Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Cheapest insurance for new owner operator ? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/34755-cheapest-insurance-new-owner-operator.html)

charged 07-26-2008 08:22 PM

Cheapest insurance for new owner operator ?

The only company that I have found that will insure me is Progressive for $700/mo. That is one million liability and $100000 cargo. Five hundred mile radius and no steel coils.My driving record is clean I just don't have any experience.

Are there any other companies out there that I should check out?

GMAN 07-26-2008 11:37 PM

Progressive is about the only game in town when it comes to insuring those with no experience. Most require at least a couple of years behind the wheel before they will talk to you. There have been several on this board who have gotten their authority without first getting some experience. I believe all of them wound up starting with Progressive. As an alternative, you may be able to join your state trucking association and get insurance. I don't remember whether they require a minimum amount of time in business before they will allow you to join. They do offer insurance, but state membership usually runs about $400/year. A bit pricey for someone starting out. You may also check with OOIDA, but I believe they also require at least 2 years experience. They may be able to direct you to another insurance company who will take you on. Good luck.

BigDiesel 07-26-2008 11:50 PM

Re: Cheapest insurance for new owner operator ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by charged
.My driving record is clean I just don't have any experience.

Sigh....... another I have no experience but I am going to be a O/O post. :lol:

chubyboy 07-26-2008 11:59 PM

u know, some like to gamble and learn the hard way, others like to gamble and they get lucky and make it...that is all we shall say on that subject for anyone whom wishes to get way the hell OT

Scottt 07-27-2008 07:26 AM

Re: Cheapest insurance for new owner operator ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel
Quote:

Originally Posted by charged
.My driving record is clean I just don't have any experience.

Sigh....... another I have no experience but I am going to be a O/O post. :lol:

With my no experience my first 3 weeks as a O/O were better than expected. My 3 week average after fuel and insurance was $2500. The downside was my first 3 weeks I had $5,000 in repairs.

I mafe the last 2 rounds to California with no added expense. Truck is averaging 6.6mpg.

charged 07-27-2008 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chubyboy
u know, some like to gamble and learn the hard way, others like to gamble and they get lucky and make it...that is all we shall say on that subject for anyone whom wishes to get way the hell OT

Some like to work for a big company like Swift and make $.26 per mile and be home every weekend. :roll:

charged 07-27-2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN
Progressive is about the only game in town when it comes to insuring those with no experience. Most require at least a couple of years behind the wheel before they will talk to you. There have been several on this board who have gotten their authority without first getting some experience. I believe all of them wound up starting with Progressive. As an alternative, you may be able to join your state trucking association and get insurance. I don't remember whether they require a minimum amount of time in business before they will allow you to join. They do offer insurance, but state membership usually runs about $400/year. A bit pricey for someone starting out. You may also check with OOIDA, but I believe they also require at least 2 years experience. They may be able to direct you to another insurance company who will take you on. Good luck.

Thnaks for the info. I'll check into that.

GMAN 07-27-2008 01:28 PM

There really isn't any such thing as "cheap" truck insurance, even for those of us who have been at this for some time.

Sealord 07-27-2008 08:38 PM

O/O Insurance

You might pose your insurance question on the O/O Forum. BOL

charged 07-27-2008 10:22 PM

Re: O/O Insurance

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sealord
You might pose your insurance question on the O/O Forum. BOL

I wasn't sure which section to ask the question it pertains to both new truckers and O/O's. I know it is against the rules of most forums to ask one question multiple times in different sections. I got banned in about 5 posts on another trucking forum last week and don't want to repeat that.

charged 07-27-2008 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN
There really isn't any such thing as "cheap" truck insurance, even for those of us who have been at this for some time.

Actually, I should have named the topic, "What insurance company is the best choice for a newbie trucker." I would imagine a company that would insure a newbie for coils and for longer distances than 500 it would be worth a couple hundred extra, if I could get jobs that would cover the increase.

GMAN 07-27-2008 10:46 PM

Without experience you are likely to have restrictions on what you can haul and where you go. Most insurance companies seem to check how long you have had your CDL not where you have worked. I have had my insurance company ask me where my drivers have worked, but don't think they have checked. I believe that you can haul a certain percentage of loads outside of your radius with Progressive. However, they will want you to stay within your mileage restriction for most loads. Even within a 500 miles radius there are good opportunities.

Scottt 07-28-2008 12:43 PM

When I was thinking about getting my own authority I checked on insurance.

I could get insurance with no mile limits through Northland for about $900 a month. I called the other day and now with 6 months experience driving the rate dropped to $825.

charged 07-28-2008 02:42 PM

I called a few agents northland had listed they all said the same thing. No one insures new drivers you have to get two years experience with an over the road company before they will insure.

I guess that is why so many local companies want two years verifiable driving experience before they hire.

charged 07-28-2008 08:45 PM

I called another 10-15 places this afternoon and none insure new drivers. I called OOIDA and they don't either.
I guess he is stuck with a 500 mile radius for a couple of years.

GMAN 07-28-2008 11:05 PM

Depending on where you live, having a 500 mile limitation may not be so bad.

charged 07-29-2008 12:39 AM

It could be worse. At least it keeps him out of Florida and Texas for the most part. :)

Scottt 07-29-2008 03:46 PM

Try calling these people

http://www.cb-sisco.com/trucking/

charged 07-29-2008 06:47 PM

They are a broker for many companies and the agent I spoke with said progressive is the only co that they represent which covers new drivers.

