Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   How long have you driven on no sleep? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/34926-how-long-have-you-driven-no-sleep.html)

ericmrtt 08-07-2008 10:37 PM

How long have you driven on no sleep?

Can't fall asleep. Been up since 4am. Leaving for Atlanta for Pittsburg at midnight. Plan to take one of those little energy shot things that you can buy at the gas station. Wil I make it?

TK THE TRUCKER 08-07-2008 11:07 PM

Re: How long have you driven on no sleep?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericmrtt
Can't fall asleep. Been up since 4am. Leaving for Atlanta for Pittsburg at midnight. Plan to take one of those little energy shot things that you can buy at the gas station.

That's sounds like a solid plan.
Quote:

Wil I make it?
The question is not will you make it but how many people will you take out trying. Must have a fast truck to do a 700 mile trip through the mountains in one shot. If it were me I'd be sitting there until I got some good rest.

Malaki86 08-07-2008 11:46 PM

I had a NOS drink this morning (16oz can). OMG - talk about something that gives you the freaking jitters. I couldn't sit still in the truck. Did it wake me up? Well, there's no damn way you're gonna sleep while shaking the way I was.

I just finished a 700 mile run (actually, 699 miles) from Holladay, TN to Reedsville, WV to Keyser, WV. The last 60 miles was, well, hmmm, how do ya say this... It'll be on tomorrow's log. :wink: And, before ya all start ripping my head off and using it as a soccer ball: I had to be at my pickup at 7am. I wasn't about to make the drive between Reedsville and Keyser (through Oakland and Luke, MD) at 5am in the dark and fog.

HWD 08-07-2008 11:55 PM

I hope you are kidding; whether you're serious or kidding that's pretty stupid. How about you don't end up like this guy:

http://www.truckingaccidentattorneyb...prison_fo.html

Or any of the others who have fallen asleep and killed people.

You "buzz" will wear off and you will crash - literally and figuratively.

Starting a drive like that after being up for 20 hours is stupid.

str.whl.hldr 08-08-2008 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericmrtt
Can't fall asleep. Been up since 4am. Leaving for Atlanta for Pittsburg at midnight. Plan to take one of those little energy shot things that you can buy at the gas station. Wil I make it?

It depends, whats the mileage differential pay to run fatigued, in the middle of the night, through mountains and running really tight?

Why would you try? Even if you were payed more it completely violates the purpose for the HOS law. It might not break the "letter of the law" but, damn man, just shut it down. Get on a regular sleep schedule and run smarter not harder.

This is why I do not like running nights.

Double R 08-08-2008 12:40 AM

Quote:

Atlanta for Pittsburg
Excuse me but it is spelled PITTSBURGH, WITH AN "H"!

Mackman 08-08-2008 12:45 AM

I plowed snow one time in a tri/axle dump truck for 34hrs

HWD 08-08-2008 01:32 AM

Actually, I would be willing to wager the OP is a troll from some misguided anti-trucking group, who has come on here trying to get a rise out of the members of this board.

The poor grammar is probably intentional; after all, truckers are illiterate slobs who run illegally, right? :roll:

With that, I guess this thread has gotten more attention than it deserves.

sam1971 08-08-2008 01:39 AM

longest straight-thru drive i ever made- i started in Bend, OR. driving a p/u truck to Tucson, AZ. i dropped my travel trailer there, set it up then left for Burley ID, where i picked up a Pete loaded with drilling equipment. the Pete was frozen in place, so i had to chip away the ice from the tires, and immediately head back to Tucson, where i then slept for 20 hours.
SAM

Jumbo 08-08-2008 01:42 AM

43 Days. I am ready for a nap.