Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   central refrigerated (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/31998-central-refrigerated.html)

Roush97 01-24-2008 08:00 AM

central refrigerated

Hi guys. With my situation being as it is I can not get my CDL on my own since I can not get the money for it. I ran across central refrigerated in a job search when I was looking for truck driving companies. They offer a school within 45 minutes of my house which they pay for up front and then you pay back.

I have heard horror stories about a lot of companies that offer this kind of training like swift and others but I looking at this company it doesn't seem that bad.

There student pay starts at $425 a week then on the 3rd week it goes to $500. When you start solo they start you out at .29 a mile which I guess isn't to bad with the .08 pier diem pay and they also have incentive and quartly safety bonuses.

Now this all looks good on paper like most companies do but I was looking for advice from some people that have had experience or heard about this company. With my not being able to afford school on my own this looks like a good way to get my CDL.

edit: also on average how many miles do you get a week? I see if you run 10,500 you get your .1cpm incentive but is this realistic to hit? Also on average how many nights home do you get? I'm not really concerned about the nights home since I'd rather put in miles and get more money but it is nice to know you'll be home more then 1 time a month.

larryh31 01-24-2008 11:15 AM

Re: central refrigerated

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roush97
I see if you run 10,500 you get your .1cpm incentive but is this realistic to hit? Also on average how many nights home do you get? I'm not really concerned about the nights home since I'd rather put in miles and get more money but it is nice to know you'll be home more then 1 time a month.

10,500 miles per month pulling a reefer is possible, but I wouldn’t plan on hitting that number every month. Recruiters like to show you calculations on how your are going to make tons of money when you start out. But if the money and perks are so good, how come they aren’t driving a truck?

The numbers that you often will see in ads and on websites are based on “perfect world” scenarios. In the real world of trucking you will face many delays that will reduce your ability to run miles like slow loading and unloading at shippers and receivers, weather delays, traffic delays, mechanical breakdowns, having to hunt for an empty trailer, Dot Inspections, etc.

Most OTR companies will try to get you home at least twice a month. Your chances of getting home will increase if you live near a major interstate. If the company you chose has a terminal or at least a drop yard near your home, that is a good sign that they frequently have freight coming in or out of your area.

Best of Luck to you in whatever you decide to do. And keep reading and asking questions so that you can make an informed decision.

Mr C 01-24-2008 11:56 AM

Central Questions

As for the school & paid for by Central. The school is ok and gets you the basics to get your CDL but driving and only driving behind the wheel will get you the experience needed for this profession. Get with a Central recruiter as nothing is free and you will have to do some time at Central to pay back. As all companies that do the school training require you to do. Don't do the pay back time then you will have to pay for the school.

When you go out with your trainer you will have to drive a certain amount of miles to qualify for employment with Central. I belive that is around 10,500 miles. Do it and get that Experience. Also pay attention to the class on the DOT logs a BIG must. You see so many on this site who keep asking how to fill out the logs. Listen in class, ask questions and practice logs before you go out with your trainer. And yes there are good and bad trainers. Luck of the draw. But if you get a good one, work and listen with your trainer and when you come back to Central after your training run you will be ready to take your tests for empolyment with Central.
$0.29 to start is correct, low to some, but as a newbie you need to start at the bottom and get the experience. Those drivers who make the high wages did not start out at that wage they started also at a lower wage and had to work up the ladder,

Miles....Thats up to you and your fleet manager. To earn a living at being an OTR you only make money when the wheels are moving. So prove your self to the Company and fleet manager that your there to work you will get the miles. But... also don't let them push you beyong DOT limits. Experience and talking with the other OTR's will be the tools you need to get educated in this profession. And don't believe everything you hear. There is alot of BS as with any profession.

Days off. If you read the Central site Central is like most companies 1 day off for six out. So you control you days off. Stay out only 2 weeks, 2 days off. Again if this is your profession you only make money when wheels are rolling and days off by staying out on the road for more then 2 weeks at a time. Yes, thats away from home quit a bit but that is the life of an OTR. If you go for this profession then you have to accept. Talk to other Compant Driver OTR's as I said before. You will pick up a wealth of information on many question's you may have.

My son drives for Central coming up on 3 years, He has a good fleetmanager. I keep his books and for the 3 years he averages 2900+ miles every week. ta. He likes Central, yes he has his gripes as all drivers do, but again he has a good fleetmanger and they work together and he gets the miles he wants. The most important #1 is communicate with your fleetmanger and build a good relationship and #2 is keep your logs up and follow the DOT rules.

Central is a reefer company and has it's goods and bad's as all companies do. The bttom line a reefer companiy like Central gets the loads all 12 months. Some may be short hauls, they have to go, but there are many good long hauls also. Work with your fleetmanger and get the loads. Be on the road not sitting in the truck stops and make your money.

I'm off my band wagon, good luck.

Mr C

TomB985 01-24-2008 12:40 PM

Great post...

Everyone seems to avoid these deals where the company pays for school like the plague, and sometimes it's for good reason.

However, for your situation, this is about the best it gets. You NEED someone to pay for your school, and you cannot get started in this business without going to a decent driving school, which costs quite a bit.

