Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   City Driving Logging "Metro" (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/33359-city-driving-logging-metro.html)

Uturn2001 04-08-2008 06:34 AM

Cat, those regs that you are quoting do not really apply in this case since the driver's company is requiring him to keep a log book.

belpre122 04-08-2008 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Cat, those regs that you are quoting do not really apply in this case since the driver's company is requiring him to keep a log book.

Thanks for the effort/info though Cat. I do fall under the 100 air mile radius stipulation. The company suddently decided that we need to start keeping log books for some reason. Possibly, they are expecting to pick up some accounts in neighboring states. I have not really minded too much. We also received the "gift" of GPS tracking at about the same time, so I am going to assume this might all be related. The "city driving", "metro" methods were so far in the past for me that I am just trying to make sure that I am logging correctly if I use these methods. At this point I have been using traditional logging............................and may stick with it LOL Thanks again.

kc0iv 04-08-2008 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countryhorseman
From my training notes, you are correct - logging such as Indianapolis Metro Area would be acceptable.

Take San Antonio, TX for instance - you may travel through 3 different municipalities all within the loop to get from one-side to the other - we log multiple deliveries as San Antonio Metro Area!

As I said before FMCSA doesn't really explain the Muli-stop.

Any school that teaches it as a "major metropolitan area" has no support from FMCSA. It is an assumption on their part. As I said earlier in most cases the distance traveled between stops is long enough you could simply not use the muli-stop option.

Logging a city such as Indianapolis might be fine, but what about a city such as New York City, Chicago, or Los Angeles? In cities like these you can have hundreds of miles that would include a "major metropolitan area."

kc0iv

countryhorseman 04-08-2008 01:38 PM

For your information - this course was taught by a Senior Texas Department of Public Safety Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Officer! It was a multi-level pilot course presented by the State of Texas! Not related to any school or trucking company! So I would believe the man knows what he is talking about!

There is a website, cannot find the link off hand, that gives legal interpretations of FMCSA rulings, and at the time, what I posted fell in line with those! When I get back in this afternoon, I will attempt to find it and post it here!

Unfortunately, the program has not received adequate funding and have been shelved for the time being! Hopefully at the next legislative session it will get its funding, and be made available for all Commercial drivers in the state and be a guide for other states.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kc0iv
Quote:

From my training notes, you are correct - logging such as Indianapolis Metro Area would be acceptable.

Take San Antonio, TX for instance - you may travel through 3 different municipalities all within the loop to get from one-side to the other - we log multiple deliveries as San Antonio Metro Area!

As I said before FMCSA doesn't really explain the Muli-stop.

Any school that teaches it as a "major metropolitan area" has no support from FMCSA. It is an assumption on their part. As I said earlier in most cases the distance traveled between stops is long enough you could simply not use the muli-stop option.

Logging a city such as Indianapolis might be fine, but what about a city such as New York City, Chicago, or Los Angeles? In cities like these you can have hundreds of miles that would include a "major metropolitan area."

kc0iv

Manicmechnic 04-08-2008 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belpre122
We also received the "gift" of GPS tracking at about the same time, so I am going to assume this might all be related. The "city driving", "metro" methods were so far in the past for me that I am just trying to make sure that I am logging correctly if I use these methods. At this point I have been using traditional logging............................and may stick with it LOL Thanks again.

What GPS unit? If it logs and you log I believe that is illeagle. I drove with a XATA I was told do not log in a book use the XATA. I'll look it up but if somebody finds for sure that would be great.

kc0iv 04-08-2008 04:00 PM

Quote:

For your information - this course was taught by a Senior Texas Department of Public Safety Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Officer! It was a multi-level pilot course presented by the State of Texas! Not related to any school or trucking company! So I would believe the man knows what he is talking about!

There is a website, cannot find the link off hand, that gives legal interpretations of FMCSA rulings, and at the time, what I posted fell in line with those! When I get back in this afternoon, I will attempt to find it and post it here!

Unfortunately, the program has not received adequate funding and have been shelved for the time being! Hopefully at the next legislative session it will get its funding, and be made available for all Commercial drivers in the state and be a guide for other states.

countryhorseman Having had many discussions with you in the past I learned you want to have the last word. So fine YOU can have the last word on this one also.

As I said before the FMCSA is silent on this subject. And unless there has been case law any interpretations is just that an interpretation.

Have a great day.

kc0iv

belpre122 04-08-2008 07:06 PM

Manic.....By "GPS", I meant that they had installed the black boxes that send out location/speed etc every 30 seconds. In other words, they installed a little "snitch" under the dashboard. :D There is no driver interface involved. If they hadn't told me that they were installing it, I would have never known it was even there.

KC0IV.....Yeah, I agree with you on the spotty precedence that I referred to with the whole Rand-McNally reference. Muddy.......for sure.

Horseman.......Like you, I remember being trained that way. I look forward to seeing what you find out.

Let's see where it goes. Thanks for everybody's input.

navydad 04-09-2008 07:44 AM

Hey BIG G man, whats up? Its me Big K....lol You know we live in the same town and you dont seem to call anymore...lol Well Im back on CAD after a long break. You should have called me, and I could have helped....lol

belpre122 04-09-2008 08:44 AM

Sorry K. Just got wrapped up and kept forgetting!. My BAD! Will give you a call tonight! G

Double R 04-09-2008 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manicmechnic
Quote:

Originally Posted by belpre122
We also received the "gift" of GPS tracking at about the same time, so I am going to assume this might all be related. The "city driving", "metro" methods were so far in the past for me that I am just trying to make sure that I am logging correctly if I use these methods. At this point I have been using traditional logging............................and may stick with it LOL Thanks again.

What GPS unit? If it logs and you log I believe that is illeagle. I drove with a XATA I was told do not log in a book use the XATA. I'll look it up but if somebody finds for sure that would be great.

If your company is using the XATA to log, DONOT USE PAPER! That is considered having two logbooks. That is what we were told. We have XATA units in our trucks(they suck, very buggy) but are still using paper because at this time we are still working the bugs out of the system. We use them right now to enter our stop information at each stop.

As for multi-stop in a metro area, here is an example of how I do it. I run Columbus,OH once a week with nine stops:
Hit first stop and drop to line four. Finish stop and go back to line 3, next stop hit line four and so on. In the remarks I only write Columbs one time. This way I account for all my driving time between stops. If I logged Columbus all on line four and did account for driving, this would throw a speed violation when my company aduits my logs. Is it right? Never had a problem yet and I have been doing multi-stop food deliveries for five years and never got questioned by the DOT at a inspection.