Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers
You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Very confusing! (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/33151-very-confusing.html)

SteveInDixon 03-26-2008 09:31 PM

Very confusing!

This September I hope to start training for my CDL on the weekends at Western Truck Driving School in West Sacramento. I plan to go on the weekends because that way I can keep my job during the week and just in case I don't make the grade, I still have my job to fall back on. I think I'm the perfect candidate to make it as a Professional Truck Driver as my kids are all grown and doing quite well. I have no wives. I am renting a room from an elderly widowed woman right now. I hope to be pretty much debt free when I enter the world of Professional Truck Driving. And I love to drive and be alone.

Now, this is the confusing part. I know during my first year as a truck driver I'm not going to be making much money. That's a given. I'm new. I have to learn the business. And I figured it's going to take 12 to 18 months to get a fairly good grip on trucking. So, would it be bad to go work for companies like Swift or Werner or England just for that first year to learn the "do's and don'ts" of trucking? I've read dozens of horror stories about these companies. But, would they be good to get my feet wet at? Remember, this first year is not about making money, it's about learning how to become a Professional Truck Driver.

Thanks everyone! Steve

RottsATruckin 03-26-2008 09:43 PM

Re: Very confusing!

Originally Posted by SteveInDixon:
it's about learning how to become a Professional Truck Driver.

Then why not work for a company that treats you like one?

SteveInDixon 03-26-2008 09:49 PM

That's a good response! But, I don't think there are many companies like you mentioned that would take a newbie like me! Remember, I am as green as they come!

RottsATruckin 03-26-2008 09:53 PM

There are at least a half dozen good companies that would hire you providing you have a "clean record" (or at least mostly clean)
Some even offer training!

SteveInDixon 03-26-2008 09:56 PM

Really? Damn, I guess I have more researching to do! Hey, thank you VERY MUCH for your responses! Steve

Fozzy 03-26-2008 10:03 PM

Heck! You live in the tomato valley.. go haul ag stuff and then take off the rest of the year. There are many places in Dixon and the towns down 99 that beg for drivers every spring. I went to the same school... in 1983! LOL

SteveInDixon 03-26-2008 10:08 PM

That is a very good idea! All I'd have to pay for then would be for my permit. They take care of getting me my CDL. Very good idea!

RunNGun 03-27-2008 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by :
I have no wives.

I'm sorry, but that got me laughing pretty good. I didn't know there were any Mormons in CA :lol:

BanditsCousin 03-27-2008 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by RunNGun:

Originally Posted by :
I have no wives.

I'm sorry, but that got me laughing pretty good. I didn't know there were any Mormons in CA :lol:

x2 :lol:

heavyhaulerss 03-27-2008 03:30 PM

[quote]SteveInDixon

do you know how you want ot run? gone all week? 2 weeks ? van? reefer? flatbed ? this will make a difference on where you should look to hire on. i prefer flat, cause it pays me more, & 95 % of the places i load/unload are on the outskirts of town. i dont usually have to back in tight spots. good luck.