Every one of the companies I've ever seen that trains new drivers requires them to stay on with them for some time. I'd recommend doing your homework, finding a good, solid company, and going for it. If you happen to get stuck with an awful company, stick with it for your year, and find a better company. Or, if you find a good company to start with, maybe stay awhile longer...

BTW...if you live in any of their hiring areas, I HIGHLY recommend Roehl......

MtFoxx 01-24-2008 04:24 PM

GREAT post Mr. C

I start training on the 4th of Feb. 08 - I'm going to try and log a diary so the rest of the newbies can get a taste.

As I understand it, the 2 1/2 weeks of initial training is without pay. I don't have a problem with this but some may.

My research; through CDL friends and Internet buzz, says this is a decent Co. I'm also told that there is an 8 month agreement to stay.

Good luck to all... And thank U Mr. C and Son.

Roush97 01-24-2008 06:42 PM

Re: Central Questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr C
As for the school & paid for by Central. The school is ok and gets you the basics to get your CDL but driving and only driving behind the wheel will get you the experience needed for this profession. Get with a Central recruiter as nothing is free and you will have to do some time at Central to pay back. As all companies that do the school training require you to do. Don't do the pay back time then you will have to pay for the school.

When you go out with your trainer you will have to drive a certain amount of miles to qualify for employment with Central. I belive that is around 10,500 miles. Do it and get that Experience. Also pay attention to the class on the DOT logs a BIG must. You see so many on this site who keep asking how to fill out the logs. Listen in class, ask questions and practice logs before you go out with your trainer. And yes there are good and bad trainers. Luck of the draw. But if you get a good one, work and listen with your trainer and when you come back to Central after your training run you will be ready to take your tests for empolyment with Central.
$0.29 to start is correct, low to some, but as a newbie you need to start at the bottom and get the experience. Those drivers who make the high wages did not start out at that wage they started also at a lower wage and had to work up the ladder,

Miles....Thats up to you and your fleet manager. To earn a living at being an OTR you only make money when the wheels are moving. So prove your self to the Company and fleet manager that your there to work you will get the miles. But... also don't let them push you beyong DOT limits. Experience and talking with the other OTR's will be the tools you need to get educated in this profession. And don't believe everything you hear. There is alot of BS as with any profession.

Days off. If you read the Central site Central is like most companies 1 day off for six out. So you control you days off. Stay out only 2 weeks, 2 days off. Again if this is your profession you only make money when wheels are rolling and days off by staying out on the road for more then 2 weeks at a time. Yes, thats away from home quit a bit but that is the life of an OTR. If you go for this profession then you have to accept. Talk to other Compant Driver OTR's as I said before. You will pick up a wealth of information on many question's you may have.

My son drives for Central coming up on 3 years, He has a good fleetmanager. I keep his books and for the 3 years he averages 2900+ miles every week. ta. He likes Central, yes he has his gripes as all drivers do, but again he has a good fleetmanger and they work together and he gets the miles he wants. The most important #1 is communicate with your fleetmanger and build a good relationship and #2 is keep your logs up and follow the DOT rules.

Central is a reefer company and has it's goods and bad's as all companies do. The bttom line a reefer companiy like Central gets the loads all 12 months. Some may be short hauls, they have to go, but there are many good long hauls also. Work with your fleetmanger and get the loads. Be on the road not sitting in the truck stops and make your money.

I'm off my band wagon, good luck.

Mr C

great post thank you for the information.

Holeshot 01-24-2008 08:17 PM

Mr. C:

Which terminal is your son based out of?

Quote:

Mr C 01-25-2008 03:16 AM

Which terminal

My son runs out of Central at Irving, TX

01-25-2008 03:19 AM

Quote:

To earn a living at being an OTR you only make money when the wheels are moving.

You got that right. Hell, I had to cover a road driver's bid-run last week. Got stuck in traffic for over 2 hours due to snow storm and big wreck. Called dispatch up and they put me on the clock at $22.00/hr. As an added bonus, got to listen to all the BBR's whining and crying on the CB that they weren't making money. :roll:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtFoxx
As I understand it, the 2 1/2 weeks of initial training is without pay. I don't have a problem with this but some may.

You've got to be $%^@ing kidding me. Damn, I've heard of some cut-rate shenanigans in this biz, but this one takes the cake. Next thing you know, you folks will be paying the CARRIER to be a low (no) paid team-driver...OOPS I mean TRAINEE! Many of you already do as lease-ops. Driver, if you don't have a problem with this arrangement...then you are part of what's wrong with the industry.

Look elsewhere. Look anywhere for that matter. What a frickin' hosejob!

greg3564 01-25-2008 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug

You've got to be $%^@ing kidding me. Damn, I've heard of some cut-rate shenanigans in this biz, but this one takes the cake. Next thing you know, you folks will be paying the CARRIER to be a low (no) paid team-driver...OOPS I mean TRAINEE! Many of you already do as lease-ops. Driver, if you don't have a problem with this arrangement...then you are part of what's wrong with the industry.

Look elsewhere. Look anywhere for that matter. What a frickin' hosejob!

He's talking about the two weeks in CDL school. That's the standard. I don't know of any company that pays you to be in school. That is unless you're working the docks for an LTL or a package driver at UPS and they move you up and pay for school.