Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Werner Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/36122-werner-drivers.html)

classicxl 11-08-2008 07:39 PM

Werner Drivers

Any big blue drivers out there either past or present.

BIG JEEP on 44's 11-08-2008 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicxl (Post 422263)
Any big blue drivers out there either past or present.

27 months ...2 months trainer

Malaki86 11-09-2008 12:14 AM

Werner has a nice dedicated account I'd like to get on (already called - it's full). It's hauling glass out of Bridgeport, WV. That place is only about 20 miles from my house. Also, my company used to have that account. Now we broker them off of Werner, just not as many as we used to run.

classicxl 11-09-2008 12:49 AM

2 years with big blue before buying my own truck and going elsewhere and i know what you mean about get on the dedicated runs really got to have a good working relationship with someone in the office to get you in. i did 6 months of regional for big blue in 11 western out of Phoenix terminal.

ordinaryguy 11-09-2008 04:43 PM

been with Werner for almost 3 years now, will be 3 years in Feb...currently run NetOps out of Indianapolis, IN...was on the 48state Dedicated Anheuser Busch account till i decided it was time to be home daily, has it's pro's and cons...

classicxl 11-09-2008 10:11 PM

yea did some beer runs for awhile filling in for a driver who was on vacation. Not a bad gig but always heavy and it seemed to take forever to get unloaded once you got to a distribution dealer

ordinaryguy 11-09-2008 10:34 PM

was a good account to be on...2500-3000 miles a week......and it also depends what DC or Wholesaler you went to, longest time ive waited was 7hrs, but that was because the computers were down and they couldnt load me into their system heh..but the fastest i've been unloaded is about 20 minutes...usually in Granite City, IL...

classicxl 11-10-2008 12:45 AM

Yea had a good time driving for big blue and thinking about bringing a couple of trucks on with them if I found the right drivers. But alot of people dont like the electronic log but I never had a problem with it. atleast you always knew you were legal. The account you are on now I never heard of that one. What is it?

bigpapa7272 11-10-2008 04:37 AM

so whats the verdict on werner right now im still deciding and have put werener back in the considering side of my approvals. One reason benefits after 30 days of employment. Anyone have any thoughts on orientation in allentown pa? input is appreciated

classicxl 11-10-2008 01:09 PM

I have been gone from big blue a couple of years but orientation use to be just taking your physical, sitting through a couple of days of training and learning how to use the qualcom. Oridinaryguy still works for them so i am sure he has more up to date info

Who do you work for now bigpapa7272

ordinaryguy 11-10-2008 03:08 PM

the Allentown terminal is a hole in the wall...orientation is the usual 3 days, paperwork, safety stuff...learning the electronic logs.....

NetOps are the people in the day cabs, i run from Indianapolis, IN to Mt Vernon, IL...home everyday off on the weekends...

bigpapa7272 11-10-2008 03:10 PM

do they road test you at orientation or after you get off the trainer truck?

also if you were looking at joining a company would it be worth it to go to werner and take the 50 a week pay cut and get eh benefits quicker or go with the other company who pays 375 a week and doesnt give benefits for 90 days

how are miles at werner right now?

BIG JEEP on 44's 11-10-2008 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpapa7272 (Post 422642)
do they road test you at orientation or after you get off the trainer truck?

also if you were looking at joining a company would it be worth it to go to werner and take the 50 a week pay cut and get eh benefits quicker or go with the other company who pays 375 a week and doesnt give benefits for 90 days

how are miles at werner right now?

Low...low...low...cpm at any years exp if not on good dedicated run ...
1800-2200 miles per week avg non dedicated solo miles...At .26 cpm 48/canada...15cpm dead head /21-26 cpm load average for most regional like 11western or south western ...

As for Allentown Pa term it is shy on trucks for issue and nice ones very rare ...good bet you'll end up traveling to another term for truck or recoverning ...

Now if you can get a good dedicated account I'd say good deal...however the base critera for good ded accounts is locatioon if you don't live in the right area you'll never be accepted unless you move .

