Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Beer on the Road (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/30237-beer-road.html)

Double R 10-19-2007 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfhobo
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
As the others have stated, you can be On Duty (not driving) past your 14th hour or your 70th hour. You can also be required to go On Duty by your motor carrier at any point when you are in a CMV.

Please CITE THE REG!

Please show the REG that says you can't. You CAN be on-duty(that is line FOUR!!!!) past fourteen hours and not be cited. There is no limit to on-duty time, you just have to have 10 hours off before you can drive again(as long as you are under 70). Been there, done that many times and have even had DOT check the log and not get cited!

Rockjockey 10-19-2007 02:20 PM

Out of all the useless self-preening and blather by golfhobo, only one sentence really matters:

Quote:

Yes, it happens! You get some bureaucrat who has tunnel vision about THEIR specific responsibility of the law.
That one bureaucrat or cop with tunnel vision can cost you thousands of dollars to prove your innocence. Even as a local driver, I won't drink unless I have the following day off. Why would I want to take a chance of a freak accident happening and lose my job and my savings? While all drinkers may scoff that will never happen, I know it can, because I almost had it happen to me. I worked at a place where everyone had a few beers after work, and everyone gave me crap for not joining in. One day, a cop's wife plowed into me on the way home from work, with her cop husband and cop buddy with her. First thing they did was accuse me of drinking. If I had fell into that 'one or two beers does not matter' crap, I would have been screwed.

People like jagerbomber can call it moral policing all they want. I call it protecting my assets. If you are not smart enough to do this, then you fall into the category of stupid truck driver.

10-19-2007 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockjockey
Out of all the useless self-preening and blather by golfhobo, only one sentence really matters:

Quote:

Yes, it happens! You get some bureaucrat who has tunnel vision about THEIR specific responsibility of the law.
That one bureaucrat or cop with tunnel vision can cost you thousands of dollars to prove your innocence. Even as a local driver, I won't drink unless I have the following day off. Why would I want to take a chance of a freak accident happening and lose my job and my savings? While all drinkers may scoff that will never happen, I know it can, because I almost had it happen to me. I worked at a place where everyone had a few beers after work, and everyone gave me crap for not joining in. One day, a cop's wife plowed into me on the way home from work, with her cop husband and cop buddy with her. First thing they did was accuse me of drinking. If I had fell into that 'one or two beers does not matter' crap, I would have been screwed.

People like jagerbomber can call it moral policing all they want. I call it protecting my assets. If you are not smart enough to do this, then you fall into the category of stupid truck driver.

I hardly fall into the category of stupid driver by having a good cold one when I am sitting on a reset or maybe even a 2 or 3 day layover. No where on any post did I tell people to stop for their 10 hour break and have a few, sleep for 4 hours and hop back on the road. The drivers that fall into the stupid driver category are the ones like yourself that believe "my way is the only right way, if you cant do it like me or disagree with my views then you are stupid" We are not at all talking about having your said one or two beers after work at the factory and driving home. We are talking about chilling in our trucks in a parking lot for 2 or 3 days and having a beer in our "homes". If a stupid cops wife wants to drive around a truck stop parking lot and cant see my huge truck and chooses to run into me while i am parked i think there are some bigger issues than me having a beer on my off duty time. The situation that you are bringing up is 3000 miles away from the subject we are speaking about so dont tell me i fall into the category of stupid driver....My driving record and safe miles and paychecks from my time on OTR speak for themselves...i am not the stupid one, re read your post, I'm not the one in that category. Something that happened to you after your 9-5 shift or local route is not relevant to this disscussion. We are discussing doing things on your time off when you wont be driving.

kc0iv 10-19-2007 02:35 PM

In respect you HAVING alcohol in a CMV. This is answered in http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...805&guidence=Y Question 3.
Quote:

Question 3: Does the prohibition against carrying alcoholic beverages in §392.5 apply to a driver who uses a company vehicle, for personal reasons, while off-duty?

Guidance: No. For example, an owner-operator using his/her own vehicle in an off-duty status, or a driver using a company truck or tractor for transportation to a motel, restaurant, or home, would normally be outside the scope of this section.

Now couple comments to golfhobo directly.

(1) While you THINK you are superior and have a greater knowledge than anyone else on this board. YOU are wrong on both accounts. You have either the driving experience or practicable knowledge that would make you superior to many on this board. Nor do you appear to have a greater educational background than many of us on this board. You have your opinion(s), which is fine, but that doesn't make you in anyway superior or more knowledgeable than others on this board.

(2) Your complaint about Joethemechanic and the size of the pictures he posted. I went back and checked his pictures and had not problem. I didn't have to "scroll back and forth" to read any post on this section of the board (Beer on the Road). I also went back and check if there had been any "edits" by Joethemechanic and found there wasn't any "edits." So it would appear the problem is NOT his problem but YOUR problem. I check these with Firefox and Internet Explorer and both programs had no problem. So before you complain maybe you should first verify YOUR system is operating correctly.

kc0iv

Joethemechanic 10-19-2007 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitoCorleone99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joethemechanic
... Not to mention there are guys like me who will take your picture loading beer in your truck, or the picture I take of your bobtail tractor in a bar parking lot if I see it, and email it to your company...

Now that is truly sad. Say whatever you want to about competition. I get the impression that it probably really pisses you off to see athletes get paid "ridiculous" amounts of money, doesn't it? My life is a rather simple one, but I am thankful for the fact that it needn't involve petty attempts to knock others down.

I hope you weren't filming the route from the Pilot in Hagerstown, a mile and a half up the road, to the local bar & grill on Super Bowl Sunday. There might be evidence of me going for a walk and then watching a football game and relaxing for a few hours before I walked back to the truck stop and went to bed. Oh the horror! :shock:

No you don't seem to understand, If I take pictures that I can use to make you look bad in the eyes of the customer, I'm not doing it just to knock you down and get a kick out of watching you fall. I am doing it to make you look bad in the eyes of a customer. I will be trying to knock you out of the game so I can take your customer. That makes more work for me and hopefully leads to more money in my accounts.

The reason I would send pictures to your safety department is, the trucking industry doesn't need another driver making us look like a bunch of drunken clowns. I don't care if you are "handling your booze" well or not, public perception is going to be that you are a drunken big rigger.

10-19-2007 02:40 PM

I bet you used to tell on other kids in kindergarten for talking during quiet time didnt you?

10-19-2007 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molson
Its not. Someone asked me about it and I told them I did not know the laws and rules so figured I would ask.

A beer is like a candy bar, dont need them, just have one once in awhile. I live a certain lifestyle now so I am just learning what my new one could potentially be like.

Thanks for all the info. as always peeps.

Hey Molson, thought you may have crawled into a hole and died after all the attention this topic got!!!! lol

It is good to get this out in the open. I'm guessing 10 more posts before this thread gets locked down for one reason or another.

golfhobo 10-19-2007 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joethemechanic
With all the misinterpretation of the rules By drivers, cops, and the DOT. And all the companies with the ZERO tolerance. Not to mention there are guys like me who will take your picture loading beer in your truck, or the picture I take of your bobtail tractor in a bar parking lot if I see it, and email it to your company.

Well, I guess this points out the fact that one should KNOW what kind of company they work for. MINE would laugh you out of the box! But then, WE don't have to scrape and steal and smear others to get business, because our customers are always satisfied.

Especially if you are my competition. In fact if your company is hauling out of one of my customers, I am going to walk right in the office and show the customer my pictures. And put the bug in their ear that their cargo might get damaged or if "God Forbid" anything should happen they might just get themselves named as one of the defendants in the lawsuit.

Did you learn this "fearmongering" from Dubya?

And WE haul for companies that are not intimidated by cheap theatrics by LOW RENT outlaws trying to steal our contracts.

You want to explain to a customer how it it perfectly legal and they can't get named in a lawsuit?? With just the little bit of uncertainty I put in their head with tales of people I know who got named as defendants, who did no wrong, but still had to pay a lawyer to defend them. And I am talking true stories not BBR tales.

Too bad you don't put as much effort into DOING YOUR JOB, as you do into defaming your brother truckers. It must SUCK to have to STEAL business, instead of DESERVE it.

What do you think that customer is going to do?? I'll tell you,

WHEN IN DOUBT THROW THEM OUT.

And guess who is going to be right there filling their need for trucks.

Probably a DIFFERENT company. Not mine, and not YOURS! Who wants to hire a "snitch?"

Why would I do such a F,,,ed up thing to a driver??? Well if you are my competition, I am going to use your every f,,, up to make you look bad. Because my goal is to put the competition out of business.

With SO much freight out there, (since Dubya says the economy is SO strong,) it's a SHAME that you are so DESPERATE that you must resort to this kind of "slum" salesmanship!

Knowing all that, and knowing that there are plenty of serious business men out there who will use anything they can to knock you out of the game.

Isn't it just easier and safer to just not drink when you are on the road???

NO... It's just smarter to get to the shipper ahead of YOU, while you are busy playing 007 and getting your film developed, or whatever you "peeping Toms" DO, these days!

You know when normal people are in a situation where drinking is not a good idea, they just don't drink, it doesn't bother them one bit.

And based on this post.... what would YOU know about what "NORMAL" people would do? You apparently live in the subbasement of scum that includes paparrazi, blackmailers and politicians! :shock: :lol:

Twilight Flyer 10-19-2007 02:52 PM

Quote:

If a stupid cops wife wants to drive around a truck stop parking lot and cant see my huge truck and chooses to run into me while i am parked i think there are some bigger issues than me having a beer on my off duty time.
But guess what? As outrageous as that situation may be, if it were to happen and you've had a few beers in your truck, you'll be the one going down. Your career, your savings, everything you have will be gone.

Is it worth it?

Quote:

The reason I would send pictures to your safety department is, the trucking industry doesn't need another driver making us look like a bunch of drunken clowns. I don't care if you are "handling your booze" well or not, public perception is going to be that you are a drunken big rigger.
Public perception.

I doubt it can be explained any clearer than that.

Quote:

I bet you used to tell on other kids in kindergarten for talking during quiet time didnt you?
The difference is, when you're in kindergarten, you didn't run the risk of losing everything if you talked during quiet time. As a truck driver, you run that risk if you choose to drink in your truck.

-

Now, regarding this whole thread, I'll lay out this warning once. You can be passionate about your stance on the subject, but keep the personal attacks out of it. It's a good discussion that will hopefully open some eyes. But as long as this thread is, I'm not going to take the time to edit out personal attacks. I'll lock it down and hand out some board time-outs instead. Thanks.

Joethemechanic 10-19-2007 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagerbomber

Trucking is business, not a kindergarten.

It's a shame so many drivers just don't get it. From the time you leave the terminal until the time you get back, you are working.

This is why wages and rates are so low. Too many drivers think that unless the wheels are turning it is recess time.