Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Careless driving in MN (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/33640-careless-driving-mn.html)

treehouse 04-25-2008 04:56 PM

Careless driving in MN

I received a ticket for carless driving around St Paul last month. Ticket set a court date no fine on ticket. I wanted to try and work a deal to get city prosecutor to drop charges or what lawyers call a continuance for dismissal. He said show up for court. I thought I could work somthing out with him by phone or mail. A lawyer up there said for $800 he could get charges dismissed or give my money back. I really don't want to spend 800 bucks. I thought about just going to another state and transferring my cdl. Also ticket has a box where your sign saying your received ticket but i never signed mine could i get off on this?

thebaldeagle655 04-25-2008 05:07 PM

Not gonna bash you for the careless driving, there will be plenty others do it :) Going to another state and transferring your CDL will do nothing for you. MVR's transfer with the license, we are a computer age now and what you could get away with 10 years ago by moving to another state is in the past. Your record WILL follow you. If you don't want to spend the $800, you better find a job flipping burgers because most any company you apply for is going to do a record check, find the conviction and their insurance company is going to reject you due to the careless driving conviction. In Texas they call the "continuance for dismissal" Deferred Adjudication, sorry, not eligible for that with a CDL, federal law, not state law.

Basically you have screwed yourself into a corner. That's the reason a "professional" driver must watch the way he/she conducts themselves at all times, in a commercial vehicle or you POV.

Uturn2001 04-25-2008 05:25 PM

IMHO you need to do what you need to do to protect your CDL. A careless driving conviction is a VERY big deal for a CDL holder. It is considered a serious offense and two serious offense conviction within 3 years will get you a 2 month vacation and then you will not only have 2 serious offenses to deal with on your record but a license suspension as well.

As stated before transferring your license to another state will do nothing.

BigDiesel 04-25-2008 06:22 PM

Re: Careless driving in MN

Quote:

Originally Posted by treehouse
I received a ticket for carless driving around St Paul last month. Ticket set a court date no fine on ticket. I wanted to try and work a deal to get city prosecutor to drop charges or what lawyers call a continuance for dismissal. He said show up for court. I thought I could work somthing out with him by phone or mail. A lawyer up there said for $800 he could get charges dismissed or give my money back. I really don't want to spend 800 bucks. I thought about just going to another state and transferring my cdl. Also ticket has a box where your sign saying your received ticket but i never signed mine could i get off on this?

Accept responsibility for your CARELESS actions, and find a job that does not entail driving a CMV. No place in this industry for drivers like you....

treehouse 04-25-2008 06:34 PM

Thanks Duane er I mean super trucker.

flood 04-25-2008 07:11 PM

Quote:

I thought about just going to another state and transferring my cdl.

the only thing you can TRY is the lawyer.. if it get's on your record moving from state to state will not help... you have a CDL so you can't just move states and lose your driving record.

Quote:

ticket has a box where your sign saying your received ticket but i never signed mine could i get off on this?
NO you don't have to sign it saying you got it just ask some drivers that had a ticket MIALED to then

CrazyTulip 04-25-2008 07:36 PM

Get a lawyer and try to get this off your CDL; it's the best thing to do! BOL to ya.

Pony Express 04-25-2008 11:14 PM

Like everyone said, get a lawyer! You really don't want this to follow you for the next 3 yrs, it will make life difficult.

marylandkw 04-26-2008 12:24 AM

Quote:

Also ticket has a box where your sign saying your received ticket but i never signed mine could i get off on this?

During my tenure as a State Trooper, I rarely if ever had a defendant sign a Traffic Citation or Summons. I would simply write "possession of a valid DL" Had many a skilled attorney dispute it in court, and never had one overturned. By simply appearing in court you are admitting to receiving your summons.

Pay the $800 and count your lucky stars if it actually works. Otherwise prepare for several years of not driving.

p.s. Drive more careful now :D

DIESEL BEAST 04-26-2008 08:17 AM

i would like to know what you did that was considered careless.

DaveFromColorado 04-26-2008 08:44 AM

MN Careless Driving is an "attitude ticket" ... if the cop doesn't like you, he can say that ANY illegal action on the road (speeding, changing lanes without signaling, etc) is "careless driving" ... that's what makes that ticket such BS ...