However Werner is a good place to get your 1st year in they have well maintained trucks that range from newish-new there are some beaters in the batch due to driver error but overall very good trucks...they have a fair idle policy for the trucks that don't yet have apus ...They have a very well organized set up and have most of the driver ammenities you would want otr like 24/7 dispatch...numerous drop yards...many terminals ...

What's your list of companies look like ? ...If you live in PA within 200mi of hazelton that should put you in the running for the office-max account ,as they have a DC in Hazelton,PA .

bigpapa7272 11-10-2008 03:52 PM

my list of companies is

USA Truck
Werner
US Xpress
Swift

ive crossed tmc off my list as im not crazy about 2 week orientation

I applied at maverick but they said they wouldnt be able to take me til january or february.

Im in baltimore. Ive been hearing a lot fo good about usa as of late ive been talking to a few drivers almost daily who have been getting close to 3000 a week. Still considering werner because of benefits after 30 days. But i can start at a higher cpm at usa but the benefits arent as good and dental coverage and perscription card arent available til after a year

BIG JEEP on 44's 11-10-2008 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpapa7272 (Post 422653)
my list of companies is

USA Truck
Werner
US Xpress
Swift

ive crossed tmc off my list as im not crazy about 2 week orientation

I applied at maverick but they said they wouldnt be able to take me til january or february.

Im in baltimore. Ive been hearing a lot fo good about usa as of late ive been talking to a few drivers almost daily who have been getting close to 3000 a week. Still considering werner because of benefits after 30 days. But i can start at a higher cpm at usa but the benefits arent as good and dental coverage and perscription card arent available til after a year

Baltimore ,MD should put you hireable for the Sears dediated as there is a DC off of snowden river pkwy In columbia ...

bigpapa7272 11-10-2008 06:45 PM

well anymore thoughts based on the company list I posted

classicxl 11-10-2008 10:34 PM

Well Werner is a good starter company and if you need the benifits then they would be for you but if you can wait the 90 days. The money you are talking about is only pay while you are in training till you get your own truck.

bigpapa7272 11-10-2008 11:58 PM

im talking both cents per mile and training pay do werner reimburse for hazmat?
usa is 27 cents per mile after upgrade
werner is 26 cents per mile after upgrade
usa training is 375 a week
werner is 325

what kind of miles are werner drivers getting right now. I've been talking to usa drivers wwho are getting close to 3000 a week

if theres aa big difference in avg miles per week then its a no brainer

classicxl 11-11-2008 12:15 AM

when i was a company driver i ran all the miles i could get. It depends on how well you drive and what kind of relationship you have with your dispatcher. If you complain about running or not on time for delivery then probably bad miles. but if you are a runner and take every load you are sent without question then they give you what you can handle. i am sure others will disagree just what i saw. I hardly ever sat and was always loaded and rolling if i had hours to run.

We need to hear from a Werner driver currently out running 48 states to see what kind of miles they are driving. Anybody out there??

bigpapa7272 11-11-2008 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicxl (Post 422736)
We need to hear from a Werner driver currently out running 48 states to see what kind of miles they are driving. Anybody out there??

yeah i agree any werner drivers out there what are you running?/

repete 11-11-2008 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpapa7272 (Post 422733)
im talking both cents per mile and training pay do werner reimburse for hazmat?
usa is 27 cents per mile after upgrade
werner is 26 cents per mile after upgrade
usa training is 375 a week
werner is 325

what kind of miles are werner drivers getting right now. I've been talking to usa drivers wwho are getting close to 3000 a week

if theres aa big difference in avg miles per week then its a no brainer

Why are you limiting your search to this SHORT LOW PAY list?
Keep looking there are Co. out there that will pay $500 wk for training and at aprox. 10 cpm more thanWarner/USA
keep looking and good luck

bigpapa7272 11-11-2008 04:33 PM

who pays 500 a week training besides maverick?

