Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   summer2008 (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/33653-summer2008.html)

missoulatom 04-27-2008 12:10 PM

summer2008

Hey all. Been away for awhile. Wanting to get back in the driver's seat. Just wondering how folks are feeling about the availability (or lack of) freight these days.

I probably won't be able to get out for another month or so. Anyone have any thoughts on the "trucking economy" in the months ahead??

TomB985 04-27-2008 12:46 PM

Well...that depends on who you talk to.

You're about to see a bunch of people bitching about the economy, telling us all how bad things are, how rough the industry is right now, but...

I've kept moving just fine, and I expect I always will. Despite claims otherwise, even with high fuel prices and a stagnant economy, people still need to go to the store and buy things...

As long as there is an economy at all, there will be truck drivers needed to get the stuff there.

Not a bad time at all, IMHO :)

PA 04-27-2008 12:57 PM

Depends who you drive for and what you move.

GMAN 04-27-2008 01:13 PM

Freight has been off for about a year. I expect freight to be off the rest of this year and much of next year, perhaps longer. Currently there is freight availability, but rates are still not where we need them to be with current operational costs. There are still those who are attempting to move freight for $1/mile and they seem to be finding people who are willing to haul them, but they are becoming fewer. Those who continue to haul the cheap rates are going out of business at a high rate. There are owner operators who have parked their trucks and gone to work for someone else. Some areas of the country are better than others. East coast rates are higher than West coast rates. That is pretty much how it has always been with rates. There is usually more freight in the higher populated areas. You can still make a good living but will need to work harder and smarter to get along. I expect things to get worse in the coming months, but it won't last forever. These recessions come along at regular intervals. The key right now is to keep debt low and put as much money back as you can. Of course, that is something we should be doing at all times. Unless you have little or not debt and plenty of cash set aside, I am not sure that this would be the best time to buy a truck for the first time buyer. It isn't difficult to make money when the economy is doing well. It is a different story when we are in a recession or slow down.

If you drive for a carrier, you may be better off than if you run your own truck, depending on how well you manage your business. On the up side, rates do seem to be coming up. I had one call last week who told me to name my own price to take their load. Had I been free, I would likely have taken their load. I have some regular freight which I have been hauling, but getting good paying freight back to my good loads is more of a challenge. One broker for whom I have hauled freight previously have reduced their rates so I won't haul for them. In fact, I raised my rates to haul their freight.

I don't mean to discourage you from this business. You can still earn a good living. There are opportunities to do well for those who are ready. Good luck.

04-28-2008 07:26 AM

Re: summer2008

Bring back those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer...

There are structural changes happening in the US economy which greatly affect the OTR segment of trucking. In particular is the continued offshoring of US-based manufacturing to Mexico and the far east. The more manufacturing we offshore, the less demand there will be in coming years for OTR truckdrivers. You've probably heard that we are transitioning to a "service" or "knowledge"-based economy...well that does not bode well for those who haul point-to-point irregular-route domestic truckload freight. How many offices have docks you can bump?

In addition, people are buying more things like I-pods, on-line music, cell-phones, etc so the weight and density of purchases are shrinking.

ICEBURG!!!!! Get off the OTR shipwreck while you can. Summertime and the livin's easy....check out your local community college or vo-tech school and begin to hatch an escape plan from the dweller society. Healthcare jobs like radiologists, nursing, physician assistants, medical imaging, etc are all in high demand as our population grows older. Those jobs pay an above-board hourly wage with overtime and can't be outsourced. Plus you don't have to wait in line to take a shower. And unlike OTR, illegals can't be shipped-in who will whistle while they work for .ppm (pesos per mile). That's right...OTR is going the way of landscaping, construction, meatpacking, and many other low-skill jobs now done by illegals. Yep, the writing's on the wall and it sure as hell ain't in English!

Forewarned is forearmed!

GMAN 04-28-2008 12:32 PM

Whether the products are manufactured in the U.S. or abroad, they still need trucks to get them from point "A" to point "B". Driving a truck is one of the top 10 professions for growth in the coming years according to a recent study I saw. It would not be prudent for U.S. carriers to rely on foreign nationals to drive most of these trucks. This entire economy basically relies on trucks. Without trucks the economy would come to a halt, regardless of where the products are made.

Royedw 04-28-2008 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN
Whether the products are manufactured in the U.S. or abroad, they still need trucks to get them from point "A" to point "B". Driving a truck is one of the top 10 professions for growth in the coming years according to a recent study I saw. It would not be prudent for U.S. carriers to rely on foreign nationals to drive most of these trucks. This entire economy basically relies on trucks. Without trucks the economy would come to a halt, regardless of where the products are made.

Great point G-Man! From what I've read on this site it "appears" as if some companies aren't taking in inexperienced drivers, or have slowed down. I saw one comment indicating that Schneider has slowed down on adding new drivers, but then I heard an ad on the radio the other day that portrayed driving for Schneider as the best job out there! That's sure a long way from the cab-over I drove at 55mph :oops:

I've been out 10 years but I'm waiting for a callback from 2 companies, Maverick being one of them so we'll see. I've been job hunting for over a month and all I see are health industry related jobs, and of course sales. If trucking stops this country comes to a screeching halt and we're all in the breadline!!

Roy

04-28-2008 03:20 PM

hey CFM, (EDITED) . why do you constantly get on here and insult otr drivers like you are so much smarter than they are. (EDITED) . how many docks do you bumb a day, 15-20? you are doing the same job as anyother truck driver out there...driving a truck!! so you get home everyday, i'm real f'ing happy for ya as i am sure that everyone else on this forum is as well. you are god damn genius for finding a local job, go on spread more of your vast knowledge to everyone else. oh, by the way, who brings all that freight from other parts of the country for you to deliver??? it seems to me that without otr guys you would be unemployed, (EDITED) .

Rev.Vassago 04-28-2008 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedfxg
hey CFM, (EDITED) . why do you constantly get on here and insult otr drivers like you are so much smarter than they are. (EDITED) . how many docks do you bumb a day, 15-20? you are doing the same job as anyother truck driver out there...driving a truck!! so you get home everyday, i'm real f'ing happy for ya as i am sure that everyone else on this forum is as well. you are god damn genius for finding a local job, go on spread more of your vast knowledge to everyone else. oh, by the way, who brings all that freight from other parts of the country for you to deliver??? it seems to me that without otr guys you would be unemployed, (EDITED)

Tell us how you really feel. Which one of the mults is CFM?

Personally, I think it is GMAN :D

Twilight Flyer 04-28-2008 04:16 PM

All right, knock off the personal insults. They are not needed.