Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Why government funding? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/30167-why-government-funding.html)

Ghettofab75 10-12-2007 02:44 AM

Why government funding?

Why does the government give out so much money to help fund CDL schooling for so many people? I know the government is just trying to get people jobs so that they can go to work, pay taxes and get off of welfare or whatever. Thats good, but I don't understand why I only ever hear about this and truck driving? Why not other trades as well, construction, welding, machining, etc.....

Why does it seem that the number one job the government is willing to provide training for is truck driving?

Kevo

COLT 10-12-2007 02:52 AM

Because, if O.T.R truckers, weren't such loser's, their big screen T.V. s would cost 5 bucks more...

Skywalker 10-12-2007 02:59 AM

I'm pretty sure that if you look hard enough.... You can find that other occupations have retraining funds available. There are funds available to retrain people who have lost their jobs due to job loss that was not their fault.

kc0iv 10-12-2007 03:28 AM

Re: Why government funding?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghettofab75
Why does the government give out so much money to help fund CDL schooling for so many people? I know the government is just trying to get people jobs so that they can go to work, pay taxes and get off of welfare or whatever. Thats good, but I don't understand why I only ever hear about this and truck driving? Why not other trades as well, construction, welding, machining, etc.....

Why does it seem that the number one job the government is willing to provide training for is truck driving?

Kevo

Do a google search on government paid training

kc0iv

Evinrude 10-12-2007 11:13 AM

more drivers less drivers pay....its a no brain-er... What I don't understand is why do trainers keep training new drivers and keep our wages low.

Were I work our trainers stopped training and our wages and respect is improving rapidly.

larryh31 10-12-2007 03:21 PM

Quote:

Kevo

The government program that you are referring to is called Workforce Investment Act or WIA for short. You should be able to find out the qualifactions for this program at you local unemployment office.

Trucking is not the only trade offered through WIA. A lot of people sign up for trucking because you can finish your training in a few weeks and start earning a paycheck, verses spending 6 months or more in school and not earning a paycheck while you are in other programs.

ohiomohawk 10-14-2007 04:35 AM

Quote:

Why not other trades as well, construction, welding, machining, etc.....

Kevo

I bet there are as many nursing jobs as trucking jobs that need to filled. At the WIA here in Ohio they focus more on nursing than driving.

Welding and machining are not reliable trades anymore, there are some jobs availible but they are going to Mexico,China, Indonesia etc etc

10-15-2007 03:25 PM

how does training new drivers lower wages? do the new drivers set the rates for werner, swift, scheinder, etc? i thought salesmen and bigshots did that, damn i learn so much everyday on here.

Bigmon 10-15-2007 04:21 PM

Quote:

Kevo

To help the Mexicans.

COLT 10-15-2007 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedfxg
how does training new drivers lower wages? .

Supply and demand...