Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Why don't T/A, Pilot, Flying J, Blue B, timestamp receipts? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/34038-why-dont-t-pilot-flying-j-blue-b-timestamp-receipts.html)

belpre122 05-27-2008 03:11 AM

Why don't T/A, Pilot, Flying J, Blue B, timestamp receipts?

I'm interested to hear from the apologists on this one???? I know that it is readily available if requested. Why not print it out on all receipts given to every driver?
Why the mystery? Please convince me that the full time stamp should not be there.

DaveP 05-27-2008 04:08 AM

Ummm...I think they leave it off to keep ink costs down.

I don't mind.

NotSteve 05-27-2008 07:04 AM

I think it's so they can leave the real time up to the driver for creative log book entries. I'll bet if just one company put the time stamps on they would see a dramatic drop in fuel sales. A time stamp really puts a mark as to where you were at a specific time and doesn't allow for one to fudge your log.

thebaldeagle655 05-27-2008 02:44 PM

I think this is a hold over from the "good ole days" when it was not as easy as logging onto the internet to check a transaction time to ensure it matched the log book entry. DOT had no way to confirm a time and fuel stops did not have to match the time on the log book. Today, computers have given DOT inspectors a tool that enables them to check almost instantly the time of a transaction. As such, fuel stops need to match! I think it is only a matter of time until the time stamps are mandated by the feds though. I am with you, it would make my day easier by being able to look at a receipt and using that time stamp to match a log too when I forgot to write down the time, fueled and got down the road and realized I forgot to log it :)

Trukrswyfe 05-27-2008 02:54 PM

It's not just the TA's and truckstops. The bills we would give out weren't time stamped either, well the driver's copy anyway.

It's called give a Trucker a break. It's about all they get. 8)

RottsATruckin 05-27-2008 09:02 PM

I tend to agree with the “helps with creative logging” concept, my former company got a disk in the mail from the truck stops that DID have the time stamp on it, and they cross referenced it with your logs so they’d better match.
DAMHIK :oops:

Walking Eagle 05-28-2008 12:58 AM

If you use a CC for fuel, Comdata, TCH etc. when the company get the bill it shows right on there the time to the minute when you fueled at XYZ stop also if you run into a real Ahole DOT they can request it from the station you are showing. Been there, done that with both DOT and the company log department.

bigdad7 05-28-2008 06:59 PM

i had an 0/0 that lived next door to me ....real nice guy allways payed for fuel with cash drives 58 mph hour and logs 70 ......not a bad deal

Chasing Daylight 05-29-2008 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdad7
i had an 0/0 that lived next door to me ....real nice guy allways payed for fuel with cash drives 58 mph hour and logs 70 ......not a bad deal

so he effectively looses 12mph. over the course of ten hours, thats 120 miles. So he drives 13.5 hours and logs 11? Guess sleep isn't a priority for him.

BigWheels 05-29-2008 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chasing Daylight
Quote:

so he effectively looses 12mph. over the course of ten hours, thats 120 miles. So he drives 13.5 hours and logs 11? Guess sleep isn't a priority for him.

Or maybe he's got the right connections, a healthy paycheck, and the rig payed for. Just sayin'. :)

Karnajj 05-29-2008 01:52 AM

Re: Why don't T/A, Pilot, Flying J, Blue B, timestamp receip

Quote:

Originally Posted by belpre122
I'm interested to hear from the apologists on this one???? I know that it is readily available if requested. Why not print it out on all receipts given to every driver?
Why the mystery? Please convince me that the full time stamp should not be there.

Why get so upset over such a meaningless issue? Have a lot of extra time on our hands do we?

BigDiesel 05-29-2008 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walking Eagle
If you use a CC for fuel, Comdata, TCH etc. when the company get the bill it shows right on there the time to the minute when you fueled at XYZ stop also if you run into a real Ahole DOT they can request it from the station you are showing. Been there, done that with both DOT and the company log department.

DOT would need to obtain a court order to view credit card transactions...

Chasing Daylight 05-29-2008 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigWheels
Quote:

Quote:

Or maybe he's got the right connections, a healthy paycheck, and the rig payed for. Just sayin'. :)

If that were the case, he wouldn't need to BS his logs. He could run 58, log 58 and be fine.

BigWheels 05-30-2008 02:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If that were the case, he wouldn't need to BS his logs. He could run 58, log 58 and be fine.

Yeah, I had a different take on the logging 70 part -- having 8-days to log 70-hours (rather then driving 58mph and then logging 70mph).

stanman63 05-30-2008 12:11 PM

i wish some of you people would start living in the real world. its to hard to log the dot way day in and day out and make any money. the way shippers work any more you would be hard pressed to get seven or eight hours of driving most of the time. and the dot can not get any info about fuel stops from calling or logging on to any thing they dont give out that kind of information

b00m 05-31-2008 12:19 AM

Having a receipt on you with an exact time and date just really shows what and where you were doing.More government control over us ,and sincerely i don't NEED IT!!!.But anyways,i know someone that got nailed when he kept his toll receipts next to his log book.A big NO NO since the DOT nailed him really good for forging his log book. But yes, i have this question: are you really obligated to keep the fuel receipts even tough lets say you account for fuel purchases electronically?Can they make you provide them?

Kaji 05-31-2008 12:27 AM

They can't force you to provide receipts as far as I know but they do have full access to your comdata card, even your supposedly private bank account side. I write out my entire day's log around the fuel stop if I have to save time. Compress the before and after and they have no way of knowing.

chuck3507 05-31-2008 06:28 AM

Quote:

Maybe they should outlaw loose leaf logbooks also??? With no time on the receipt you just have to log it on the right day.

belpre122 05-31-2008 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karnajj
Why get so upset over such a meaningless issue?

