Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   IdleAire Bankrupt (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/33877-idleaire-bankrupt.html)

BigWheels 05-14-2008 02:53 AM

IdleAire Bankrupt

http://www.wztv.com/template/inews_w...ox17.com.shtml

IdleAire has filed for bankrupcy.

The environmental movement must be having a cow over this one. :!:

IdleAire is a good idea but their business model probably didn't take into account that the economy slowed down as much as did and that diesel prices soared as much as they did.

Double L 05-14-2008 03:01 AM

I use to think that IdleAire would be EVERYWHERE with the increase in the price of diesel! I was wrong! I'm curious and this maybe off topic but are APU's still allowed in Cali? Last I heard Cali is supposely banning APU's cause they "pollute"? :roll:

Drew10 05-14-2008 03:05 AM

Idle air (IMO) was nothing more than a means to profit from us drivers by laying the environment and usage of fuel quilt on us and our companies that they thought would "buy" into the scam and tried to ram it down our throats. Idle air was not and never would have been a solution to the idling problem, and it created a parking problem at the truckstops.
Maybe if Idle air came out a decade or 2 ago, before the advances in anti idling technolgy, it may have suceeded. A sleeper truck needs to be self sufficient when it come to heating/cooling/and supplying electrical power to the sleeper, without the use of the main engine. Generators/APUs is the real solution.
Idle air came out way to late to be even alittle effective, just look at the frames of the trucks today and the APUs installed on them, just in the last year or so I have seen a dramatic increase in the APUs on the sides of trucks.

Double L 05-14-2008 03:15 AM

Hmmm I didn't realize that it was a scam! I knew IdleAire created a BIG parking issue I seen them at truckstops and plus they ruined the chance to take some good pictures of some good looking trucks!

Bumper 05-14-2008 06:03 AM

I have used it many times. I never thought of it as a scam. Yes you paid for it, but no, your truck was not idling and wasting fuel. And the cost of the fuel you would have wasted was more than the cost of idleaire.

APUs are not legal in CA, yet.

TomB985 05-14-2008 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumper

UNLESS your truck has an older than '07 engine without the new EPA emissions stuff...

BIG JEEP on 44's 05-14-2008 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumper
I have used it many times. I never thought of it as a scam. Yes you paid for it, but no, your truck was not idling and wasting fuel. And the cost of the fuel you would have wasted was more than the cost of idleaire.

Idle air is only effective when parked at a truck stop and plugged into idle air... :wink:

BIG JEEP on 44's 05-14-2008 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew10
Idle air (IMO) was nothing more than a means to profit from us drivers by laying the environment and usage of fuel quilt on us and our companies that they thought would "buy" into the scam and tried to ram it down our throats. Idle air was not and never would have been a solution to the idling problem, and it created a parking problem at the truckstops.
Maybe if Idle air came out a decade or 2 ago, before the advances in anti idling technolgy, it may have suceeded. A sleeper truck needs to be self sufficient when it come to heating/cooling/and supplying electrical power to the sleeper, without the use of the main engine. Generators/APUs is the real solution.
Idle air came out way to late to be even alittle effective, just look at the frames of the trucks today and the APUs installed on them, just in the last year or so I have seen a dramatic increase in the APUs on the sides of trucks.

Ok I'm going back on my meds immediately after typing this , because I agree with your post 100% .

Jumbo 05-14-2008 12:47 PM

I use the Idle Air about twice a month. Last week down in Georgia I plugged in for the night. It sure beat idling the truck tp keep cool all night. I wouldn't rent a movie from them,not for $10.00.

Double L 05-14-2008 12:55 PM

$10.00 for a movie, last time I checked you can rent a movie from Blockbuster for $7.00 unless the price went up.