Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Smart Drive?? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/35559-smart-drive.html)

belpre122 09-16-2008 10:14 PM

At the risk of side tracking the thread, let's just lay the alcohol to rest.

Alcohol in a CMV is illegal. Just because the CMV is not moving, does not change or alter this. Whatever is not covered by the FMCSA is usually a part of most companies rules and regulations concerning alcohol.

I'm sure that there are many who do not like this. They should not be in trucking in my opinion. The use of alcohol, and CMV operation/responsibility are simply not compatible. If you are laid over, you still are responsible for that CMV. My 4 years of observation regarding this subject on CAD leads me to hold to one non-negotiable thought about the whole situation:

If alcohol plays such a significant role in your life, such that you must have it to relax, have fun, kill time etc. You are in the wrong industry. Sure, I have my beer drinking moments, but only at home, only occasionally on my 2-3 days off. I would never, ever consider bringing alcohol in to a CMV under any circumstances. Yes! We both know that it goes on. With cameras? Maybe not.

As ct77 remarked to the effect that you could be caught talking on the phone, reading, eating etc. Exactly! We are not supposed to be doing these things while driving.

belpre122 09-16-2008 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RR9501
Odd reason i feel the only time alcohol consumption should be ok is if he's sitting a pilot doing jack $hit, bored out of his mind on a 34hr restart, and in the sleeper with the keys out of the ignition of course....haahaa
he's not going anywhere anyway, so why cant he chill out with a cold one...and if he's in the sleeper he's not hurting no one cause he has plenty of time to get it out of his system b4 he hits the road again.

But how does he know that the company might not have a hot load that HAS TO GO right after he finished that 12 pack. Dispatcher says, "forget the 34 hour reset, you still have X hours to run this load. We'll reset you after you run this load NOW.

????????????????

RR9501 09-16-2008 10:33 PM

ok in part yes i do agree with you, and i will admit that i have Never done this....

RR9501 09-16-2008 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belpre122
Quote:

Odd reason i feel the only time alcohol consumption should be ok is if he's sitting a pilot doing jack $hit, bored out of his mind on a 34hr restart, and in the sleeper with the keys out of the ignition of course....haahaa
he's not going anywhere anyway, so why cant he chill out with a cold one...and if he's in the sleeper he's not hurting no one cause he has plenty of time to get it out of his system b4 he hits the road again.

But how does he know that the company might not have a hot load that HAS TO GO right after he finished that 12 pack. Dispatcher says, "forget the 34 hour reset, you still have X hours to run this load. We'll reset you after you run this load NOW.

????????????????

a 34 hr restart is done for a reason, personaly if it were me, my first response to my dispatcher would be that im on a restart and have already logged it in my log book, i'm stuck here till the end of my restart...sorry i can not move. i'm out of hrs, you'll have to find another driver willing to take that load.......any rebuttles?..lol

belpre122 09-16-2008 10:53 PM

Quote:

. i'm out of hrs, you'll have to find another driver willing to take that load.......any rebuttles?..lol

Many restarts are not done because a driver is out of hours. Slow freight may put one in a advantageous position to reset his hours. If the company calls up and has a load that you CAN legally complete on the hours that you do have remaining, you would be obligated to complete that run. Unless, of course, you had been drinking................

Quote:

a 34 hr restart is done for a reason, personaly if it were me, my first response to my dispatcher would be that im on a restart and have already logged it in my log book, i'm stuck here till the end of my restart...sorry i can not move

Restarts are done for many reasons. If I understand the regulations, when you begin a 34 hour restart, you should be logged on to line 1 or 2 at the start of the reset as this would be your last change of duty status. Unless you are out of hours, why does this automatically indicate that you are on a 34 hour reset? That's because it doesn't RR. Think about it. I'm trying to help you here.

In other words, your logging in to the future. You can't do that RR.

Double L 09-16-2008 10:56 PM

Hey Gar, can I call Gar? :lol: Anyway Gar say for example the driver is on home time and logged it as off duty two days off would that count as a 34 hour restart?

belpre122 09-16-2008 11:08 PM

Yes it would Larry, as long as these "2" days that you speak of equal out to 34 continuous hours off duty.

Now! Out with your hidden agenda! :lol:

Double L 09-16-2008 11:10 PM

Quote:

Yes it would Larry, as long as these "2" days that you speak of equal out to 34 continuous hours off duty.

Now! Out with your hidden agenda! :lol:

What hidden agenda? :? I don't have one and check your pm's by the way.

belpre122 09-16-2008 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double L

Didn't mean anything untowards Larry. I just thought maybe you were building up to something. :wink:

Will do on PMs.

RR9501 09-16-2008 11:15 PM

im rather confused, if your talking about restarts, why would u be logging line 3 or 4, a restart is considered line 1....i can also count on 1hand how many times i've had to do a restart just because of slow freight....but as i said, once i stop for a restart i usally log it shortly after.