I applied there and im on the waiting list. been on the wiating list for a while now.

please enlighten me.

classicxl 11-11-2008 05:46 PM

bigpapa7272 how long did maverick say you would be waiting? Give them a call make sure they know you are interested and ready to go might get you in the door faster

bigpapa7272 11-11-2008 06:12 PM

they know im still on the waiting list and last time i called they said they were cutting back on hiring students due to the number of students they were training and they told me i may not get in til january or february.

i just dont want to get in the pickle of having to take a refresher. the longer i sit and wait i feel isnt good for me

classicxl 11-11-2008 07:36 PM

you got to do what is right for you and if that is jump in with another company until they call then by all means get in there and atleast you are making money right now. You get some good training and werner does have a flatbed division because that is what maverick is if I am not mistaken

bigpapa7272 11-11-2008 07:40 PM

maverick told me maryland in the 11th state on the waiting list and they only invited 3 students to orientation last week. So it may be a while longer.

i just dont know if werner or usa would be better for me

classicxl 11-11-2008 07:45 PM

dont know much about USA trucks but werner gives you decent equipment and usually dont have to wait that long for a trainer. Either one you are making money and getting experience then decide which company you want to be with. If you start now with either company you will get alot of winter experience while you have a trainer there to give you some wisdom or help.

repete 11-12-2008 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpapa7272 (Post 422815)
who pays 500 a week training besides maverick?

I applied there and im on the waiting list. been on the wiating list for a while now.

please enlighten me.

Crete and Shaffer I don't know if they take trainees in the flatbed (hunt) there might be others out there but I don't know about them. Crete (CCC) has the trainer sit in the jump seat any time the trainee is driveing. check em out

BIG JEEP on 44's 11-12-2008 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repete (Post 422901)
Crete and Shaffer I don't know if they take trainees in the flatbed (hunt) there might be others out there but I don't know about them. Crete (CCC) has the trainer sit in the jump seat any time the trainee is driveing. check em out

Why have I seen drivers/trainers from every one of the carriers claimed to always have the trainer in jump seat while student is driving ...with student in drivers seat and trainer in sleeper...for example I recall crete driver/student telling tale of running 11000 mile wal-mart load overnight ,which is not legally possibe to do with trainer in jump seat for students driving time ...I'm not bashing you or Crete...but the reality is all big companies have nearly identical safety policy for training ,but there is how it's written and then how it's really done .

bigpapa7272 11-12-2008 06:13 PM

crete doesnt hire from ym school so i gotta get 6 months otr.

I talked with prime today. Their program sounds decent, maybe a little long but at least i would make decent money during training. and have a decent starting cpm of 34 when training is done. I would go as a company driver not a lease operator. I was told i would train in the reefer division, but could move over to the flatbed divison once i got some experience. At least they arent trying to get me to be a lease operator out of the gate. Training pay would start at 500 as a c seat and once i got to b seat it would go to 600. then i move to a company driver and make .30cpm for 20000 miles then once thats complete i would make .34 cpm

repete 11-12-2008 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's (Post 422918)
Why have I seen drivers/trainers from every one of the carriers claimed to always have the trainer in jump seat while student is driving ...with student in drivers seat and trainer in sleeper...for example I recall crete driver/student telling tale of running 11000 mile wal-mart load overnight ,which is not legally possibe to do with trainer in jump seat for students driving time ...I'm not bashing you or Crete...but the reality is all big companies have nearly identical safety policy for training ,but there is how it's written and then how it's really done .

The CCC policy is the trainer rides in the jump seat with the ONLY exception to that is when backing, CCC dispatches training trucks as a SOLO not as a team, if the trainer decided to run as a team it woulnd't be long before till he got cought. CCC checks logs very carefully and won't put up with any funny pages. As far as Wal-mart and a 1100 m, (11,000mi ?) I smell B/S
As far as all co training the same , not true. I've been with 4 different compenys and went with trainers with all of them.

First one was the worst, team driveing with no supervision and I had no real exp. driveing at that time. With the number of close calls I had it's a wonder that I didn't kill someone! After 3 weeks I parked at a T/S in E. St. Louis to take a shower and never went back!( I wonder how long trainer looked for me, or if he even did)

#2 After some time off the road I went with the big orange machine, they put me in there school as I had a cdl but hadn't driven for awhile, but even when with a trainer I rarely remember him being in the back while I was driving and even then only a few minites at a time. Left them after about 6 mo.

