Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   What company will hire me? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/35960-what-company-will-hire-me.html)

all18wheels 10-29-2008 02:55 AM

you didnt really want to drive a truck anyway. did ya?

mccfry 11-11-2008 01:33 AM

You have alot of points on your record right now wait till those speeding tickets fall off and see what happens, I have a dui that is ten years old this month and the companies I spoke with could care less.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bassdaddy22 (Post 419715)
I've been calling trucking companies left and right and its my background and MVR thats stopping me. I dont think its that bad considering the people that companies hire.

3 year MVR - 2 speeding tickets - 14 and 20 over
Background - 2 misdemeanors - DUI - older than 5 yrs
Poss. of Marijuana less than 1 oz - almost 8 yrs old

Does anyone know a company that would hire me? I called the DMV and I am qualified to obtain my CDL. I've applied at about 30 different companies. I gave up because I shouldn't have to go though that many people. Any help is appreciated.

GMAN 11-16-2008 03:58 PM

Most infractions will not affect your job prospects after a few years. Unless it is something related to drugs it should not dramatically affect you after it comes off of your MVR. A DUI will affect you for at least 5 years.

Windwalker 11-16-2008 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 423669)
Most infractions will not affect your job prospects after a few years. Unless it is something related to drugs it should not dramatically affect you after it comes off of your MVR. A DUI will affect you for at least 5 years.

Do a check on the company requirements for hiring. The vast majority of companies require a DUI to be at least 7 years old, if they will hire you at all. Quite a number of companies will not hire you at all if you've ever had a DUI.

And, as far as the speeding tickets go... Many companies will not hire a seasoned driver with two speeding tickets over 10 mph in the last three years. You don't expect them to hire a new driver, do you?

turnleft 11-17-2008 10:15 PM

How about Con-way?

GMAN 11-18-2008 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeeTURBO (Post 423768)
Do a check on the company requirements for hiring. The vast majority of companies require a DUI to be at least 7 years old, if they will hire you at all. Quite a number of companies will not hire you at all if you've ever had a DUI.

And, as far as the speeding tickets go... Many companies will not hire a seasoned driver with two speeding tickets over 10 mph in the last three years. You don't expect them to hire a new driver, do you?

I checked 14 carriers under the company listings.1 was none ever, 1 was 10 years or more, 4 were 3 or more years and the rest were 5 years or more. The lower the speeding infration the more likely a carrier will give them the benefit of a doubt.

cybergod 09-11-2009 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headborg (Post 420057)
-- seems there's at least two dozen companies who would love to get a hold of a ( pot head ( 8 year old Felony Conviction)+ DUI drunk driver

Not to nitpick here, but -- Pot Possession is a misdemeanor, not a felony. But the two DUI's
will definitely be a problem, I'm told....:eek2:

Jumbo 09-11-2009 01:36 AM

And this thread is almost 10 months old.

Useless 09-11-2009 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bassdaddy22 (Post 419715)
I've been calling trucking companies left and right and its my background and MVR thats stopping me. I dont think its that bad considering the people that companies hire.

3 year MVR - 2 speeding tickets - 14 and 20 over
Background - 2 misdemeanors - DUI - older than 5 yrs
Poss. of Marijuana less than 1 oz - almost 8 yrs old

Does anyone know a company that would hire me? I called the DMV and I am qualified to obtain my CDL. I've applied at about 30 different companies. I gave up because I shouldn't have to go though that many people. Any help is appreciated.

:hellno: :hellno:

With a past like that, and the time frames, you have demonstrated your inability and / or unwillingness to learn from your mistakes. Seriously, your record would have been problematic back when some companies would hire anyone with a pulse and an IQ over 50. In today's market?? Perhaps if you move to Mexico, you might get on driving a truck for 13 cents a mile!!

While driving may not be in your future, with your record does indicate that you may have a promising career as a dispatcher.

:smokin:

Streak 06-19-2012 05:42 PM

PTL requires no DUI's in the past 5 years