Double L 09-16-2008 11:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double L

Didn't mean anything untowards Larry. I just thought maybe you were building up to something. :wink:

Will do on PMs.

If you call trying to get a job working on trucks and yanking tanks a hidden agenda then sure. :P

Windwalker 09-16-2008 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mem38109
Got more info on the cameras. They say it only records when you jerk the wheel real hard or you brake real hard. My whole thing is what are the microphones for. I dont mind if they want to watch me drive thats boring but the microphone kills it for me. There is no reason why a microphone should be in the truck.

Don't you folks have any IMAGINATION?????
You got any shaving cream????
Rig up a DOOR-BELL BUZZER right next to the mic. Something that you can plug into the cig lighter socket to turn it on, and take it out when you get into the yard. You might try soldering a straightened out paper clip to one of the coil terminals... In the Navy, that made a quick "WHITE NOISE GENERATOR" that killed all other things a mic would pick up.

belpre122 09-16-2008 11:20 PM

Quote:

im rather confused, if your talking about restarts, why would u be logging line 3 or 4, a restart is considered line 1....i can also count on 1hand how many times i've had to do a restart just because of slow freight....but as i said, once i stop for a restart i usally log it shortly after.

Let me clarify first, I edited my post as I had stated lines 3 and 4 and edited the post to lines 1 and 2. My bad, just wanted to make sure that everyone knows that it wasn't you RR.

Maybe that is the case for you, the only occasional 34 restarts because of slow freight. All it takes it ONE TIME though my friend. ONE TIME when you are faced with the decision of what to do. Tell dispatch I am indeed intoxicated and can not operate their CMV that I have been drinking in to begin with. Or:

What happens so many times; Do it and take the chance.

See what I mean RR?

RR9501 09-16-2008 11:29 PM

Maybe that is the case for you, the only occasional 34 restarts because of slow freight. All it takes it ONE TIME though my friend. ONE TIME when you are faced with the decision of what to do. Tell dispatch I am indeed intoxicated and can not operate their CMV that I have been drinking in to begin with. Or:

What happens so many times; Do it and take the chance.

See what I mean RR?[/quote]
dude, i never said anything about telling dispatch that i was drinking and cannot accept the load....i'm out of hrs, i have plenty of other excuses that i can use as well....im not stupid enuff to jeopardize my job by informing dispatch with that info....but i'm also not a drinker either so None of this even effects me...how about we find something else to talk about...lol...

belpre122 09-16-2008 11:40 PM

Quote:

dude, i never said anything about telling dispatch that i was drinking and cannot accept the load....i'm out of hrs, i have plenty of other excuses that i can use as well....im not stupid enuff to jeopardize my job by informing dispatch with that info....but i'm also not a drinker either so None of this even effects me...how about we find something else to talk about...lol...

And RR, remember I have said all along not to take this personal. We are just debating important issues, nothing personal or insinuated back and forth at all. Just a matter of getting it all out there. See what I mean?

I absolutely agree RR. I suggested we get out of it, yet persisted in bringing it up. Complete stain on me.

Back to the audio.video monitoring capabilities in cab?

RR9501 09-17-2008 12:11 AM

lol...yea i see what you mean....ok agreed,....no i know u werent sending anything personal...and im sorry for the way i took it...i guess we all just have our own opinions about various aspects of the industry, which is fine, we're each entitled to our own opinions....and i just talked to my friend who also agrees the cab-cam is an inuvasion of privacy...and yes i see your point that it is the companys truck too...but we still have to fight because if we let them get away with this, they'll find something else to tag us with....next we'll have to ask permission to stop and pee or something.....lol

Useless 09-17-2008 06:28 PM

Where the legal issues involving this type of monitoring are concerned, as I've stated previously, those are issues to be addressed by competent lawyers.

As far is the intrusiveness is concerned, it disturbs me to a certain degree, but I also see some potential benefits.

This form of verification could serve to exhonorate drivers wrongly accused of driving offenses, or those involved in wrecks, accidents, or other problematic situations.

It could also help prevent and/or identify cased of "Rookie Abuse" by incompetent or abusive trainers.

RR9501 09-17-2008 09:13 PM

the black box serves the same purpose...

Mem38109 09-17-2008 11:52 PM

I didn't think the thread would go where it has. Well here is an update they are only putting the cameras in the SE Fleet as a "test". Now they say only the truck can activate the camera with me pushing the panic button, jerking the wheel, or braking to hard. Now there is a light on the device and I can tell when its recording and I do have a lens cover for the inside of the truck ie. they can only see the road not me. Bottom line I dont like it but, Marten is a damn good company and I hate to give it up.

Malaki86 09-17-2008 11:58 PM

Ya know, the more I thought about this, I wouldn't mind a bit if my company put a loop recording device in my truck. They could mount it somewhere in the sleeper where it'd capture both me and the road in front of me. They can embed the trucks speed, whether my lights are on or not, turn signal, etc. Then, in the event of an accident, there would be proof whether the accident was my fault or not.

