Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   "Get paid mileage or percentage of the load??" (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/33622-get-paid-mileage-percentage-load.html)

ohiomohawk 04-24-2008 06:14 AM

"Get paid mileage or percentage of the load??"

A regional job that operates within 500 mile raduis, 5 days out 2 in.

Reefer units/ food carrier

The company offers percentage or mileage pay. Why give an option? I don't think you can pick one option for each load, I think you pick one option and stick with it.

I have only dealt with companys that pay mileage, never dealt with percentage.

Quite simply I am skeptical of percentage pay. If you can shed a little more light on this(pros/cons) it would be greatly appreciated.

Frankly with 1 yr of OTR under my belt, believe it or not i am still a little GREEN!!! :lol: :lol:

Which option would you select and why?

BanditsCousin 04-24-2008 07:31 AM

I'd take mileage. Why? You know what you're getting. % may/may not be the sweeter deal.

What's the mileage pay? have you talked to drivers under the % plan or asked what is avg revenue from the carrier?

The current drivers will be wayyyyy better than asking any of us.

If it were me, I'd do mileage for 1 month. Then, I'd switch to % for 2-3 weeks and test the waters. This is only if I couldn't talk to other drivers about the pay or if the carrier won't shoot you any #'s.

Jimbpard 04-24-2008 07:42 AM

I'd take milage. Atleast you know what your getting. Whereas if your company if hauling cheap freight, your working for a cheap wage...
I'd ask if I could try each for 2 weeks though if they would do that for you...If not, milage is what I'd take

Jumbo 04-24-2008 10:03 AM

I work on percentage but, we haul oversize stuff so we get a pretty good rate. If we don't have a load coming back we get paid milage. It isn't alot but when you factor in your rate going out it comes out to a pretty good average.

GMAN 04-24-2008 12:31 PM

If the carrier has good rates, you would probably make more on percentage than mileage. If the carrier runs cheap freight you may earn more on mileage. I prefer percentage.

Fourcats 04-25-2008 02:36 AM

We were paid %. BUT the amount "paid per mile" was there for you to see. The rates were great outbound but you really had to watch the brokers on the way home.
From just looking at my check I could tell what the broker had paid on the way home, had to bring it to the bosses attention more than once.

Running milage always seemed to come up short, about 8%.

Do some math {milage vs %} so you get an idea of what to expect. You should do this anyway. Mistakes happen and the driver comes up short all to often. Numbers don't lie, but they can be "fudged".

all18wheels 04-25-2008 10:24 PM

percentage.
when i break it down,
ive never made less than 30 cpm
and average about 48 cpm.
one load cross country i made 82 CPM. that was only once. i wish it would happen again ( military loads pay good)
im a rookie too
flatbed rules

Chasing Daylight 04-27-2008 05:42 AM

Without seeing the numbers it's impossible to say for sure. But I would take the percentage. I always made better money running percentage than mileage. A lot depends on where you run, but overall percentage has always paid better for me. You will find yourself running cheap once in awhile, especially if you see a lot of the East coast as rates tend to be lousy there. But, even at that, much like all18, I never made less than .30 a mile.