Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Am I done? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/31012-am-i-done.html)

Justinxx1981 12-01-2007 02:02 PM

Am I done?

ok last year I went to CDL school, passed got the CDL and I was off. I started at US Xpress....long story short I didn't make it through orientation; I needed a medical release for something very minor. (to be on the safe side once i got home form usx i went to the dr and got a medical release for the next company)

after usx i went to another company, i was in the trainers truck for a day and received word that my dad has been diagnosed with cancer, and only had a few weeks. I went home, and about 2 months later my dad was gone.

A few months after my dad passed, i went to another company (one that will train you if you have a family member that drives for them) I made it through orientation just fine, then on the final day my uncle was fired. So i had no choice but to go home.

So i put driving on the back burner again...at least until now. I applied at Swift and they told me I didn't qualify because of the number of orientations that I've attended in the past year.

I fear this may be something I'm going to hear from every company I apply to from now on. Does anyone know of any that might understand that sometimes things happen? Or should I just give up on my dream and keep on working in this crappy call center?

Any answers are appreciated.

Thanks everyone

Stainless 12-01-2007 02:11 PM

Don't get discouraged, there are lots of companies out there. Try applying at smaller companies, dump outfits, food service or try applying as a driver/docker worker at an LTL company. Don't limit yourself to just the major carriers.

Twilight Flyer 12-01-2007 02:12 PM

Agree with Stainless. Your options with the larger carriers are admittedly limited. But a smaller company, one you can stay with for at least a year, is your best option. Good luck.

PackRatTDI 12-01-2007 02:59 PM

I'm suprised Swift turned you down. I thought the only qualification to work for them was to be classified as human. :lol:

Fredog 12-01-2007 03:18 PM

Re: Am I done?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justinxx1981
ok last year I went to CDL school, passed got the CDL and I was off. I started at US Xpress....long story short I didn't make it through orientation; I needed a medical release for something very minor. (to be on the safe side once i got home form usx i went to the dr and got a medical release for the next company)

after usx i went to another company, i was in the trainers truck for a day and received word that my dad has been diagnosed with cancer, and only had a few weeks. I went home, and about 2 months later my dad was gone.

A few months after my dad passed, i went to another company (one that will train you if you have a family member that drives for them) I made it through orientation just fine, then on the final day my uncle was fired. So i had no choice but to go home.

So i put driving on the back burner again...at least until now. I applied at Swift and they told me I didn't qualify because of the number of orientations that I've attended in the past year.

I fear this may be something I'm going to hear from every company I apply to from now on. Does anyone know of any that might understand that sometimes things happen? Or should I just give up on my dream and keep on working in this crappy call center?

Any answers are appreciated.

Thanks everyone

just curious, if you got a doctors release for the next job, why couldnt you just use it to stay at usx?

Jackrabbit379 12-01-2007 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackRatTDI
I'm suprised Swift turned you down. I thought the only qualification to work for them was to be classified as human. :lol:

And as long as you have 2 legs, and 2 arms. :P

rvrjr7 12-01-2007 07:25 PM

Hehe I thought the only requirements to get hired at swift was being able to count to 3 with minimum help and not in the ground yet body doesnt have to be warm just not in the ground yet :lol: