Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Fridge for Freightliner Columbia (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/33750-fridge-freightliner-columbia.html)

Danisawannabe 05-05-2008 04:44 PM

Fridge for Freightliner Columbia

Just got upgraded to a 2005 Columbia with a tri-pak. Would like to upgrade from my Coleman cooler to a real fridge. Measured space, then looked around (Wally mart, Sears, Target, Office depot and such) for one that would fit in the hole. No luck so far.

Does anyone know of a make/model that will fit in the hole for the fridge, and who sells it?

TIA,
Dan

Rev.Vassago 05-05-2008 04:52 PM

Re: Fridge for Freightliner Columbia

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danisawannabe
Just got upgraded to a 2005 Columbia with a tri-pak. Would like to upgrade from my Coleman cooler to a real fridge. Measured space, then looked around (Wally mart, Sears, Target, Office depot and such) for one that would fit in the hole. No luck so far.

Does anyone know of a make/model that will fit in the hole for the fridge, and who sells it?

TIA,
Dan

If you remove the entire cabinet, you can fit a GE 4.3 Cu Ft. fridge from Wal Mart in the space. It is really easy to remove the cabinet, and you can use the top of the fridge for storage. I put one in the 2005 Century Class I used to drive.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2593968

Danisawannabe 05-05-2008 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
If you remove the entire cabinet, you can fit a GE 4.3 Cu Ft. fridge from Wal Mart in the space. It is really easy to remove the cabinet, and you can use the top of the fridge for storage. I put one in the 2005 Century Class I used to drive.

Thanks for the info. Will it fit in snug? Should I get some straps to hold it down?

Thanks, Dan

allan5oh 05-05-2008 08:02 PM

http://www.truckfridge.com/models.html

Efficient fridges that have true 12VDC compressors, not inverters running an AC compressor. In english, they're much more efficient.

Rev.Vassago 05-06-2008 01:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago

Thanks for the info. Will it fit in snug? Should I get some straps to hold it down?

Thanks, Dan

Yes, it is a tight fit. I never secured mine, and it never budged. I would, however, get one of those plastic child safety locks for the front of it. I believe the one that works well on it is the one used to hold toilet seat lids down. Otherwise the door will swing open when you make a left hand turn.

Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh
Efficient fridges that have true 12VDC compressors, not inverters running an AC compressor. In english, they're much more efficient.

It's also 4 times the amount of an AC fridge, and less than half the space.

allan5oh 05-06-2008 03:40 AM

Sure but it will actually last, and is a true fit.

Rev.Vassago 05-06-2008 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh
Sure but it will actually last, and is a true fit.

The GE fridge has lasted 3 1/2 years so far, and fit like a glove. :wink: FWIW, the plastic used in those 12V fridges is cheap, and becomes very brittle very quickly.

Uturn2001 05-06-2008 04:48 AM

Here is a few things to consider.

1. Unless that APU provides AC power through an inverter tied into the truck's batteries you are not going to have AC power to keep an AC fridge operating while running down the road unless you leave the APU running. Likewise if the APU does not have a charger hooked into the batteries and you install an inverter for your fridge you may wake up to a dead truck in the morning.

2. If this is a company truck you could get into major trouble if you start tearing out cabinets.

driver67373 05-08-2008 01:51 AM

Quote:

TIA,
Dan

Sent you a PM

Rev.Vassago 05-08-2008 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Here is a few things to consider.

1. Unless that APU provides AC power through an inverter tied into the truck's batteries you are not going to have AC power to keep an AC fridge operating while running down the road unless you leave the APU running. Likewise if the APU does not have a charger hooked into the batteries and you install an inverter for your fridge you may wake up to a dead truck in the morning.

I know you've been out of trucking for quite a while now (those kids gotta have their diapers changed, you know!), but apparently you haven't a clue as to how a Thermo King Tri Pac works. :roll:

choperbob 05-08-2008 11:01 PM

rev v. ouch! sometimes kids need diapers changed. most companies will fire someone for pulling out cabinets. yeah tech. has changed. my apu supplies 120v. all the time it will kick on when it needs to. it is smarter than me. as far as fridge, pull out cabinet and fit the largest freezer/ fridge that will fit behind your seat when it is set for best driving. buy a cheap wal mart micro wave and you will save lots of money on food

Rev.Vassago 05-09-2008 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choperbob
rev v. ouch! sometimes kids need diapers changed.

They sure do. But changing diapers does not make you an expert on trucking, just like being a former truck driver does not make you an expert on today's trucking technology.

Quote:

most companies will fire someone for pulling out cabinets.
While this may be true, I doubt there is any company that would fire you for asking if you could.

Quote:

yeah tech. has changed. my apu supplies 120v. all the time it will kick on when it needs to. it is smarter than me.
The Thermo King Tri Pac of today supplies 120V power via an inverter, and will supply 12V power to your batteries to recharge. Running a 120V fridge would work just fine on a system such as this.

Quote:

as far as fridge, pull out cabinet and fit the largest freezer/ fridge that will fit behind your seat when it is set for best driving. buy a cheap wal mart micro wave and you will save lots of money on food
That's exactly what I was talking about, and is exactly what I did in my Century Class (as a company driver, BTW). And yes - I asked before I pulled out the cabinet, after giving them specifics as to what I was doing. They told me it was fine as long as that cabinet ended up back in the truck without any alterations or damage.

LadyNorthStar 05-11-2008 05:15 PM

Take the cabinet out, you should not get fired (??) because you can save the bolts and put the dang thing back in. I've done it several times myself.

