Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Healthy Meals OTR Let Me Have YOur Best (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/32140-healthy-meals-otr-let-me-have-your-best.html)

Crunchyknees 02-01-2008 01:12 AM

Healthy Meals OTR Let Me Have YOur Best

HI

For those truckers that are interested in putting in an effort on the road to eat well, I would like to see a sample menu of what u guys eat. This is your chance to show newbies like me that u know that there is something better to eat than truckstop slosh.

scythe08 02-01-2008 01:21 AM

One thing I used to do when I was OTR, was that I would get those slimfast or wal-mart eqivalent diet drinks and have one for breakfast and lunch or even as a snack. I would also limit myself to one sit dinner a week and I could eat what-ever I wanted to on that day. I also bought alot of water and got those little flavor packets for bottled water so I wouldn't become bored with my water.

For Dinner I used to get alot of those Dinty moore dinners. They're in the soup[ aisle I beleive and they're white oval shaped containers and they have all sorts of entree's and everyone one them is good and can be eaten hot or cold. I also love hotdogs but they have alot of fat and all that other bad stuff, but dammit they taste good.

That's all I can think of. Hope it helps

Rockee 02-01-2008 01:47 AM

Well the wife used to do all the cooking unless we was bbq'ing at the back of the truck. Meatballs of all sorts, lots of chicken dishes, spaghetti, rice dishes and canned veggies, instant mashed potatoes or Au Graton (sp) which comes in small packages and all sorts of flavors. Steaks and chops (and an occasional hot dog) were mostly done on the bbq.
A little propane stove and a couple pots and pans is all you need, plus a good cooler and containers for left overs.

headborg 02-01-2008 01:49 AM

Stay away from the truckstop restraunt, if you do set foot inside-- Salad Bar & subway

Otherwise;

Olive Garden & Nice Steak Houses Same price, better food.

Copperhead 02-01-2008 02:00 AM

My wife and I fix up meals at home. Then we freeze them. I carry them in my refrig in the truck and heat them up either with microwave or with a 12v heater box.

I may treat myself to a "junk food" treat once a week. You can sure save a lot by preparing meals at home for the truck and eat one heck of a lot better than at a truck stop. It is sometime good to go in and get a breakfast or small meal and socialize with others, but I usually run on to the customer, camp there, eat a good meal in the truck, and start up the laptop for my entertainment.

I usually put the meals I fix up in heavy duty freezer bags or vacuum seal them with one of the vacuum units you can get at walmart. The vacuum bags are very heavy duty and will take the punishment of a microwave quite well.

Fresh fruits are a little more problematic. They tend to go bad quickly in a truck. I will usually get the canned "lite" fruits (low sugar) variety.

Also.. You might want to consider good supliments. I have been using collodial mineral suppliments for quite a few years. Some of the best I have used and at the best prices are from:

http://www.vivichealthproducts.com/

Easy to keep in the cooler and just take out once or twice a day and take a swig. Can't you tell how healthy I am from my picture? :lol:

Crunchyknees 02-01-2008 03:00 AM

Come on Fellas!!

I didnt expect cordon Bleu type fare from you guys. But, is that the best u guys can come up with is Slimfast diet drinks and instant mash potatoes?? I know some of u guys are fixin some gourmet dishes now lets hear some!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I were on the road and could get a rotisserie goin id be in heaven. U could roast a chicken while driving. Maybe put a potato on the skewer too. Mmmmmmmmmmm................................

scythe08 02-01-2008 03:59 AM

sorry my repy wasn't good enough, go to hell

Crunchyknees 02-01-2008 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scythe08
sorry my repy wasn't good enough, go to hell

Come on scythe dont be so sensitive. Better lay off them colas. Drink fresh juice for a change.

Rockee 02-01-2008 07:57 AM

Instant mashed potatoes is a gourmet meal for me..........

DragginMan 02-02-2008 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crunchyknees
Come on Fellas!!

If I were on the road and could get a rotisserie goin id be in heaven. U could roast a chicken while driving. Maybe put a potato on the skewer too. Mmmmmmmmmmm................................

You want rotisserie go to Wal-Mart, get you a WHOLE yard bird for @$5, a little plastic cup thingy of cole slaw or tater salad for $1.50, a drink and y'er set!!