore for CDL holders.

BIG JEEP on 44's 12-02-2008 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoe (Post 427095)
I don't care what state you are in, if they are following the Federal directive of 2005 then you can NOT go to driving school to get a ticket dismissed/reduced. It is not an option anymore for CDL holders.

I had a ticket in a CMV in Chouteau Oklahoma in dec 2006 I paid $50 on top of the$94.00 ticket ,and they held the ticket for 6 months and as long as I did not get another in a 12 month period it was dismissed . I got the ticet b/c I did not see the obstructed sign saying speed reduction ahead from 65-50 ,and so I was doing 60 in a 50mph in a CMV ...and it's surely not on my MVR ...it's all about $$$ .

Mr. Ford95 12-02-2008 08:58 PM

Did you tell the officer that he had messed up and that you were actually only going 5 over and that a red pickup had just come blasting by you and that was who he picked up?

belpre122 12-02-2008 09:12 PM

Isn't anything 15 MPH over the posted limit now a CDL disqualification? That's what is on the bulletin board at work..........along with the railroad crossing etc, etc...................

Rev.Vassago 12-02-2008 09:19 PM

"But your honor, I was only breaking the law a little bit!"

BIG JEEP on 44's 12-02-2008 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 (Post 427104)
Did you tell the officer that he had messed up and that you were actually only going 5 over and that a red pickup had just come blasting by you and that was who he picked up?

No I just said I was not doing 85mph in 65mph...And politely left it there,and took my ticket.

BIG JEEP on 44's 12-02-2008 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago (Post 427110)
"But your honor, I was only breaking the law a little bit!"

I don't have an issue with getting cited for the 5-7mph over I was doing , As it certainly is a big difference from the claimed 20mph over ...And I know I will not be getting worse than 2pts and 10over ,which is more than I was going ,but better than raped for 20mph.

Rev.Vassago 12-02-2008 09:39 PM

Fair enough. I thought you were trying to get out of it entirely. My bad.

BIG JEEP on 44's 12-02-2008 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago (Post 427118)
Fair enough. I thought you were trying to get out of it entirely. My bad.

No I drive 5-7mph over much of time on the big roads ,As it's rare to get ticketed for such ,and I'm not worried about a 5-7 mph ticket b/c it is not going to keep me out of a job if do get 1 ...But 20ph over I have not done in about 5 years...This ticket is not accurate of the infraction ,so I get 2 spend big $$$ to getit either severely reduced or possibly gone ,when the ticket should be 72 in a 65 a ticket I would just pay and go about my way .