Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Car Hauling - Whats it about (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/34417-car-hauling-whats-about.html)

matcat 06-29-2008 03:45 PM

Car Hauling - Whats it about

Hey, I just got offered a car hauling position, but I don't know much about it, anyone got any info?

Tobytob 06-29-2008 04:04 PM

It's a good job when it's busy. When we are not busy things can get really slow and boring, but the pay is good. u just have to keep ur damages down. if you are a person who pay great attn to detail then you will be great for this job.
What company offered u a position?

GMAN 06-29-2008 04:10 PM

It is a good job, but very demanding. It requires a lot of stamina. The pay is usually good, but you will probably do more deadheading than most other types of hauling. I haven't kept up with rates recently, but when I hauled cars rates were pretty good. Most car haulers pay drivers percentage. If you keep your damages down, you can do very well.

belpre122 06-30-2008 08:08 AM

I'm told that 70k is not at all unusual in that line of work Matt. You are a young man, you can handle the labor and you have a good attitude. Go for it. Get back in the saddle.

Of course, armed with all of the knowledge that you have digested from CAD, you are bound to be successful. :wink:

GMAN 06-30-2008 11:30 AM

Starting out pay should run around $55-70M/year. A good experienced car hauler can earn from $75-120M/year.

Chasing Daylight 06-30-2008 01:45 PM

I've never tried it personally, but it seems to be about hauling cars. :)

matcat 06-30-2008 08:29 PM

Well it looks like I will be hauling cars! Working for an indy owner op. Truck is a freightliner argosy cab over, will be a bit of getting used to I guess being used to conventionals. Although it looks like it will be a lot easyer to work with compared to a conventional car hauler. It's a 4 and 4 enclosed. I'm used to dry van so this will be a new experience for me.

Tobytob 06-30-2008 11:05 PM

Enclosed!

Enclosed, is a great job. Just be careful when loading and unloading. You don't have much room on either side to make any mistakes, to far to the right or left and u will lose a mirror or or scratch something.
Those are pretty good trucks. just be careful when loading, remember take ur time..

belpre122 07-01-2008 01:45 AM

Matt... Pay particular attention to what Tobytob is telling you. This job will not only require, but will hinge upon your paying attention to details. Keep your mind on the job.

This is your ticket out of languishing within the irregular-route coolie carrier OTR industry.

Concentrate totally on becoming proficient at the job at hand. Absolutely no distractions. None!

Keep us posted. I'm rooting for ya brother.

wsyrob 07-01-2008 03:04 AM

Congrats. Sounds like Swift did you a favor cutting you loose. Good luck