It is a very meaningful issue in regards to companies/dispatchers leaning on drivers to run illegally based on the so-called 'absence' of a time-stamp readily printed on the paper receipt.

Ever wonder how many drivers have been burned because he/she felt that since the paper receipt did not note an actual time.................they were off the hook? Until they went to court....................and/or prison.

I recently read an article on one of these sites regarding a driver who was burned, when it was shown from a cellular company's records that he was indeed talking on a cell phone at the time of an accident. Imagine the shock on his (and the attorney's) faces when the plaintiff presented that little zinger! Oooops.
Quote:

Have a lot of extra time on our hands do we?

Yep! Us fuel transport drivers tend to have that problem.

Go Reds!
:wink: :D

Karnajj 06-01-2008 02:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Why get so upset over such a meaningless issue?

It is a very meaningful issue in regards to companies/dispatchers leaning on drivers to run illegally based on the so-called 'absence' of a time-stamp readily printed on the paper receipt.

Ever wonder how many drivers have been burned because he/she felt that since the paper receipt did not note an actual time.................they were off the hook? Until they went to court....................and/or prison.

I recently read an article on one of these sites regarding a driver who was burned, when it was shown from a cellular company's records that he was indeed talking on a cell phone at the time of an accident. Imagine the shock on his (and the attorney's) faces when the plaintiff presented that little zinger! Oooops.
Quote:

Have a lot of extra time on our hands do we?

Yep! Us fuel transport drivers tend to have that problem.

Go Reds!
:wink: :D

If you think carriers are using a lack of a time stamp as a means of getting drivers to drive illegally your nuts. There are too many other ways for the dot to check your log for that to be effective.

belpre122 06-01-2008 08:01 AM

Quote:

If you think carriers are using a lack of a time stamp as a means of getting drivers to drive illegally your nuts. There are too many other ways for the dot to check your log for that to be effective.

That's exactly what I think Karnajj. Maybe that is why we disagree on the the seriousness of this issue. Anybody else with any thoughts?

Cat6869 06-12-2008 01:28 AM

Quote:

I am not sure but I know CAT scales have the times on there and many drivers feel it is not on there. The time that is.

Make sure you look for military time being inked on them receipts.

It might look like

2127 or it might look like 212730 ( I think that is how hours,minutes & seconds go in military style??).

But yeah if you look at cat scales the time is stamped. Just look for the military time to the time it currently is where you are scaling etc.

Just wanted to warn you. We don't use pilot etc so I am not familiar anymore to their receipts. I would however look for that information as I thought the time was on those receipts.

dewercs2 06-13-2008 09:47 PM

I understand that when you drive by a scale house and your pre pass or ez pass is zapped DOT and your company know where you are so the log better match if they check it.
I also started to see on either, light poles or 18ft poles on the side of highways, little boxes that are either white or beige in color. They are angled toward the #1 and #2 lanes and are sometimes spread two to four poles in a row. Anybody know what those are???

BigWheels 06-14-2008 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewercs2
...I also started to see on either, light poles or 18ft poles on the side of highways, little boxes that are either white or beige in color. They are angled toward the #1 and #2 lanes and are sometimes spread two to four poles in a row. Anybody know what those are???

DOT and Dept. of Homeland Security are x-raying you and your freight. :wink:

Do you see the poles around tolls? scales?

pcmartin 06-16-2008 02:17 AM

Cat6869: you are right about the CAt scale tickets, the time is on the left hand side half way down. Now then flip to the second page, no time showing. I always throw the front page away.

dewercs2 06-17-2008 07:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

...I also started to see on either, light poles or 18ft poles on the side of highways, little boxes that are either white or beige in color. They are angled toward the #1 and #2 lanes and are sometimes spread two to four poles in a row. Anybody know what those are???

I've seen them a few miles (2-5) from a scale or a toll both. I've tried looking on the net but haven't seen anything.
I'm assuming for raidiation detection would require a larger scanner.?
I started noticing these things back east... Ohio, PA etc.... I've also seen on 99 here in Cali and on the 10 and 15/215 here. I can't believe nobody has noticed them before.

Orangetxguy 06-17-2008 02:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I've seen them a few miles (2-5) from a scale or a toll both. I've tried looking on the net but haven't seen anything.
I'm assuming for raidiation detection would require a larger scanner.?
I started noticing these things back east... Ohio, PA etc.... I've also seen on 99 here in Cali and on the 10 and 15/215 here. I can't believe nobody has noticed them before.

Your not mistaken Paul...there are units mounted on poles along various roads nationwide now. I have been wondering their main purpose. They are smaller than what is used at scale houses for prepass...but look like they do the same job.

Myself...I've been thinking they have more to do with "over-height" monitoring, since it seems I see them within a few miles of bridges with questionable clearances. There has been a lot of new pavement laid in the last couple years...and they haven't shaved every road surface...to keep the clearances where they should be.

supertrucker 01-28-2017 01:20 PM

Are You Kidding Me?????

Quote:

Originally Posted by belpre122 (Post 384441)

Why would you want the time on there Mr. Legal Begal???? If DOT wants to get the time all they have to do is call the card you use.

Copperhead 01-28-2017 02:42 PM

Holy revival from the dead, batman! Revival of an over 8 yr old thread!