Scottt 07-29-2008 07:16 PM

Try this one

http://www.truckers-insurance.com/[i...Doug[/img]

charged 07-30-2008 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottt
Try this one

[url]http://www.truckers-insurance.com/[url]

Talk to Doug

I spoke with Patricia, she said under two years no.

I'm giving up looking. :lol: Everyone I have have spoke with has said no to under two years experience. I suppose that is the reason most companies want 2 years experience before they'll hire a driver.

Scottt 07-30-2008 03:05 PM

Did you go to a CDL school??

A friend of mine bought a truck and trailer while we were still in school and he had no problem getting insurance with no mile restrictions from the last place I gave you.

I drove with him for 3 months and they had no problem adding me to his insurance with no experience. He paid around $900 a month.

After 3 months I bought my own truck and got insurance from Northland through the first place I posted.

Call back and ask for Doug.

charged 07-30-2008 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottt
Did you go to a CDL school??

A friend of mine bought a truck and trailer while we were still in school and he had no problem getting insurance with no mile restrictions from the last place I gave you.

I drove with him for 3 months and they had no problem adding me to his insurance with no experience. He paid around $900 a month.

After 3 months I bought my own truck and got insurance from Northland through the first place I posted.

Call back and ask for Doug.

I didn't go to a school. I got the manual and took all the tests the next day and passed. Got my hazmat done. Then waited about a year and a half until my dad got his truck and went down and took the test which I passed on my first try. I was able to practice backing a few times at a local truck yard where I work. I'll tell you a spread axle is a lot harder to back than a pup or 53' van. Plus, the longwheel base makes it harder I had only backed with city tractors before.

My father did go to a school, but not sure if they were accredited with anyone. It only lasted a couple of weeks and only taught him how to pass the DMV test.

I tried Doug, but he is out of the office until August 12. I'll try him when he gets back.

Triplet Dad 12-12-2017 08:41 PM

Owner Operator No Experience Insurance

I know this post is really old, but maybe someone has new information about insurance. I am getting ready to go to CDL school and would like to start a business right away. Can I get insurance right out of school that is affordable (under $1200 month)? I am 50 with spotless driving record and no criminal record.

repete 12-13-2017 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triplet Dad (Post 540715)
I know this post is really old, but maybe someone has new information about insurance. I am getting ready to go to CDL school and would like to start a business right away. Can I get insurance right out of school that is affordable (under $1200 month)? I am 50 with spotless driving record and no criminal record.

Learn what to and not to do on someone else's dime, in other words get your CDL thru a school and then work for one of the larger training companies for a year or so then think of buying a truck! There is so much wrong with your plan, here's a few examples.

1st, CDL school only teaches you enough to get your CDL that's it no more!
2nd Chances are you will never even back into a parking spot or bump a dock in school, do you really think you could successfully back into a tight spot between to other trucks with "hoods"?
3rd. do have any idea of DOT and FMCSA regs?
4th trip planning, ever plan a trip with 2 or three stops and be on time for each? On time means ON TIME!
5 another trip planning issue, are planning on using a GPS? If so that's fine BUT still you need to know how to read a map, if not be prepared to buy a bridge!
6 have you ever driven thru Chicago during rush hour? Try it with a 53' trailer and absolutely NO experience and no one to help offer encouragement.
7. Any idea how fuel cards showers, cash advances while on the road work?

I haven't even touched on how to find loads, when and how to get paid, breakdowns and preventive maintance. If you've never driven a truck let alone run a truck /business before you really have no idea of how much you don't know! Think it over.

Triplet Dad 12-14-2017 01:22 AM

Thanks for your reply and good advice Repete. I guess I want to get started with my own business right away because I am 50 and really tired of working for other people.

repete 12-14-2017 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triplet Dad (Post 540765)
Thanks for your reply and good advice Repete. I guess I want to get started with my own business right away because I am 50 and really tired of working for other people.

I completely understand, I'm 60 and have gone down the self employed road and I can tell you it's not all that its cracked up to be ! At this point in time you probably don't even know if you'd like driving a truck. It's good to dream and even better to have goals and ambition just as long as your firmly anchored in reality.
My advice (even though you haven't asked) would be to go to a certified school in your area and obtain your CDL, while in that school apply to several companies and get a few pre-hire letters. Then when you graduate be prepared to go with the top company on your list, they will want you to go thru a few days of orientation and then go out with a driver trainer for somewhere between 3-6 weeks (average, maybe more) in that time that's where you really learn what's involved in trucking.
Good luck and any questions just ask.

Triplet Dad 12-15-2017 01:42 AM

Schools?

Would you suggest getting my CDL from a private trucking school or technical college? Which option would get me a better job?

Blacksheep 12-15-2017 01:55 AM

Have you looked into OOIDA ?

Triplet Dad 12-15-2017 01:37 PM

I haven't but I will. Was asking about school options because I live in Georgia and there is almost free tuition for CDL at local Tech Schools. I would go to private CDL school if there was more job options, but if it doesn't matter if would go the almost free route.

repete 12-15-2017 07:49 PM

If the vocational schools are certified then I'd jump on that, but if not I'd start calling/email trucking companies your interested in and see if they will accept graduate students from uncertified schools. Make sure you give the school name, some companies will make exceptions for certain schools. At worse or best depending on how you look at it, you may have to pay out $4-5 grand for school but it's worth it! Some bottom feeder co. will hire anyone and pay .25 a mile vs. a better co. will start out at say.35-.41 cpm. HUGE difference. you should start a new thread here in this forum..