Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   After almost 2 years of driving I finally seen triples (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/35373-after-almost-2-years-driving-i-finally-seen-triples.html)

ohiomohawk 09-05-2008 10:41 AM

After almost 2 years of driving I finally seen triples

I-75 in Ohio is my stomping ground, I drive 400 miles a day on I-75 :D The other day as I passed over I-80, I-90 (Ohio turnpike) I looked down and seen triples on the turnpike headed East!!

Believe it or not I never seen triples before!! I have been on the Ohio Turnpike only once before.

You know I always have some question to ask :P

Why are triples only allowed on turnpikes??

belpre122 09-05-2008 11:05 AM

Hey Mohawk! I've been up all night and you'll have to excuse me. When I first saw the title of the thread, I thought that it read "After almost 2 years of driving I finally seen nipples."

I was ready to congratulate you, and ask if I could come over to the Buckeye for a ride-along next week to try and help up your success rate. :lol:

coastie 09-05-2008 11:18 AM

Just seen triples, have you seen 2 53' doubles?

Drew10 09-05-2008 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coastie

Correct me if Im wrong....but I dont think 53' doubles is what you saw. I thought the max length for them was 48', "turnpike doubles". You see those on the New York thruway alot.

Not sure why triples are restricted to turnpikes...except maybe because they cannot be "broken down" on conventional interstates.
Turnpikes have the breakdown lots at the exits.

ohiomohawk 09-05-2008 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belpre122
Hey Mohawk! I've been up all night and you'll have to excuse me. When I first saw the title of the thread, I thought that it read "After almost 2 years of driving I finally seen nipples."

I was ready to congratulate you, and ask if I could come over to the Buckeye for a ride-along next week to try and help up your success rate. :lol:

LOL.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will be on the lookout for nipples also, seen some but more will never hurt :twisted:

Rev.Vassago 09-05-2008 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew10
Quote:

Correct me if Im wrong....but I dont think 53' doubles is what you saw. I thought the max length for them was 48', "turnpike doubles". You see those on the New York thruway alot.

I believe Michigan doubles are 53', aren't they? I know they have a helluva lot of axles underneath them.

I remember back about 10 years ago or so, JB Hunt was using 58' trailers in Illinois that were designed to be put on rail cars. I think they were testing a new regulation or something, because I saw them for a few months, then they were gone.

Drew10 09-05-2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

I believe Michigan doubles are 53', aren't they? I know they have a helluva lot of axles underneath them.

I remember back about 10 years ago or so, JB Hunt was using 58' trailers in Illinois that were designed to be put on rail cars. I think they were testing a new regulation or something, because I saw them for a few months, then they were gone.
Not sure about Michigan....They "march to a different drummer" up there. Maybe Roadhog can help with that. I doubt they are 53', though.
And....yeah...they sure do have alot of axles...like Big Caterpillars (no pun intended) going down the highway

Not sure about JB using 58'. I know we have some 57', but they are restricted to a few states out west.

Bumper 09-05-2008 02:23 PM

Hey Belpre, I didnt know you were an old Signal Corps guy... I may have to raise my opinon of you now....being a really old Signal Corps guy myself... :lol:

coastie 09-05-2008 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew10
Quote:

Not sure why triples are restricted to turnpikes...except maybe because they cannot be "broken down" on conventional interstates.
Turnpikes have the breakdown lots at the exits.

Yes it was 2 53 foot trailers up on the NY Turnpike. They were 2 WalMart trailers

Roadhog 09-05-2008 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago

I don't know for sure. We do have a lot of heavy haulers here, with steel rigs running Ontario, Quebec, through Michigan.
Some logging trucks might be 53'. Most B-Trains are 48' 11 axle about 160,000+.
Most of the time I'm hauling a 42' covered wagon. I've never paid much attention to the B-Trains here. You got me curious now. :P