Quote:

169.13 Subd. 2. Careless driving. Any person who operates or halts any vehicle upon any street or highway carelessly or heedlessly in disregard of the rights of others, or in a manner that endangers or is likely to endanger any property or any person, including the driver or passengers of the vehicle, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
The ONLY thing you can do is get the attorney as everyone said, and HOPE that it works in your favor.

--Dave.

treehouse 04-26-2008 03:40 PM

I went up to St. Paul in late march to work for Johnson bros liquour during a teamsters strike. Second week I went out with another strike worker to make deliveries. We started at 7am and had 27 stops. Due to us not knowing the area and the warehouse not loading the truck properly it was going to be a long day. Around 9pm we missed our first stop because the liqour store had closed. I called in to see if we could call it a day . Supervisor said OK.
Coworker and I argued he wanted to go to bars still open and make deliveries. Around 10pm I got in truck locked the doors and said I'm going back to the yard. I back out of an alley and he jumps on passenger side. I drive for about a mile he jumps off and pops hood. I drive off come back police there and arrest me for assault. I go to jail spend a night and next day judge releases me and as I leave jail receive summons for carless driving.

Fredog 04-26-2008 03:51 PM

Quote:

I went up to St. Paul in late march to work for Johnson bros liquour during a teamsters strike. Second week I went out with another strike worker to make deliveries. We started at 7am and had 27 stops. Due to us not knowing the area and the warehouse not loading the truck properly it was going to be a long day. Around 9pm we missed our first stop because the liqour store had closed. I called in to see if we could call it a day . Supervisor said OK.
Coworker and I argued he wanted to go to bars still open and make deliveries. Around 10pm I got in truck locked the doors and said I'm going back to the yard. I back out of an alley and he jumps on passenger side. I drive for about a mile he jumps off and pops hood. I drive off come back police there and arrest me for assault. I go to jail spend a night and next day judge releases me and as I leave jail receive summons for carless driving.

I think I have to agree with bigdiesel this time

CrazyTulip 04-26-2008 04:32 PM

Quote:

It doesn't matter at this point what happened; you got the ticket, spent a night in jail so it'll be on your record and DMV. So get a lawyer if you want to fight this; it's the only way. My husband got a speeding ticket in a school zone (32 m/ph in a 25 m/ph). He could've paid the ticket, but then you get points on your CDL. So he got a lawyer. We ended up paying more than half more than what the actual ticket cost but he doesn't have points on his CDL nor is it on his MVR record. It's up to you: what do you want? You can come back here and try defend yourself or bite the bullet and get a lawyer and try to knock some of this crap of your MVR! Let us know how it goes.

DaveFromColorado 04-27-2008 02:27 PM

Wait ... you tried to ditch your associate on the job by holding up in the truck and attempting to drive away - he meanwhile didn't want to get left in the middle of nowhere so he heald onto the truck, and you continued to drive anyway ... and all you got was a careless driving ticket?

You should be thankful he didn't fall off the truck and get run over, or worse killed - you should probably suck it up and accept the ticket - and hope you can find a job with that on your record, at this point, once the facts of the case are introduced, I don't think a lawyer can help you out too much.

--Dave.

TomB985 04-28-2008 02:16 AM

As easy as it is for everyone to crucify the OP here...

How many of us would not be EXTREMELY hostile after a 15 hour work day, and a coworker not letting you go home?

belpre122 04-28-2008 04:44 AM

Quote:

Treehouse...................I think that you have upped the ante in the 'there has to be more to the story' category. Do whatever you can to minimize this situation and move on..................using better judgement next time.

Jimbpard 04-28-2008 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB985
As easy as it is for everyone to crucify the OP here...

How many of us would not be EXTREMELY hostile after a 15 hour work day, and a coworker not letting you go home?

Extremely hostile? More than likely.
But how many of us are going to actually drive off with the poor guy hanging on the side of a tractor trailer?!?!? Well, maybe you better not answer that.
Usually I can sympathiza with these guys on here and their sob stories, but not this time. He's lucky thats all he got. If I was the judge, I'd cut his cdl into pieces and be sure he could never get one again. I wonder what he'd do if someone REALLY made him mad...

lurchgs 04-28-2008 06:13 AM

If I reach that point in the day where I'm dogged, but my partner wants to keep going, I call a taxi from the next stop.

I may be crazy, but I am not stupid