Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   NEED ADVICE (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/32326-need-advice.html)

02-12-2008 05:55 PM

I hear you on that one I did that with my old Honda Prelude a few times freaked my dates out also.

dle 02-12-2008 07:11 PM

I started when I was 49, as long as you can pass the physicals and the U/A don't think that will be a problem.

I knew how to drive a stick before I got in the truck, and I feel like it actually hurt me in the truck (although it did help when I drove the car).

Crazy ....

Whatever, you think you know about this industry will not be what you find out once you get in. Ask lots of questions, but keep in mind the answers you get will based on their own experiences, prejudices and wants. There is also a search function up at the top in case you haven't seen it yet.

Oh, BTW, don't know if you know this but all caps is considered you shouting on forums (and E-mails).

EviLynn 02-13-2008 02:42 AM

I am 30 and just started a school here in St Louis. Passed my permit tests and all that.

I am in the second week and I have never driven a manual before either. It's all new to me.

They said I am the best kind of person to train, no bad habits. I am still not so sure though. :wink:

Give it a shot, you can ALWAYS quit.

I feel like it a lot and I am only in school.

Then again, the school doesn't have working bathrooms we can use and they don't give us a proper, heated area to warm up in.

We also have a lot of days where we stand around and do nothing because they are poor planners. I am not so sure about this school.

ogre999 02-13-2008 09:54 AM

Re: NEED ADVICE

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCAT8324
HELLO ALL,

IM 40 YEARS OLD AND LOOKING TO CHANGE MY CAREER TO DRIVING A TRUCK. THE ONLY HITCH IS THAT I'VE NEVER DRIVEN STICK IN ANY TYPE OF VEHICLE. I'M NOT WORRIED ABOUT THE KNOWLEDGE PART OF THE CDL TEST BUT I WONDER WHAT I MAY BE UP AGAINST ON THE ROAD TEST. I KNOW THAT THE DRIVING SCHOOLS WILL TEACH YOU FROM SCRATCH AND ALL BUT BEING COMPLETELY NEW TO THE THOUGHT, I AM STILL A LITTLE HESITANT. I AM LOOKING FOR ADVICE FROM THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE VETERANS IN THE BIZ. LIKE WHAT WAS YOUR SITUATION WHEN YOU STARTED? AM I CRAZY TO START THIS AT 40? ANY FEEDBACK AT ALL IS MUCH APPRECIATED.
THANK YOU,
TCAT8324

Hey in the same boat ...I was a late commer in the game of life my old man was in his 60 and driving Cadillacs when I started driving ...enlisted and the military had moved to auto shift vehicals for my MOS ...Bradleys and Humvees ...I've moved a couple "work trucks " over the years ...I dont know that I would call it "driving" ...so I know how you feel

Its funny that the size of the rig doesnt intimidate me at all at this point ...although I do get some of the physics involved and understand that those laws command great respect ...or youll kill folks ...but the shifting thing has caused me pause ... for what its worth ...one newb to another ...

I figure theese Ladies and Gentleman training us will be there for a reason ...and just take it all in for a time ...and like basic all over again ...if I just put myself in their capable hands ...shut my personality off for a bit ( At 40 ..I'm sure it could use a rest for a bit anyway ) and just be a school kid again ...accept up front that I will look a fool ...at least once ...cause really if you dont ?...you aint learnin ...and make the corrections ...laugh the rest off and realize I am probably not the best they have ever seen ...true ...but odds are I will not be the worst either ....

Course I'm starting to take rejection like a little girll ...but really its more adventure like ..being a kid again ...so Ill roll with that keep my mouth shut ...and if I'm not careful ...I'll leanr something :D

TCAT8324 02-16-2008 05:13 AM

I appologize for shouting, boy are you guys sensitive.lol

I'm new to this forum/chat stuff so bare with me. I appreciate all the feedback more than you guys will ever know. I've got new questions popping out of my head everytime I think about this. Im somewhat nerveous about the scope of driving combos but the more I think about it the more ready I feel. I know this is the right move for me.

My dilema of the day is what are the better companies to apply to? Who pays for training? I'm moving to nj and would like to keep it as close to home as possible. I saw the Stevens Transport site and that looks to be pretty solid as far as paid training and job security. However i made the mistake of reading a blog about them and think I stumbled into a sounding board for disgruntled employees.lol I was somewhat interested in Bradway, its close to home and sounds solid. Do any of you know anything about them? my last thought is that when I start i'd like to drive either local dedicated or regional and I figure these are big factors regarding what companies to apply to. I'm not looking to make a fortune, I just want to be comfortable, enjoy driving and be home with the misses as much as possible.

