Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Cobra 18 help (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/30930-cobra-18-help.html)

MADLUX 11-25-2007 07:36 PM

Cobra 18 help

I bought myself a new toy 8) Any way I noticed the power cord has 3 wires instead of 2,( just red and black) like my cobra 19. These are Red, orange and black, the instructions are not very clear on what is what, so if anyone knows, please let me know.

11-25-2007 07:43 PM

My guess is that the orange is a power sense so the unit shuts off when it notices the key has been turned off.

You should be able to use just the red and black. You can wire it up to any 12v power source but if you want the CB to turn off when you shut the key off you need to tap into a power source that shuts off also or just remember to turn the CB off. In any event, the red and black will get you on the air.

Uturn2001 11-25-2007 08:14 PM

On the 18 the orange is a constant power supply wire so the radio so it maintains its memory. It should be connected to a power supply that is always on.

Part Time Dweller 11-25-2007 09:58 PM

What Uturn said.
If your CB posts are always hot, you can hook both the red and orange wires to the red post. If it is key on only, you will have to find an always on power source for the orange, or the radio will loose it's memory every time you turn the truck off.

Triple Digit Bob 11-25-2007 10:04 PM

I have Cobra with Bell Sti radar detector. It was working very good when I was driving for EH Jb hunt. Police still see me and give me ticket. :sad: I hire attorney and she marry me and we are move to Hungary. AH,I love american woman. :D

MADLUX 11-25-2007 10:51 PM

Thanks all, she works great.

Jackrabbit379 11-26-2007 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uturn2001
On the 18 the orange is a constant power supply wire so the radio so it maintains its memory. It should be connected to a power supply that is always on.

Dumb question. Why would a CB radio need memory? Does this radio have a clock, or something?

11-26-2007 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379
Dumb question. Why would a CB radio need memory? Does this radio have a clock, or something?

I was going to say the same thing but I bit my tongue. I still think it's the power sense wire.

All electronic gear now days does not need power. They use NVR. Non Volatile Ram.

kc0iv 11-26-2007 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379

I was going to say the same thing but I bit my tongue. I still think it's the power sense wire.

All electronic gear now days does not need power. They use NVR. Non Volatile Ram.

From the website: http://www.cobra.ca/cobra/en/faq/ind...e-b45879e4c8ab
Quote:

When installing my Cobra CB radio where do I connect the three power wires?

· The black wire needs to be connected to a chassis ground.
· The red wire should be connected to a switched +12 volt source, such as the fuse for the radio.
· The orange wire is for the memory retention of your CB radio, and should be connected to a constant +12 volt source such as the fuse for the brake lights.
With the radio wired as above, the radio will turn off when the ignition is turned off. The orange wire will provide power to the radio so that it remembers the channel. If you are installing your Cobra CB radio in an application where you wish to utilize a cigarette plug to power the unit, connect the black wire to the negative lead (side terminal) on the plug. Connect both the red and orange wires together to the positive lead (center tip) of the plug. Your unit will function properly this way but will not retain the channel memory. When power is applied your radio will come up on channel 9.

kc0iv

Jackrabbit379 11-26-2007 07:46 PM

Oh ok. Still confuses me, but oh well. :lol:

Well, Steve, I am gonna bite my tongue on this one, too. I am not about to ask what Volatile means. :|