Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   vicodin (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/29936-vicodin.html)

Bengalman 09-29-2007 03:43 AM

vicodin

on 9/22/07 went to dentist with an infection he gave me penicillin and vicodin. I called the company that is going to train me and I told them what the dentist gave and was it ok to take the vicone for the pain.She said I could just bring a note and the bottle with me. I took the pain med untill thur 9/27/07 and I start school 10/05/07 will the vicodine still be in my system.I know she said it was ok I just dont want any problems.

Skywalker 09-29-2007 04:23 AM

Do like they said....take the prescription bottle with you. How long the codein will stay in your system depends on your weight, and how much body fat you have. Sorry....but its the truth.

Having a "legal" prescription for the drug in your possession....makes all the difference in the world. If you have stopped taking it....and enough time lapses...there may be none in your system. Also, take the bottle with you because you have already told them you were prescribed this medication. Not having it handy would not be good if asked about it....especially if there is a detectable amount in your system.

greg3564 09-29-2007 04:38 AM

Vicodin only stays in your system for approx 3.-4 days. It also does not show up on a standard drug test as vicodin is a synthetic opiate. Strange, I know. However unless specifically requested, the standard DOT drug screen looks for the following:

Alcohol
Cannabinoids (marijuana, hash)
Cocaine (cocaine, crack, benzoylecognine)
Amphetamines (amphetamines, methamphetamines, speed)
Opiates (heroin, opium, codeine, morphine)
Phencyclidine (PCP)

The modern drug test is criticized because it has not kept up with modern drug use patterns, including prescription drug abuse. I know all this as a fellow EMS medic had some issues with a test once and we did a bunch of research on it. As mentioned, do take the prescription and any other documentation regarding the meds that you get from the printed from the pharmacy.

Here's a snippet of info about it.

Quote:

The NIDA 5
Federal government guidelines (by NIDA-The National Institute on Drug Abuse and SAMHSA-the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) require that companies which use commercial class drivers licenses for employees must have a testing system in place. Among other things, this required testing program must test for 5 specific categories of drugs (sometimes referred to as the "NIDA 5"). Because of this federal requirement, most drug testing companies offer a basic drug test that checks for drugs in these 5 common categories. Click on the substance name for a description of the laboratory method for detecting the substance.

Cannabinoids (marijuana, hash)
Cocaine (cocaine, crack, benzoylecognine)
Amphetamines (amphetamines, methamphetamines, speed)
Opiates (heroin, opium, codeine, morphine)
Phencyclidine (PCP)

inmate1577 09-29-2007 08:12 AM

Most companies, just use the basic 4 panel test and dont check for alcohol but they do check for weed, meth, coke and heroin..The Big 4 :wink:

Btw, beer with vicodin is heaven!!! :D

Jay B 09-29-2007 11:58 AM

The whole point of the drug testing is to make sure you are not taking illegal drugs, or prescription drugs that are not prescribed to you.
If you are prescribed drugs by a physician all you have to do is tell them and show the bottle with the label or a letter from the doctor.

Taking Valium or Oxycotin or Vicodin or anything else from an OLD prescription does not count and you will fail your screening with no valid excuse.

stanman63 09-29-2007 12:25 PM

like greg said these synthitic drugs wont show up and valuim is a benzo and they dont even test for that type of med. and any opiat will be out of your system withen 72 hours only pot stays in your system for any amount of time

Jay B 09-29-2007 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanman63
like greg said these synthitic drugs wont show up and valuim is a benzo and they dont even test for that type of med. and any opiat will be out of your system withen 72 hours only pot stays in your system for any amount of time

So is it your point that it is OK to do the drugs they don't test for or to do your heroin only at the beginning of a 3 day weekend?
Cocaine only stays in the system for 48-72 hours also, so is it OK to smoke crack if you aren't going to drive for 2 days?
I think one of us is missing the point about don't do drugs if you drive a truck.

One 09-29-2007 12:58 PM

I dont think you are legally allowed to operate a CMV while under such a narcotic. Theres a list of banned substances someone here surely has hand that lists all substances not allowed inside a CMV period. Dont trust what the lady sais, she probably does not know what is banned!!

Dentists are really over prescribing such stuff, only use it when you are actually in pain, then leave the vicodin at home. The antibiotic (penicillin) should reduce any infection to where painkillers are unnecessary within 3 days.

stanman63 09-29-2007 01:14 PM

you need to open your eyes im not saying do drugs its not these kind of drugs that are the proplem in the trucking world (chicken feet) is if you now the lingo when your at a truck stop you will see how bad it is out here and no i dont do the stuff i like sleeping when i want drug abuse is rampant in every walk of life you would be shocked if you new how many drivers are out there tweeked out of there mind and what any one does on his own time at home is his own deal i like drinking beer thats a drug it causes more problems than any man made drug well ever do if you let it (but its legal) one is just as bad as the other

Malaki86 09-29-2007 01:25 PM

I can't remember what drug an e.r. doc put me on for a really muscle spasm in my back. All I remember was that there was tons of federal papers I had to sign, including ones that said I was not able to drive ANY type of vehicle until 48 hours after my last pill.

Of course, the way I felt on those pills I could barely walk, let alone drive.