Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Points on a DL and CDL (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/32834-points-dl-cdl.html)

RunNGun 03-09-2008 08:51 PM

Points on a DL and CDL

I am not certain how it operates state to state, but I am sure there is some sort of a guideline that's similar all over. Here in Colorado, with an R class license, you get 12 points as an adult for infractions. Do you get more, less, or the same figuratively as a CDL holder?

The reason I ask, I have a friend that has a CDL, been driving for four years, and he has some infractions. He surely isn't a great driver lol. Recently 12/07 he was popped doing 63 in a 35 in the company truck. Today, he got popped doing 80 in a 55, in his personal vehicle. Sad to say it, I almost hope he loses his CDL for this, so he has to find a new career.. he sure doesn't belong as a trucker. Not to mention the six DAC reports he has on him.. Any insight to this question, or if you could let me know just how close he might be to driving his chevrolegs only would be great.

Fredog 03-09-2008 09:05 PM

Re: Points on a DL and CDL

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunNGun
I am not certain how it operates state to state, but I am sure there is some sort of a guideline that's similar all over. Here in Colorado, with an R class license, you get 12 points as an adult for infractions. Do you get more, less, or the same figuratively as a CDL holder?

The reason I ask, I have a friend that has a CDL, been driving for four years, and he has some infractions. He surely isn't a great driver lol. Recently 12/07 he was popped doing 63 in a 35 in the company truck. Today, he got popped doing 80 in a 55, in his personal vehicle. Sad to say it, I almost hope he loses his CDL for this, so he has to find a new career.. he sure doesn't belong as a trucker. Not to mention the six DAC reports he has on him.. Any insight to this question, or if you could let me know just how close he might be to driving his chevrolegs only would be great.

the cdl point system goes by the state the cdl is registered in, so if your state allows 12 points, that is what he is allowed, the big difference is that cdl holders are not allowed to go to school to remove points.. only a judge can remove them.

Rokk 03-09-2008 09:13 PM

Re: Points on a DL and CDL

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunNGun

Looking at those infractions alone 80/55 and 63/35 he stands a very good chance of losing his cdl right there. points and system aside, he obviously has no respect for his cdl much less any other person on the road. in my opinon (which we all know doesnt matter) he needs to be suspended. with those infractions, no respectable trucking company will look at him anyway.

RunNGun 03-09-2008 10:06 PM

Yeah, I really don't understand it. He doesn't care if he drives after spending 80 bucks at the bar.. like he has no fear of that DUI. Hell, with the company he's at now, he whined about a back injury which wasn't that bad. He was out for nearly three months. Once he got back he even demanded a raise, and got a healthy sized one. It really does confuse me, as from what I have seen all the companies were beyond strict with violations and what have you. Are most small sized companies willing to hire drivers that don't seem to care?

Rokk 03-09-2008 11:17 PM

[quote="RunNGun"]Yeah, I really don't understand it. He doesn't care if he drives after spending 80 bucks at the bar.. like he has no fear of that DUI. Hell, with the company he's at now, he whined about a back injury which wasn't that bad. He was out for nearly three months. Once he got back he even demanded a raise, and got a healthy sized one. It really does confuse me, as from what I have seen all the companies were beyond strict with violations and what have you. Are most small sized companies willing to hire drivers that don't seem to care?[/quote]

Only an outlaw company. and they going by the wayside pretty fast. i feel that a driver reflects directly upon a company. if they are condoning your friends behavior, then i would think that behavior ges right up through the ranks of that company.

Uturn2001 03-10-2008 02:53 AM

Regardless of the points issued by any given state there are certain infractions that if you are convicted of can result in the suspension of your CDL for anywhere from a month to lifetime.

For CDL holders there are no longer any distinctions for most violations between a private and commercial vehicle.

You can follow the link below to see what constitues a serious and major violation and what the suspension penalties are.

Major and Serious Traffic Violations Charts

Fredog 03-22-2008 03:17 PM

yesterday, I was going south bound on I-75 in the middle lane, there was an idiot in a Schneider truck at the front of the line going 60 in a 70 mph zone and he wasnt moving for anybody, anyway. a car in th eleft lane decide he wanted to exit and came in the middle lane and then couldnt get in the right lane so he slammed on his brakes to wait to get over, there as no one on my left, so instead of stopping and risk causing a wreck, I went over there, then I figured as long as I'm here, might as well pass super schneider, that's when I saw the DOT man behind me. I started working over and stopped at the next off ramp. got out and met him with all my papers in hand, He asked if I knew why he stopped me and I said yes ans explained what happened and I think he must have seen it because he believed me right away. anyway, he said I falsified my log because it said I was in the sleeper the whole time I was in Memphis including the time I was being loaded, I told him when I got there, I was 4 hours early and the guy spotted me and said, if you want to go to bed, you are the only load tonight, so just stay here and when you wake up , the guard will have your paperwork. the dot man didnt believe me and he said. I'm going to give you a chance to tell me the truth, I said I DID tell you the truth, he said, so if I call them, they will tell me what you did? I said, they should tell you that if they even remember, so he went to his car and was there for a long time, then he came back and said, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt on the log book and giving you a warning on being in the left lane.
Now, from his attitude, I was SURE I was getting a ticket but I kept cool and polite and didnt let him frustrate me into telling him my log book was wrong although he tried real hard.
I couldnt believe it when he said I was getting a warning!! not even a written warning, just a note on the walkaround inspection he did..
bottom line.. stay cool, stay polite, stay proffessional. and stay out of the left lane