#3 Went with JB my training there consited of short hauls to a Wal mart and made it back to the yard evry day/night and stayed in a hotel did that for 5 days learned a lot there! stayed there about 6 mo too

#4 After a couple of years I wanted to drive again and went with Crete It was a different world from day one, I won't bore you with tales of how much I like it here but I will tell you what I don't like.

1 the pet policy, it dosn't effect me now, but when OTR it would have. (I believe they have changed it tho.)

#2 It wouldn't hurt to put a little more $$ into driver comfort at the terminals

#3 dispatch I hear drivers slamming them but I wouldn't want that job so I cut them alot of slack, they seemed to keep me moving pretty good so what else can I say there?

#4 breakdown, they do need to get MORE people there so they can process the wok faster, still when needed they do there job and get get you help when needed.

#5 I don't get paid for holidays, that may be the norm in trucking but it was a surprise to me. While on pay I'd love to make more then what I make, lots more! BUT I have to say I'M not going anywhere!!

So you can see from my short and humble experince that there is a huge difference in training, sorry to go on so long the rant is now over

classicxl 11-12-2008 09:55 PM

well bigpapa7272 you have alot of info to choose from. Hope you get a company you will enjoy

BIG JEEP on 44's 11-13-2008 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repete (Post 422945)
The CCC policy is the trainer rides in the jump seat with the ONLY exception to that is when backing, CCC dispatches training trucks as a SOLO not as a team, if the trainer decided to run as a team it woulnd't be long before till he got cought. CCC checks logs very carefully and won't put up with any funny pages. As far as Wal-mart and a 1100 m, (11,000mi ?) I smell B/S
As far as all co training the same , not true. I've been with 4 different compenys and went with trainers with all of them.

First one was the worst, team driveing with no supervision and I had no real exp. driveing at that time. With the number of close calls I had it's a wonder that I didn't kill someone! After 3 weeks I parked at a T/S in E. St. Louis to take a shower and never went back!( I wonder how long trainer looked for me, or if he even did)

#2 After some time off the road I went with the big orange machine, they put me in there school as I had a cdl but hadn't driven for awhile, but even when with a trainer I rarely remember him being in the back while I was driving and even then only a few minites at a time. Left them after about 6 mo.

#3 Went with JB my training there consited of short hauls to a Wal mart and made it back to the yard evry day/night and stayed in a hotel did that for 5 days learned a lot there! stayed there about 6 mo too

#4 After a couple of years I wanted to drive again and went with Crete It was a different world from day one, I won't bore you with tales of how much I like it here but I will tell you what I don't like.

1 the pet policy, it dosn't effect me now, but when OTR it would have. (I believe they have changed it tho.)

#2 It wouldn't hurt to put a little more $$ into driver comfort at the terminals

#3 dispatch I hear drivers slamming them but I wouldn't want that job so I cut them alot of slack, they seemed to keep me moving pretty good so what else can I say there?

#4 breakdown, they do need to get MORE people there so they can process the wok faster, still when needed they do there job and get get you help when needed.

#5 I don't get paid for holidays, that may be the norm in trucking but it was a surprise to me. While on pay I'd love to make more then what I make, lots more! BUT I have to say I'M not going anywhere!!

So you can see from my short and humble experince that there is a huge difference in training, sorry to go on so long the rant is now over

Welp repete those crete drivers I spoke with picked up in Irvine ,CA at Maruchan noodle at the same time I did and were at the North Platte Nebraska Wal-mart DC before me ...and I ran about 800 miles then took a 2hr nap and finished run...yes I ran illegal but my logs looked legal the entire time ...I knew they were Driver/student b/c I spoke to them at shipper.

classicxl 11-13-2008 08:13 PM

so are there no other werner drivers on CAD

bigpapa7272 11-14-2008 06:49 PM

well i guess they are all on the road making money :)

I have noticed on a lot of boards that posting has slowed down i guess that means people are making money

Jackrabbit379 11-14-2008 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpapa7272 (Post 423330)
I have noticed on a lot of boards that posting has slowed down i guess that means people are making money

It's the economy. Folks are cutting back. Ya know, things like, less moderators, stuff like that.
:p

classicxl 11-14-2008 07:22 PM

yea alot of the people who use to post seem to be gone these days