Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers
You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Advice needed.Looking to get a CDL (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/32585-advice-needed-looking-get-cdl.html)

columbusoh 02-24-2008 04:38 AM

Advice needed.Looking to get a CDL

Ok here's the story I'm 25 looking to get into trucking.I haven't had a real job for about 6 years.I had a girlfriend that was very good to me,so I really didn't have to work.Well big mistake,I have no work history for those 6 years.Now we are seperated,and I have no skill's or trade's.I want to get a cdl.Reason's are I love to drive if I go on a road trip I'm the happyist when we are driving too and from are destonation.So I thought trucking was a ideal career.My only isuue is,if I attend a school will I even have a chance of getting a job with my work history?I have never been in jail and only have one speeding ticket in 2003 for going 58 in a 55 in a area known for being a speed trap.I'm currently looking for a job but with that gap in my history and no skills it's becoming very hard.Would I even have a chance if I got though a cdl training school?I know they have recruiter's and such but I'll be the first to admit that haveing my girlfriend support me for 6 years is hard to say and still have pride :oops: .

Bunny 02-24-2008 04:47 AM

Not enough pride to be a man and get a job in six years though .... :roll:

columbusoh 02-24-2008 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bunny:
Not enough pride to be a man and get a job in six years though .... :roll:

I said a real job.Aka on the books.

hitman 02-24-2008 12:05 PM

I doubt if any company will hire you without any type of work history, especially at 25 years old. If there are, you probably don't want to drive for them anyway. How are you even going to afford trucking school without a job? You're not going to get a loan, if you don't have the $3k to $6k to cover it. You better just keep looking for another line of work, and establish a work history before you consider truck driving.

stormothecentury 02-24-2008 12:16 PM

Or try and go to college, man. Four years of college (or maybe even two years of a trade school) would show employers at the other end that you've changed your view of things, for sure.

Evinrude 02-24-2008 12:17 PM

Btw whats your X doing now? I would love to quit my job and let her take care of me.

02-24-2008 12:44 PM

Your too young to have a solid work history like most people your age. There are way too many Dr. Phils on here.

Give a recruiter a call and I'm sure every one will want you to sign on.

Good luck.

GMAN 02-24-2008 02:07 PM

You will need to account for your time during the past 10 years. Whether it is work or not, the time will need to be accounted for in some way. I agree with Steve, you need to call some recruiters, tell them your story and see if they can advise you.

Skywalker 02-24-2008 03:04 PM

Have you considered being a "gigolo"? :shock: 8)

IF what you say is accurate, I'd say you have two choices....suck up to her and get back in her good graces, or get on the phone and talk to some recruiters. Be honest with them. See what happens. Don't BS them, and on the other hand...don't try to come across as a "valiant swordsman"... There's way too many of them already in the industry. :? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Too many Dr. Phil's...tooooooo!!

Actually, if you have a good brain....what about college?

Orangetxguy 02-24-2008 03:28 PM

:D :D :D Hey...I like Evin's idea !!! I could really enjoy having a sweety that would pay all my bills, while I "sorta" work!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: