Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Question for the OTR drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/30255-question-otr-drivers.html)

bamalu 10-17-2007 07:16 PM

Question for the OTR drivers

I realize that truck driving can be a horror story at times, but overall do you enjoy what you do for a living, and if you could change one thing about the job what would it be?

VitoCorleone99 10-17-2007 07:21 PM

I enjoy it for the most part.

One thing to change? Hmm... how about mandatory navigators to be assigned from a local sorority. That would be nice.

bamalu 10-17-2007 07:27 PM

Would probably be 1% turnover rate then

LARM 10-17-2007 08:15 PM

I love my job. I worked in an office for 6 years before coming out on the road and I can't imagine ever doing anything else at this point.

One thing I could change? The total and complete disrespect shown towards truckers by most grocery/food warehouses and their lumpers. If you're gonna take 4 hours to unload my trailer, at least don't treat me like I'm a piece of dirt. It's not my fault you have to work in a disgusting warehouse.

mudpuddle 10-17-2007 10:38 PM

I generally like the job. Most of the time out here if you act professionally and smile you will get the same.

If there was one thing I could change: Shippers would have to pay the time and extra mileage for their terrible directions. If I knew I could count on my directions ninety percent of my stress would magically disappear.

inmate1577 10-17-2007 10:56 PM

Its just a job. No more or less importance than any other job.
I just get paid to deliver crapola.
:wink:

GMAN 10-17-2007 11:43 PM

I enjoy this business for the most part. Otherwise, I would do something else. There are a number of things I would change. One would be the log books. They don't really serve a good useful purpose. It wastes millions of dollars in compliance and doesn't really make the industry any safer than before there were log books.

nsxman2001 10-18-2007 05:01 AM

I agree with you 100% GMAN seems like the log books are useless..Most guys I talk say they are either not filling them out or have 2 log books at the same time..I usually log it as I go along and that has worked for me so far..

Cheers

Malaki86 10-18-2007 07:27 AM

I'm probably about 90-95% satisfied with my job. Beats some jobs I've had when I was a lot younger that I worked for a few days and walked out.

If there was one thing that could be changed - pay an hourly rate once you arrive at a shipper/receiver on time until the (un)loading is complete. We (as the driver) did the job of getting the truck where it's supposed to be at the correct time, so pay us for the screw-ups happening on the docks that's beyond our control.