Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers
You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   recent graduate seeks opinions... (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/29896-recent-graduate-seeks-opinions.html)

ceehound619 09-26-2007 10:50 PM

recent graduate seeks opinions...

Here is my story. I graduated Class A school with my CDL on Sept 5. I have all endorsements(no restrictions) and a clean driving record. I have a stable work history, good references and even some prior Class B experience. HOWEVER.. I have FAILED so far at finding a local Class A job... I probably have over 50 resumes/applications out there.... I am not even getting calls from the temp agencies.... I am ASSUMING this is due mainly to my LACK of experience.... so I have decided I am going to have to put in my dues OTR for a year at least to get some experience... THEN maybe I can get a decent local job....(local due to my young kids) I have narrowed things down so far at this point to Gordon/schneider/US Express and Werner...are there any OTR companies that I should stay away from??? and which companies do you think are the best out of the ones I listed??? Any help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated... THANKS in advance. ( ps.. I am in the San Diego, CA area)

Uturn2001 09-26-2007 11:36 PM

Out of the ones you listed Gordon would be the way to go.

Have you applied with ABF. They hire and train new drivers.

Jeff McNabb San Diego CA 91911 875 Energy Way (619) 656-7952

I would call or better yet go there in person.

ceehound619 09-27-2007 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Uturn2001:
Out of the ones you listed Gordon would be the way to go.

Have you applied with ABF. They hire and train new drivers.

Jeff McNabb San Diego CA 91911 875 Energy Way (619) 656-7952

I would call or better yet go there in person.

thanks much for the advice... I will take it!!!! :>)

bigrigdriver 09-28-2007 03:14 AM

UPS hires new drivers too, you can always try if you havent been away from the work force for long. San diego has openings for local P&D. I checked few days ago. upsjobs.com Good luck Bro. :D

ceehound619 09-28-2007 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by bigrigdriver:
UPS hires new drivers too, you can always try if you havent been away from the work force for long. San diego has openings for local P&D. I checked few days ago. upsjobs.com Good luck Bro. :D

Thanks!!!!! I check this company for openings religiously and hadnt seen anything open... appreciate it!!!

inmate1577 09-28-2007 11:53 AM

I thought companies like UPS , FedEx etc dont hire drivers outright. I thought you had to shlep it out on a loading dock for awhile.

ceehound619 09-28-2007 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by inmate1577:
I thought companies like UPS , FedEx etc dont hire drivers outright. I thought you had to shlep it out on a loading dock for awhile.

FEDEX driving positions(class a) require 1 year experience minimum.... UPS CITY drivers do NOt.... their OTR positions DO require experience.

worldisnotenough 09-28-2007 06:14 PM

The color blue is nice, IMHO.

ceehound619 09-28-2007 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by worldisnotenough:

The color blue is nice, IMHO.

guess you were too LAZY to read my entire post huh.(rolls eyes)

worldisnotenough 09-28-2007 06:39 PM

sorry, i couldn't resist. from the ones you listed I don't see much difference.
all are pretty similar pay wise.