Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   have any of you guys ever lost a strap (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/34426-have-any-you-guys-ever-lost-strap.html)

tropolis 06-30-2008 03:38 PM

have any of you guys ever lost a strap

i was watching ice road truckers and the guy got a loose strap and had to jump out real quick and tighten that. anyone ever have a strap just fall off?

BigDiesel 06-30-2008 06:06 PM

Re: have any of you guys ever lost a strap

Quote:

Originally Posted by tropolis
i was watching ice road truckers and the guy got a loose strap and had to jump out real quick and tighten that. anyone ever have a strap just fall off?

Like a Jock Strap ???

Syncrosonix 06-30-2008 06:33 PM

Re: have any of you guys ever lost a strap

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel
Quote:

Originally Posted by tropolis

Like a Jock Strap ???

or a strap-on? :lol: :lol:

TomB985 06-30-2008 06:36 PM

Never had it happen, although I don't pull a conventional flatbed, either...

I don't think it's very common, but it certainly is possible...

Uturn2001 06-30-2008 06:36 PM

Nope. but then again I always wrapped the hook end around the rail in such a way that it made it difficult for a loose strap to actually fall off.

As far as straps loosening in route goes it happens all the time due to cargo settling and shifting and the strap itself stretching some which is why the smart flatbed drivers stop about 20 minutes out and check and retighten and do this every couple of hours while enroute, sometimes more often depending on the load.

repete 06-30-2008 06:58 PM

Nah, never lost one yet, there always laying right there on the floor when I open the doors :lol:

JeffTheTerrible 07-01-2008 12:13 AM

I had one snap on me as I was tightening it. I made it a point to inspect them much more carefully after that happened. As for having them loosen up on me while I was going down the road, yes, but I've never actually lost one.

Rev.Vassago 07-01-2008 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repete
Nah, never lost one yet, there always laying right there on the floor when I open the doors :lol:

I lost 6 of them the other day after opening my doors. But then I found out that the guys on the dock "accidentally" took them off my trailer, and after I complained, they reluctantly gave them back to me, claiming they didn't know what trailer they belonged to. :lol:

GMAN 07-01-2008 01:32 AM

I don't recall having lost any straps, but have had them to loosen. I make a habit of checking my straps or chains every time I stop. Starting out it is a good idea to stop after about 50 miles to see if everything is properly secured. If you properly hook your strap around the rub rail, you should not lose your strap. I always keep an eye on the load using the rear view mirrors. You can usually spot a loose strap before it gets critical.

Rawlco 07-01-2008 05:55 PM

I have never lost a strap, but I have seen a few lying in the road. Once I did see an oncomming truck lose a strap. I imagine that the loose end of the strap got caught under a tire because that strap went flying up into the air and came down at least 8 feet into the grass on the side of the road.