Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Might be my new local gig, what do think (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/32865-might-my-new-local-gig-what-do-think.html)

sbatson 03-12-2008 12:37 AM

Might be my new local gig, what do think

I work m-f, Saturday if I want OT running all over Texas,and to New Mexico, Ok,La, and to Ohio ever so often and paid $150 a day after 90 $170 a day and I find out everything 2-morrow but I dont know if I'm out all week or just ever so often. What do you think? :?:

WOLF RIVER 03-12-2008 12:43 AM

I guess the question is how many hours per day??? Are you working 10 off 14 on or is it less hours in the day??? I just took a job that pays 15.5 per hour plus time and a half after eight. They run 4 12 hour days.. Plus alot of ther perks too. Plus I get paid from the time I start util the time the tractor is parked.

If you are driving for 11 and a total day of 14 hours you are working for 12.14 per hour. If your working less then its better for you

WOLF RIVER 03-12-2008 12:46 AM

I almost forgot - home every day and off Fri, Sat and Sun too.

sbatson 03-12-2008 12:48 AM

Well I dont know the start time yet, will 2-morrow, but she said if you get done at 1 fine if its 6 fine but have to be done by 6 because receivers close at that time and I dont know if I'm out all week or home everyday.

sbatson 03-12-2008 12:49 AM

Its M-F and Sat. if I want Over time, but dont have to.

WOLF RIVER 03-12-2008 01:18 AM

Good luck

Drew10 03-12-2008 02:04 AM

Before you get a good reply on this survey, we will need more info on the job. Just from your initial overview, doesnt sound to local, sounds like you will be out many days. Is this OTR? with sleeper? Daycab and motels? What are the Bennies? Drop and Hook, Live load/unload? etc.
Also clarify:
Quote:

$150 a day after 90 $170 a day
, How can you work after 90 if you can only legally log 70? Just need more clarification.
Also, are you looking to work local verses OTR, What is it you want?

Colts Fan 03-12-2008 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew10
Before you get a good reply on this survey, we will need more info on the job. Just from your initial overview, doesnt sound to local, sounds like you will be out many days. Is this OTR? with sleeper? Daycab and motels? What are the Bennies? Drop and Hook, Live load/unload? etc.
Also clarify:
Quote:

$150 a day after 90 $170 a day
, How can you work after 90 if you can only legally log 70? Just need more clarification.
Also, are you looking to work local verses OTR, What is it you want?

I think what he means is after 90 days his pay bumps up to $170/day. But I agree that more info on the job needs to be given.

sbatson 03-12-2008 01:19 PM

Thats right after 90 days its $170 a day, and I guess OTR,will find out all details today and it is a day cab with hotel and if I go to Ohio it will be a sleeper and I will have a couple of stops a day and they are at Home Depots and Office Max and I do unload but I have a helper and when I go to Ohio I pull doubles to there and pick up one and bring it back. And I dont know if home every day or out all week but will know soon enough, and I look at it thats it better then being all over the place and being going for weeks at a time.

Mackman 03-12-2008 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbatson
Its M-F and Sat. if I want Over time, but dont have to.

If you get a day rate SAT is not OT. Just xtra money

03-12-2008 05:28 PM

170 bucks a day to be otr and fingerprint the loads....where do i sign up?

sbatson 03-12-2008 11:45 PM

Ok here is the deal, $150 a day M-F OTR (Texas, New Mexico, Ok and sometimes to Ohio) $170 after 90 days 6 to 7 stops a day and have to unload with my helper, its a day cab and I stay in hotel every night we deliver to Home depots and personal customers houses and the day length vary, trailers are 48,53,57 and every so often doubles and I'm paid 1099 so no taxes (dont like that idea) and I have to drive a hour to the shop on Monday and back home on Friday. My other deal is to go with Central Refrigerated OTR (Month in traning period and home every 2 weeks). What do you think?

sbatson 03-12-2008 11:47 PM

I guess my other thing is would I make this kind of money OTR for a big company?

Orangetxguy 03-12-2008 11:57 PM

Is this job the one at DART that you were asking questions about ??

sbatson 03-13-2008 12:05 AM

No its with a company called Thompsons Trans out of Austin, Tx and I guess they are a small company that runs fright for Cardinal and all the fright is cabinets that are special ordered.

