Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers
You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   WARNING!!! You had better pay attention to this!! (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/29928-warning-you-had-better-pay-attention.html)

Skywalker 09-28-2007 03:59 PM

WARNING!!! You had better pay attention to this!!

Guys and gals.....in the last couple of months... I have been going through water/fuel separator filters like a banshee. I have covered 17,000 miles since my last service, and am now on my THIRD filter. I fuel all over the country, and mostly in Pilots...though the occasional TA or Petro.... and a random independent once in a blue moon.

Other of our drivers have had problems as well.

If you have the "see-through" filter on your firewall....keep an eye on it. Change it when it needs to be changed. If its getting funky and the level is climbing inside....get a styrofoam cup or tin can and open the petcock on the bottom for a second or two and see what comes out.

One of our guys had a real problem with losing power, and engine struggling. I opened drained some of his filter gunk into a cup.....had some nasty stuff including "metal shavings" in it. The mechanics changed the filter and it ran like a top again.

If you don't have the see through type....make darn sure you carry a spare filter or two....and learn the proper method of installing them, and how to make sure that the filter is FULL OF FUEL when you install it. If you have an ISX Cummins....DO NOT attempt to change it unless you have the company's permission and you know what you are doing!! The filter is mounted in a %%$#@#$% spot and the threads are a **&^%$## and easy to screw up. The see throughs are primed through the cap on the top....they're a "no brainer" deal.

If you don't watch your filters....and we are coming up on winter pretty soon....you could find yourself stuck somewhere with a frozen filter clogged with ice and crud....don't end up sick or dead over a cheap filter and a lack of knowledge!!

Skywalker 09-28-2007 05:31 PM

:mrgreen:

eoplocust 09-28-2007 09:19 PM

right on...... lol

i just found out about that filter through reading on pumpkindriver. this IS good reading considering i am literally a month old cdl holdr looking for my first job.

UNRELATED: was thinking superior but not sure if ill be hired.

is it true that the filter should be checked EVERY fillup?

worldisnotenough 09-28-2007 10:53 PM

I haven't popped my hood on my truck since I got it over year ago. I am not going to start now to go looking for some filter thing that may or may not exist!

kc0iv 09-28-2007 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by eoplocust:
right on...... lol

i just found out about that filter through reading on pumpkindriver. this IS good reading considering i am literally a month old cdl holdr looking for my first job.

If your filter is a see through I'd check it every time you raise the hood. Which should at least one a day. If your filter has a drain I'd check it with every fill-up.

As skywalker said: "If you don't have the see through type....make darn sure you carry a spare filter or two....and learn the proper method of installing them, and how to make sure that the filter is FULL OF FUEL when you install it." I might add carry a hose so you can fill the new filter.

Something I did with my own truck was fill the filter with transmission fluid. It seem to help keep the injectors cleaner.

kc0iv

worldisnotenough 09-28-2007 11:09 PM

okay you convinced me.

Skywalker 09-29-2007 02:00 AM

right on...... lol

As kc0iv said....you should check it at least "once a day" if you have the see through type... On our trucks its on the firewall on the drivers side....can't miss it unless you're blind as a bat. I open the drain petcock at least every couple of days...usually when filling up.

Originally Posted by :

Won't know until you try, right? You might try calling the Bridgeport, NJ terminal at 1-800-367-7727 and speaking with the terminal manager. We also have the terminal in Rahway....its number is 800-879-7727. The Bridgeport terminal does all the dispatching for the area.... If you have any questions...feel free to ask. Either Cyanide or I can answer them for you.

Originally Posted by :

Its a good idea, takes less than a second to glance at it if you are driving one of our Internationals.....and it should be checked just like the oil and antifreeze and everything else on the truck either during your PTI or while fueling.... Here's an old saying I just made up: AN OUNCE OF PREVENTION BEATS THE DICKENS OUT OF A POUND OF CURE OR FREEZING YOUR BUTT OFF ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD WAITING FOR A ROAD SERVICE TRUCK.....

eoplocust 09-29-2007 04:53 AM

thanks i really appreciate the help. both in carrier info and stuff i've learned from other posts its crazy how i thought i would learn enough in school but when i started reading here from school time to now i think i actually learned more from the forums. makes paying my dues a heck of a lot easier when i have info at hand

Mackmechanic 09-29-2007 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by kc0iv:

right on...... lol

If your filter is a see through I'd check it every time you raise the hood. Which should at least one a day. If your filter has a drain I'd check it with every fill-up.

As skywalker said: "If you don't have the see through type....make darn sure you carry a spare filter or two....and learn the proper method of installing them, and how to make sure that the filter is FULL OF FUEL when you install it." I might add carry a hose so you can fill the new filter.

Something I did with my own truck was fill the filter with transmission fluid. It seem to help keep the injectors cleaner.

kc0iv

No No NO

On a modern electronic engine ATF is bad news on your fuel systems. :shock:

VitoCorleone99 09-29-2007 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mackmechanic:
...No No NO

On a modern electronic engine ATF is bad news on your fuel systems. :shock:

Is there a reason you have a beef with the feds?
http://images.usatoday.com/news/_pho...rch-inside.jpg