Walking Eagle 05-11-2008 08:09 PM

The Tri Pack is basicaly a big motorized generator. They put in a big invertor, think 2000 watt is standard, mine I got a 3000 watt cuz of all the cr@p I plug in. It runs everything and if the batteries get low the Tri Pack fires up and re charges the batteries. The Rig Master and Carrier units you have to fire up to get 110 volts.

Rev.Vassago 05-11-2008 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyNorthStar
Take the cabinet out, you should not get fired (??) because you can save the bolts and put the dang thing back in. I've done it several times myself.

From what I remember, that cabinet is a whopping 4 bolts to take out too.

TomB985 05-11-2008 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walking Eagle
The Tri Pack is basicaly a big motorized generator. They put in a big invertor, think 2000 watt is standard, mine I got a 3000 watt cuz of all the cr@p I plug in. It runs everything and if the batteries get low the Tri Pack fires up and re charges the batteries. The Rig Master and Carrier units you have to fire up to get 110 volts.

My tripac was just put in a month ago...but the problem is that it only has a 60 amp alternator! This is good for a whopping...780 watts....

meaning that if you max out the standard 1800 watt inverter, you are still draining your batteries...even with the tripac running...

Can't leave anything over 700 watts plugged in for any length of time, or you'll drain your batteries...

Walking Eagle 05-11-2008 09:05 PM

What are you running with a super drain ? At the minute I am in S florida so A/C is running, computer, printer/scanner, fridge, cell is plugged in and heated some soup in the micro. I used my laptop to monitor my batteries, if it switches to on board battery I know it it time to shut other things down.
Maybe your truck batteries are getting weak.

Walking Eagle 05-11-2008 09:14 PM

Are you an O/O or company driver ? If O/O replace the running batteries with deep cycle golf cart batteries. Cost a little more but well worth it. The constant dis-charge/re-charge will break down regular truck batteries in less than a year but golf cart batteries will last 3 or more.

TomB985 05-11-2008 09:55 PM

Haven't had a problem with it, becuase as you say, you will almost never use that much power for any real length of time. But, when I'm using my 1,000 watt water heater for more than a few minutes, even with the APU running, my low battery alarm in my truck starts to go off...becuase the APU can't produce as much energy as is being used, so it drains the batteries.

My truck batteries are a bit weak, but my company won't replace them...I've tried! But, with the apu, I don't think I'll have a problem for quite awhile... :)

Walking Eagle 05-11-2008 10:02 PM

That's the problem, weak batteries. I have a water heater for the sink and shower and the only time I would have a problem was if the WH went on when the micro did, when I switched th the three golf cart batteries the problem went away :D

Danisawannabe 05-12-2008 05:16 PM

Thanks for all the responses.

I think the discussion got settled on the tri-pak issue. Mine has an 1800 watt triplite inverter and the tripak is supposed to charge the batteries as needed. If by chance that does not work as planned (dead batteries) I can jump from the reefer unit if needed, then rethink the issue.

This is a company truck. The good news is that it is a small company and they are likely to be ok with removing the cabinet if asked first. I have already removed two bezels, to make room for the cooler and my radio, and stored them in the truck. I did not ask about those two and no one has said anything yet.

When I get back to the yard later today I will ask about removing the cabinet and where to store it. Gonna ask permission for removing the cabinet because it is a large item that cannot be stored easily on the truck.

Thanks for all the advice. The best answers are usually found here.

Thanks again,

Dan

Lunker 05-12-2008 07:45 PM

Interstate won't allow the use of a 110 volt fridge because several drivers woke up to their truck on fire started by the cheap 110 fridge that wasn't designed for the constant vibrations and jolts from OTR use. So we as drivers have to buy expensive 12 volt fridges that are designed for such use.

Danisawannabe 05-13-2008 11:44 PM

Got the OK from the shop to remove the cabinet. Didn't think it would be problem but better to ask first. The shop has the cabinet for safekeeping.(BTW it was 4 nuts on the back and 2 bolts on the floor).

Got the fridge last night. A GE 4.3 cubic foot one. It fits ok where the cabinet was, but would like it to be less than 6 inches away from the wall. Still it is way better than the old 12 volt cooler.

Put the microwave on top of it and a piece of styrofoam from the packaging between that and the upper cabinet. Seems sturdy enough :roll: Will see if it stays put on I-295 around Richmond later tonight.

Used both the fridge + microwave at the same time without any problems yet. Will be testing it out before spending big $$$ on food stuff.

Thanks for the great advice everyone,

Dan

Rev.Vassago 05-14-2008 12:19 AM

Quote:

Got the OK from the shop to remove the cabinet. Didn't think it would be problem but better to ask first. The shop has the cabinet for safekeeping.(BTW it was 4 nuts on the back and 2 bolts on the floor).

Got the fridge last night. A GE 4.3 cubic foot one. It fits ok where the cabinet was, but would like it to be less than 6 inches away from the wall. Still it is way better than the old 12 volt cooler.

Put the microwave on top of it and a piece of styrofoam from the packaging between that and the upper cabinet. Seems sturdy enough :roll: Will see if it stays put on I-295 around Richmond later tonight.

Used both the fridge + microwave at the same time without any problems yet. Will be testing it out before spending big $$$ on food stuff.

Thanks for the great advice everyone,

Dan

Like I said earlier, I seriously recommend you put some sort of door lock on it, because it will attempt to open when you take a corner. I loved mine when I had it in the truck, and when I redo my sleeper, I may put one in again.