Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Okay I have made my mind up just a few more questions (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/30177-okay-i-have-made-my-mind-up-just-few-more-questions.html)

okra77 10-12-2007 04:31 PM

Okay I have made my mind up just a few more questions

okay i have been debating on whether or not to leave the class room and venture out into the driving world i am going for it i have scheduled my driving test and secured truck for that day after

here are the questions i need answered

1. after i obtain my liscense where do i begin looking for a job

2. what companies and things do i need to look for

3. what can i expect as far as runs and assignments go my first year

bouncer 10-12-2007 05:09 PM

Your not getting your CDL from a school?.Going to be tough for ya to get a job without going to a CDL school for training.

larryh31 10-12-2007 05:32 PM

Okra, although you can get your class a cdl by borrowing or renting a tractor trailer for the road test. It would be in your best interest to go to a formal truck driving school. A lot of companies will not hire you unless you have graduated from a cdl school. The course should be a minimum of 120 hours long. A class that is 160 hours or longer will be even better for you when you start applying for a job.

Check with community colleges in your area and see if they teach trucking. Most community colleges only charge around $2,500 or so. While most private trucking schools charge between $4,000 to $8,000.

greg3564 10-12-2007 07:10 PM

No one will hire you without training. Those that do will be flea bag operations. Go to school or hire on with a company that has one.

inmate1577 10-12-2007 08:11 PM

Just go to a school. Renting a tractor (which you cant) and passing the test with the tractor (which you wont) are different than understanding the dynamics of the equipment you are operating.

greg3564 10-12-2007 08:59 PM

Re: Okay I have made my mind up just a few more questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by okra77
okay i have been debating on whether or not to leave the class room and venture out into the driving world i am going for it i have scheduled my driving test and secured truck for that day after

here are the questions i need answered

1. after i obtain my liscense where do i begin looking for a job

2. what companies and things do i need to look for

3. what can i expect as far as runs and assignments go my first year

If you can't afford to go to a private school or can't afford to go to one that's four weeks, then try Schneider and Central Refrigerated. They both have schools in Dallas and they're both 14 days straight.

Mackman 10-12-2007 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg3564
No one will hire you without training. Those that do will be flea bag operations. Go to school or hire on with a company that has one.

I got my cdl using my dads truck and greg is right only outlaw companys will hire you. I know for a fact i been there. But if i had to do it all over again i still would do it that way. My Cdl cost me 200-300bucks. I didnt have to pay 3-5k for a cdl. and spend weeks at a time on how to drive. Get your cdl that way work for an outlaw get exp. and then move on. I work for an outlaw now i guess you could say and makin more momney then workin for a so called good company. I kinda like the outlaw companys alittle better anyway. Not as many rules and BS to put up with. But i di drive tri axle dumps. am Not OTR.

inmate1577 10-12-2007 10:46 PM

If you work for an outlaw company and get busted, its the driver who suffers the most. The owner just shuts down and re-opens under a new name, its the driver who cant find a job with any reputable outfit.

Dont do any outlaw companies, it will bite you in the ass later on.

okra77 10-15-2007 04:10 PM

soo

so you guys have convinced me not to go out on my own and get my a's
so what school do you guys recommend anything close to tupelo or fulton area in mississippi

greg3564 10-15-2007 04:27 PM

Re: soo

Quote:

Originally Posted by okra77
so you guys have convinced me not to go out on my own and get my a's
so what school do you guys recommend anything close to tupelo or fulton area in mississippi

Here's a PTDI school.

Tennessee Technology Center at Memphis
550 Alabama Avenue
Memphis, TN 38105
(901) 543-6100
Certified Course: Truck Driving
Certification Dates: 9/7/06 – 8/30/11
http://www.memphis.tec.tn.us/Program...%20driving.htm

You may want to consider carrier training. If being home more often is important, I would look at Schneider. They send you to school for two weeks and pay for your meals. Then you go OTR with a trainer for a couple weeks. They are pretty good about getting you home every 9-10 days and they have a very good reputation. They also had a raise recently.