Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Parallel Parking a Semi (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/30850-parallel-parking-semi.html)

LexAtlanta 11-21-2007 03:32 PM

Parallel Parking a Semi

I have been practicing for the skills test here in Georgia. I have a handle on straight line backing and off set backing...I am picking up the sight side 90 degree alley dock BUT I cannot get a handle on the parallel parking. Either blind or sight side I can do it about 1 out of every 10 attempts. Do you veteran drivers have any tips and tricks for parallel parking? I would greatly appreciate whatever information you can supply. My skills test is on December 14 in the morning and I want to be really proficient by that time.

According to what I know about Georgia, I have a space the length of the truck plus 15 feet to park the truck and trailer in.

chuck3507 11-21-2007 04:47 PM

treat like an angle back(offset).

Ridge Runner 11-21-2007 05:06 PM

OK here is the "low-down" on this. Set up with the trailer wheels about 5 feet off the foward cone and even with it. If it is to the drivers side turn the wheel ALL the way to the right. Start the turn and go til you see the corner tip of the left sand shoe in your right mirror. STOP!!! Turn your wheel ALL the way to the left. Back up until you see the tip of the right sand shoe in your left miror. STOP!!! Now turn it all the way back to the right and follow the trailer the rest of the way in. It will take a little time but you will learn to guage where you are to do it right. To do the blind side just do it the other way. There are tricks like this to doing the off-set too.

:wink: ,

Ridge

LexAtlanta 11-21-2007 05:43 PM

Thanks for the input. RR, I am going outside to try what you describe. I'll let you know how it turns out. If you could put up the tips and tricks for the off sets that would be great also.

Thanks again.

Ridge Runner 11-21-2007 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexAtlanta
Thanks for the input. RR, I am going outside to try what you describe. I'll let you know how it turns out. If you could put up the tips and tricks for the off sets that would be great also.

Thanks again.

I'll do that tonight. Got to get to bed. Been up all night at work.

farder 11-21-2007 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
OK here is the "low-down" on this. Set up with the trailer wheels about 5 feet off the foward cone and even with it. If it is to the drivers side turn the wheel ALL the way to the right. Start the turn and go til you see the corner tip of the left sand shoe in your right mirror. STOP!!! Turn your wheel ALL the way to the left. Back up until you see the tip of the right sand shoe in your left miror. STOP!!! Now turn it all the way back to the right and follow the trailer the rest of the way in. It will take a little time but you will learn to guage where you are to do it right. To do the blind side just do it the other way. There are tricks like this to doing the off-set too.

:wink: ,

Ridge

I think you have your mirrors backwards?

LexAtlanta 11-21-2007 10:52 PM

It took me a few tries....ok about a dozen.....but I started getting the hang of it. I used the left mirror for the left sand cap and the right mirror for the right one. After a while I started getting the hang of it. I'll keep trying and practicing it.

GTR SILVER 11-22-2007 12:58 AM

what's a sand cap???? :oops: .....(is it the fish eye lens??)
also....... any tips on off set (alley dock)** backing......and down shifting????

** these are what i'm having trouble with....i know.....take it slow and correct.....but i either over shoot or under shoot.

thanks........ 8) 8)

GTR SILVER 11-22-2007 01:02 AM

sorry sand shoe.... :oops: mud flap?

farder 11-22-2007 01:27 AM

Why would mud flaps ever change positions when you look in the mirror?