Once again, my sincere thanks to all.
Be safe, TCAT

GTR SILVER 02-16-2008 05:30 AM

""""I saw the Stevens Transport site and that looks to be pretty solid as far as paid training and job security. However i made the mistake of reading a blog about them and think I stumbled into a sounding board for disgruntled employees.lol """"

as mentioned before.....use the search function...............stevens has some rep.........not good.
i'm in nj............. try to hook up with superior carriers (tanker)..

they will take newbies and will train you right.....they have terminals in north & south jersey (rahway & bridgeport )

just make sure you go to a school with a 160 hour course

BOL 2 ya....!!!! :wink: 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

GTR SILVER 02-16-2008 05:34 AM

ps...pay for your own school............you will do much better......

if your going to nj let me know...i'll hook you up with a great school....

johnny99 02-16-2008 04:10 PM

Stay away from Stevens.

ogre999 02-18-2008 02:27 AM

Re: I appologize for shouting, boy are you guys sensitive.lo

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCAT8324
I'm new to this forum/chat stuff so bare with me. I appreciate all the feedback more than you guys will ever know. I've got new questions popping out of my head everytime I think about this. Im somewhat nerveous about the scope of driving combos but the more I think about it the more ready I feel. I know this is the right move for me.

My dilema of the day is what are the better companies to apply to? Who pays for training? I'm moving to nj and would like to keep it as close to home as possible. I saw the Stevens Transport site and that looks to be pretty solid as far as paid training and job security. However i made the mistake of reading a blog about them and think I stumbled into a sounding board for disgruntled employees.lol I was somewhat interested in Bradway, its close to home and sounds solid. Do any of you know anything about them? my last thought is that when I start i'd like to drive either local dedicated or regional and I figure these are big factors regarding what companies to apply to. I'm not looking to make a fortune, I just want to be comfortable, enjoy driving and be home with the misses as much as possible.

Once again, my sincere thanks to all.
Be safe, TCAT

Yea ...look Im only new too ...so take this with a grain of Salt ...but they (Stevens Transport out of Dallas ) told me over the phone ( victoria ) they nedded me to hang on for a "backgrond check" ...they passed me and handed me off to "Amy" a recruiter ... I was CLEARED and I WAS going to go ...cause bills are stacking up quick ...but
I was applying for "shnieder and Prime " at the same time ...they shot me down QUICK ...now come to find ot I have an Old felony "charge" in Fla ...the case was dropped ...thus I am NOT a Felon BUT ...found out from a law enforcement buddy ...the charge appears but no "Disposition" showed ... so I started looking around and found out that more than a few folks involved with "stevens Transport " have been left dry and are makin noise about it ...because apperantly they dont run the "big expensive checks " untill you get your CDLS with them ...and coincidently sign the Contract ...the one where youi pay 5k or drive for a year ... SO ...I understand those checks cost money and i understand they may just be Coverin their money and all ...however

Basicly not being scumm ..I might have gone there ...done my best ...hell may have done well ...and still been standing in the office as they informed me I couldnt drive for that year to pay my 5,000 ... so when they coldnt "garuentee" me a job ( not that I actually thought they could ) I respectfully and politely declined ...and warned them that they seem to have a reputation ...

Now was I lied to? ...NO ...lets be straight here ... Is anything devious going on? ...well i dont know ...it may be they ran a cursory check on me ...then proceeded ... or Maybe they pt me on hold and filed their nails ...who knows ....but what I do know ...is I listed all the "paper" charges tickets everything ... on me they might find on the app ...yess I I can be a brutal Ass if pressed but am basicly a fair and honest lad ...

So my question is DID THEY disreguard my charges ...knowing that if they had me sign the contract ...they wold more than likely NOT be hireing me ....rumor is that is the case? ...MY experiance would seem to back that up ...but I cannot say for sure ...

I just knew that in the shape I am already in ...getting stranded 800+ miles form home and another 5,000 in debt when I hauled my @ss far from home with a wife and kids counting on me? ...

well that would have been more than enough provocation to incure a real " felony " charge ...so I backed out of the deal properly before any such foolishness could occure ..

BeSides ..I love Texas and would hate to be unwelcome there ...

NOW take it with salt lad ...you are diffrent and the same circmstance may not apply ...all I can do is repeat what a lot of these folks on here keep sayin ... DO YOUR HOMEWORK ...and ask ALOT of questions and if you DO GO ...please lemme know how it works out for you ... It may just be circmstance and not anyoes fault but my own ... Id like to hear thats the case really ...wold renew my faith so to speak

SHawn(Ogre)

GMAN 02-18-2008 03:30 AM

It might be to your advantage to get in touch with the court in Florida and see if you can get the felony thing cleared up. It could save you a lot of grief. You can go to any sheriff of police office and they can pull a criminal background check on you for a small charge. At least you would know for sure.