Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Favorite places to stop and things to see... (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/34691-favorite-places-stop-things-see.html)

Syncrosonix 07-21-2008 11:20 PM

i have yet to be routed along the extraterrestrial highway. i think it'd be pretty neat even though i'd see nothing but dirt, dust devils, and possibly a ufo. 8)

matcat 07-21-2008 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipy46
Any of you guys get close to Area 51 8)

There really arent any roads going anywhere near it, that would actually have any use for freight to be shipped on.

Colts Fan 07-22-2008 12:10 AM

I went through Gettysburg off US30 the other day. I didn't get out to see anything but it looked like a pretty cool place. It looks like a sweet place to take the family on a vacation.

Double R 07-22-2008 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colts Fan
I went through Gettysburg off US30 the other day. I didn't get out to see anything but it looked like a pretty cool place. It looks like a sweet place to take the family on a vacation.

US30 in Gettysburg has a 53' restrication. Although no one follows it, including the local cops.

That is a nice area out that way. The wife and I spent are honeymoon in Lancaster,PA. Lots of fun and a nice drive taking US30 from Pittsburgh to Lancaster(although I don't reccomend it in a truck). Use to deliver out that way every week.

ct77 07-22-2008 12:22 AM

Funny yall should talk about I-70 Denver to Utah, took it last week and got to take the scenic detour up 6 over loveland pass because they were workin on the tunnel, sure is neat looking 1000ft over you and seeing a long line of semis snaking along the side of the mt over you.

dollarshort 07-22-2008 12:45 AM

WoW!

I took that same detour about 2 weeks ago. They were paving on the other side of the tunnel so they routed us over Loveland Pass. That was amazing. I even stopped at the top and made a snowball. Pretty neat thing to do the first week of July.

Took alot of pictures though. Very nice ride!

Also, I got the chance to take 14A east from Lovell, WY this week. That reminded me alot of Loveland Pass too. Only problem with that was I had 47,600 pounds in the box. When I went over Loveland Pass I only had 12,000 pounds in the box.

ct77 07-22-2008 01:39 AM

Re: WoW!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dollarshort
I took that same detour about 2 weeks ago. They were paving on the other side of the tunnel so they routed us over Loveland Pass. That was amazing. I even stopped at the top and made a snowball. Pretty neat thing to do the first week of July.

Took alot of pictures though. Very nice ride!

Also, I got the chance to take 14A east from Lovell, WY this week. That reminded me alot of Loveland Pass too. Only problem with that was I had 47,600 pounds in the box. When I went over Loveland Pass I only had 12,000 pounds in the box.

Top was full of tourists so I couldnt pull over. Funny part was on the way down I heard someone griping about out of state drivers slowing everthing down on the way down, since I was the second truck in line I had to bust his bubble and tell him it was a NAVAJO truck out of Denver.

As far as I was concerned he was doing the right thing, not knowing his load or experience he was getting the truck safely down the mountain.

I did pass him though as soon as I had a clear shot. :)

Syncrosonix 07-22-2008 02:15 AM

i-70 is, by far, the best from denver to utah, or the other way around. no other freeway beats it.

US26 is real cool, too. it runs along the base of mt. hood here in oregon. i did that a few times, all at night time while it was snowing. it made for a helluva trip. one of those times, it was i who made the tracks and plowed my way through the snow. if i went off the road, i wonder if people would have followed those tracks....

Jumbo 07-22-2008 03:47 AM

Devils Tower in Wyoming. Neat just to see it off in the distance.

matcat 07-22-2008 04:07 AM

Denver to Salina, UT is my favorite stretch of drive. I've done it couple times, and everytime I did it I had a 40,000+ load. First time I did it I was going west bound, and was very nervous about the mountains, but I found it wasn't anywhere near as bad as everyone makes it sound, just slow and steady keeps you alive :). Every time I went through those mountains I saw at least one truck smoking his brakes on the way down doing 70+, just nuts. Thanks to my weight every time I was usually only doing about 20-25 on my way up to the tunnel, and only did about 40-45 on the way down.

It is well worth it though for the scenery. Man I wish I could get back on the road again.