Of course, it'd have to be tied in to the truck so that it'd only record while the truck is in motion, which would be easy to do - monitor the parking brake. If the brake is released, record a 30 minute endless loop.

Besides, who wants to see some nasty ass trucker walking around inside his cab. They're not going to be beaming a live web-cam all over the world for everyone to see - the bandwidth would be outragous. It'd be a hard drive or other memory storage which they could pull out and physically plug into a corporate system to pull the video.

RR9501 09-18-2008 02:53 AM

istill dont like the feeling of being watched, but if it were only triggered by a panc button, hard wheel jerk or standing on the brake....tehn yea i guess i could live with it...

Jumbo 09-19-2008 02:38 AM

I hope they aren't taping all the time. I sleep naked. Nobody wants to watch the replay of that.

RR9501 09-19-2008 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jumbo
I hope they aren't taping all the time. I sleep naked. Nobody wants to watch the replay of that.

thanks, none of us needed mental images...lol

zipy46 09-21-2008 11:40 PM

Actually some kind of recorder might be ok....I been slammed into twice

by drivers backing next to me while i was asleep...

The camera might catch that sudden shock as

i fly out of my bunk from the impact !!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

RR9501 09-21-2008 11:44 PM

ahh, that sucks...so heres my question, why do companys put small non-reportable incedences and stuff like other drivers backing into us on our DAC...its not our fault, they r Unpreventable, by me anyway...so why should stuff thats not our faults go on our record??

BIG JEEP on 44's 09-21-2008 11:50 PM

Quote:

ahh, that sucks...so heres my question, why do companys put small non-reportable incedences and stuff like other drivers backing into us on our DAC...its not our fault, they r Unpreventable, by me anyway...so why should stuff thats not our faults go on our record??

At Werner the only thing they report to USIS is prevetable at fault ...However a company like GTS or Super service is probably different since they have questionable ethics.

zipy46 09-21-2008 11:53 PM

Quote:

I been wondering that for years...maybe someone here can fill us in

RR9501 09-21-2008 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
Quote:

At Werner the only thing they report to USIS is prevetable at fault ...However a company like GTS or Super service is probably different since they have questionable ethics.

well thanks for filling us in on that...that sucks since i was with super service..., though i thought all companies reported everything, which i believe is wrong, if its not your fault, and there was no police report or nothing reported to DOT, why let blacklist the driver for it and make him look bad...?....hmmm

BIG JEEP on 44's 09-22-2008 12:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
Quote:

well thanks for filling us in on that...that sucks since i was with super service..., though i thought all companies reported everything, which i believe is wrong, if its not your fault, and there was no police report or nothing reported to DOT, why let blacklist the driver for it and make him look bad...?....hmmm

I got an incident on record 5/06 at Werner that i need to addres shortly...in may 2006 Customer claimed their jersey wall was tipped over after being ran over by my truck their only reason for linking me to this was a driver said a werner truck come through earlier ,and "may have" hit it ...no physical evidence supported my tractor hitting a 3.5ft tall 6,000 lb hunk of concrete...however it's on my dac as backing/preventabe...so since it never happened I'd like it off my file. :wink:

in dec 2006 I touched the tail of a low boy with my bumper while backing...no damages ,but the other driver an O/O wanted $100 to let it go...I reported it ,because if i paid him and he claimed H/R i'd have trouble explaining it to safety...

However on 8/29/2008 I smacked a fender/headlight on a parked 379 at a pilot...this was my 2nd icident in 3 years ...the cuase I was in a rush and blind sided a tight spot...well that rush cost me 2hrs.

So my dac rightfully has 2 blems on it ,but not 3...OH well I got a clean MVR..

RR9501 09-22-2008 12:48 AM

well honestly i would have reported that one one too, weather there's damage to either vehicle or not...if ya "pay him off" he still has the right to report u for a "hit and run"...that wouldnt look to good

BIG JEEP on 44's 09-22-2008 01:05 AM

Quote:

well honestly i would have reported that one one too, weather there's damage to either vehicle or not...if ya "pay him off" he still has the right to report u for a "hit and run"...that wouldnt look to good

Nope ,and if he was honest he wouldn't be hustling $100 from a driver fr no reason ,so despite me not wanting i called the po-lice .

zipy46 09-23-2008 01:39 AM

Im working on picking the safest places to park...

Like a top ten list :

1) Always try to park with at least one side against a curb or wall

2)When parking on a down ramp park so far forward there is no possibility someone can get in front of you and wack your ride
trying to squeeze in.

3)Try to park where the other guy must steer out and away from you
as opposed to turning out and cutting his trailer across your nose
ripping off your fenders or bumpers.

4)If possible take on of those strange dirt roads you often see while traveling out west....no other trucks are likely to venture out that far
to park.

5)If possible back into an alley....your rig should be safe between buildings or skyscrapers

....ok...thats my first 5....the rest will come as i envision them 8)

Its all about protecting yourself in the world of trucking....no one gonna look out for me except me