Mackman 03-13-2008 12:17 AM

Quote:

Ok here is the deal, $150 a day M-F OTR (Texas, New Mexico, Ok and sometimes to Ohio) $170 after 90 days 6 to 7 stops a day and have to unload with my helper, its a day cab and I stay in hotel every night we deliver to Home depots and personal customers houses and the day length vary, trailers are 48,53,57 and every so often doubles and I'm paid 1099 so no taxes (dont like that idea) and I have to drive a hour to the shop on Monday and back home on Friday. My other deal is to go with Central Refrigerated OTR (Month in traning period and home every 2 weeks). What do you think?

RUN from that deal.

Trapper 03-13-2008 12:28 AM

Wolf River who did you wind up going with? You're in a good area of the state for more local job opportunities.

sbatson 03-13-2008 01:12 AM

Hey Mackman why do you say run from that deal?

Mackman 03-13-2008 01:18 AM

the 1099 deal. thats is bad news right from the start.

Mackman 03-13-2008 01:18 AM

why cant they put you on a payroll like everybody esle uses???

sbatson 03-13-2008 01:25 AM

I dont know but that kind of worried me too. So you say OTR with Central instead? I only have 7 months experience local so.

Mackman 03-13-2008 01:28 AM

Quote:

I dont know but that kind of worried me too. So you say OTR with Central instead? I only have 7 months experience local so.

Well i really dont know jack shi*t about OTR i would try to find another local gig. But i would never work as a company driver and get 1099.

sbatson 03-13-2008 01:30 AM

Well I just moved to Texas from Florida and seems like all the local stuff here wants a year or more experience.And Florida has no jobs and Texas alot more but want that year or more.

Orangetxguy 03-13-2008 01:43 AM

Have you called Dart back? Or did you just lose interest in that? Have you checked with Design Transportation there in Dallas??http://www.designtransport.net/

Your in the Austin area...Have you checked with Bancroft Transport?http://www.bancroftandsons.com/

Don't let the lack of experience deter you, if everything else in your background is clean. Keep talking to good companies, and they will hire you..YOU have to convince them that you can do the job and WANT their job.

sbatson 03-13-2008 01:46 AM

No I'm around the dallas area.

Colts Fan 03-13-2008 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackman
Quote:

RUN from that deal.

Yeah, sounds like a hose job. It's probably an outlaw outfit. I don't like the 1099 or the flate per diem type of pay.

sbatson 03-13-2008 11:27 PM

So I guess my better route would be to go with Central?

sbatson 03-13-2008 11:32 PM

See I told myself that I would never work for cash again and never work for a mom and pop either and I told her that I worked now and she has called me non stop today and it makes me think if she is like this now wonder whats going to happen when I start and the thing of salary and only god knows how many hours I will work moving all the crap out of the trailer

03-14-2008 03:48 PM

1099 is not bad if you are smart about it.

ibamars 03-15-2008 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedfxg
170 bucks a day to be otr and fingerprint the loads....where do i sign up?

Your kidding right???

lurchgs 03-15-2008 07:57 AM

I dunno - I'd worry about a 1099. In my old life, a 1099 was issued for contractors - not employees. It's a lot easier to yutz with a contractor, if you are so inclined.

It also puts the tax onus on you, instead of in payroll. Sure, you can do it - or pay an accountant to - but why?

the whole thing just feels... oily

sbatson 03-15-2008 08:51 PM

Ya I said the heck with it for the reasons I stated in the over posts and she called me like 10 times a day, so I decided to go with Central Refrigerated on the 31st, so we will see how that goes.

derelict77 03-15-2008 09:29 PM

Quote:

Ya I said the heck with it for the reasons I stated in the over posts and she called me like 10 times a day, so I decided to go with Central Refrigerated on the 31st, so we will see how that goes.

Probably a wise decision. Then after you gain your year you can apply at some of those local gigs you were taling about.

sbatson 03-15-2008 11:23 PM

See I have & months local and I probably will do a year or so and within that year get triples/doubles, Tanker, Hazmat, and go find a local gig doing gas it seems to pay more, weel thats the plan anyways.