Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Tools! (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/36309-tools.html)

dobry4u 11-28-2008 06:20 PM

Tools!

It's Christmas time and the family is asking what I want for Christmas. I have really nothing in my tool box but a few fuses, light bulbs, vice grips, and a pair of rubber gloves.

Could you please share with me what tools/items in your tool box you "just couldn't do without"? Thanks!!! :bow:

Rev.Vassago 11-28-2008 06:28 PM

- A full set of wrenches, both standard and metric.

- A set of Allen wrenches

- A set of Torx wrenches.

- Plyers with coated handles

- A set of screwdrivers, both philips and flat head

- Zip ties (these come in handy in a lot of situations)

- A pair of Channel Lock pliers

- electrical tape and duct tape

- extra glad hand rubbers

Orangetxguy 11-28-2008 06:33 PM

A "chain repair" tool. http://tirechain.com/tirechain-pliars-large.htm

Will make your winter driving experience so much more enjoyable, since you would be able to repair those chains so much faster...and easier.

belpre122 11-28-2008 06:49 PM

A churchkey? ;)

vavega 11-28-2008 07:59 PM

a good size knife, a la buck for getting the glad hand grommets out so i don't ruin my nails.

fixin's for tiebacks. our shop has them prepackaged that includes two open links of chain, a hook, and a short run of chain. i always have 2 in my toolbox.

the channel locks for the chain kit

2 short bungee cords in case the above won't work. cheap ones so i don't mind leaving them with the trailer for the next guy.

3 larger bungee cords holding down my hand truck and broom

duct tape it really is miracle stuff you know

and a pair of mac snippers to cut cable seals. i have trouble holding up and using the big bolt cutters and these are quicker. 3 snips and i'm done.

i used to carry a crowbar but that's when i did a lot of paper to get the nails up out of the floor.

Kevin0915 11-28-2008 08:16 PM

If you are lucky enough, sweet talk one of the guys in the shop, he might get you a set of glad-hands, and rubbers to go in them. I didn't have jack in my truck...you started with more than me, but every week, i'm buying something to put in my side compartment.

what about a good size socket set? or maybe even a breaker bar....like someone once told me, better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Walking Eagle 11-28-2008 08:20 PM

Many rolls of true duct tape, not the shi11 they sell in truck stops, can fix just about anything. :) :) Also JB Weld. I have actualy fixed a cracked block with it to get a truck home. Let the coolant drain down, used a propane torch to dry it, packed it with JB, next morning refilled with water then took it from Wa. to Fl. with no leaking. :)

Kevin0915 11-28-2008 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walking Eagle (Post 426309)
Many rolls of true duct tape, not the shi11 they sell in truck stops, can fix just about anything. :) :) Also JB Weld. I have actualy fixed a cracked block with it to get a truck home. Let the coolant drain down, used a propane torch to dry it, packed it with JB, next morning refilled with water then took it from Wa. to Fl. with no leaking. :)

i'd agree with the duct tape. Forgot all about JB Weld. Say, can you 'legally' carry a propane torch in your side compartment?? just curious. if you can, then i'm tossin' in my camping grill. =)

wepwawet 11-28-2008 08:56 PM

Hammer and 1 of each screwdriver. If that cant fix it call the company.

Rev.Vassago 11-28-2008 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin0915 (Post 426316)
i'd agree with the duct tape. Forgot all about JB Weld. Say, can you 'legally' carry a propane torch in your side compartment?? just curious. if you can, then i'm tossin' in my camping grill. =)

Yes, you can legally carry propane, but it has to be secure.