Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   What Do You Keep On Your Truck??? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/29219-what-do-you-keep-your-truck.html)

unkut2003 08-25-2007 02:21 AM

What Do You Keep On Your Truck???

Well I just took on a job and recieved my first assigned rig.... a 1997 Kenworth T800. I was just wondering what everyone keeps in their trucks to make for a smooth day. I've put a little list together to grab tomorrow at Wallys World because my first trip is Monday. Anything else you can add and any advice would be great.... THANKS!!!

I Already Have:

Log Books
Company Info/Reports
DVR Books
Planner/Paperwork keeper

What To Get:

Calculator
Paper/Pens
Radio/Speakers... :roll:
Sunglasses
Road Atlas

AbenInNashville 08-25-2007 02:27 AM

Also think about some of these things because truck stops can be costly.

Snack foods and drinks
Cooler for the drinks
White out
Baby wipes
Flashlight
Basic tool set

thebaldeagle655 08-25-2007 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by AbenInNashville:
Also think about some of these things because truck stops can be costly.

Snack foods and drinks
Cooler for the drinks
White out
Baby wipes
Flashlight
Basic tool set

Might want to take along a change of underwear too :)

I carry Go Jo wipes, handcleaner towels that come in rather handy after tying down a load to wipe up a bit.

I you don't already have one, a satellite radio, XM or Sirius comes in handy.

I recommend the 12 volt cooler, pays for itself in not having to buy ice in a short period of time.

Good luck!

BigBird01 08-25-2007 02:51 AM

I would have to say. Some kind of rain jacket, and a good pair of waterproof boots. I don't know how many times those have come in handy.. :lol:

Blind Driver 08-25-2007 04:56 AM

Lot lizard tokens

Jackrabbit379 08-25-2007 05:16 AM

Re: What Do You Keep On Your Truck???

Originally Posted by unkut2003:
I Already Have:

Log Books
Company Info/Reports
DVR Books
Planner/Paperwork keeper

I would get plenty of TripPak envelopes, if you will be using TripPak. If so, I would ask for a boat load of them.

unkut2003 08-25-2007 07:02 AM

WOW!!! Alot of the simplest things posted I didn't even think of.....like wipes, a raincoat, cooler, ect.... THANKS!!!

As for the Satelite Radio, how does that work??? The truck has a radio in it but it won't power on..... prolly has to do with the fact its a '97 Ken T800, hahaha!!! But I was gonna toss one in it tomorrow afternoon at the plant because I take my first load out Monday morning.

I'll also be hittin Wally World for most of these other supplies!!!

K.POP 08-25-2007 09:56 AM

I am not a trucker yet but, I here Baby whips are wroth its wait in gold in alot of professions.

08-25-2007 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by K.POP:
I am not a trucker yet but, I here Baby whips are wroth its wait in gold in alot of professions.

Yup....I have a box next to my seat and 4 more boxes in storage. After I use one I wipe down anything else within my reach.

Are you going over the road or just day jobs?

K.POP 08-25-2007 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by SteveBooth:

Originally Posted by K.POP:

Yup....I have a box next to my seat and 4 more boxes in storage. After I use one I wipe down anything else within my reach.

Are you going over the road or just day jobs?

Right now I am researching about OTR...I would like to get in 2-3 years OTR and try to get a Local run if I am not intrested in That OTR company, which so far looks like CFI is gonna be my start. I don't think I'll hop on the wagon yet becuase I need to get some things settleed before I make a big career dicsion seeing im only 22.

Fredog 08-25-2007 02:54 PM

[quote="unkut2003"]WOW!!! Alot of the simplest things posted I didn't even think of.....like wipes, a raincoat, cooler, ect.... THANKS!!!

As for the Satelite Radio, how does that work??? The truck has a radio in it but it won't power on..... prolly has to do with the fact its a '97 Ken T800, hahaha!!! But I was gonna toss one in it tomorrow afternoon at the plant because I take my first load out Monday morning.

the satellite receiver plays through your fm radio, so it needs to work, you can get a siruis unit for 49.00 at a truckstop or on line. the service costs $12.99 a month, you get a discount if you pay a year at a time, or with sirius you can get a lifetime subscription for 500 bucks.. the great thing is you can listen to the same station coast to coast.. I think sirius has a better line up, you can go to x/m and sirius websites and see what they offer and then decide for yourself. the signal and the equipment for both is pretty much the same although you will get thousands of arguments for and against both

Fredog 08-25-2007 03:02 PM

WOW!!! Alot of the simplest things posted I didn't even think of.....like wipes, a raincoat, cooler, ect.... THANKS!!!

I would also take along....aspirin, intensive care lotion.. immodium ( for upset stomach) some cold medicine ( just in case) gold bond medicated powder ( saves you from rash) disposable razors and shaving cream . extra toothbrush.. a razor knife comes in very handy sometimes.. gloves (a must) walmart usually has a 4 pack of gloves for $4.99 . a comb or brush.. I would also recommend that you carry a hundred dollars of your own money at all times.

unkut2003 08-25-2007 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Fredog:

I would also take along....aspirin, intensive care lotion.. immodium ( for upset stomach) some cold medicine ( just in case) gold bond medicated powder ( saves you from rash) disposable razors and shaving cream . extra toothbrush.. a razor knife comes in very handy sometimes.. gloves (a must) walmart usually has a 4 pack of gloves for $4.99 . a comb or brush.. I would also recommend that you carry a hundred dollars of your own money at all times.

Hey thanks for all the help.... I appreciate it!!! On the radio, I'm just gonna buy a cheap one and toss it in there myself... 8)

Karnajj 08-25-2007 07:34 PM

How long are you going to be staying out between times home? Makes a big difference on what to take.

bouncer 08-25-2007 07:46 PM

Well CFI told me min of 2 weeks at a time so I will be taking a lot with me since the truck will be my home.

Phantom433a 08-25-2007 08:58 PM

if your going to go with the 12v cooler as suggested, don't buy it at wally world. I got mine at a petro about 10 years ago and its still going strong with only having the motor area blown out of dust once a month, talked to a kid that got his at wally's and it had burnt out within 4 months.

Thats said, I would pickup

12v lunchbox oven
roll of papertowels
roll of toilette paper
banquet meals (cooks great in the lunchbox and about a buck each)
roll of tinfoil (lining lunchbox in case of overspill)
small box of laundry detergent
1 weeks worth of clothing
shower supplies (including towels)
small pharmacy (as mentioned before)
basic office supplies (pens, paperclips etc)
toilettery items
cheap video game (such as video poker, for the waiting)
book to read (again for the waiting)

08-25-2007 09:04 PM

Walmart has nothing to do with a unit breaking. It's the brand. It would do more good to name the manufacturer. Walmart does not make anything, just just sell stuff, MANY BRANDS!!

Phantom433a 08-25-2007 09:08 PM

its was the same brand as mine, Igloo.

K.POP 08-25-2007 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Phantom433a:
its was the same brand as mine, Igloo.

When you say lunchbox do you mean those multi-purpose(Heat/Cool) boxs you can get for trips. I have a little heat/cool 12v enough to hold 4 soda cans and a small amount of ice.

flood 08-25-2007 11:37 PM

Phantom433a is talking about this http://cnelecar.hisupplier.com/produ...hbox-Oven.html you can cook all kinds if food in them while your driving.

Phantom433a 08-26-2007 01:02 AM

and the ones they have now are so much nicer than 10 years ago....damn plugs melted all the time.

K.POP 08-26-2007 01:24 AM

O ok this is the one I use for long distance driving. Keeps my drinks cold all the way and if needed set my food in it keep it warm.

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/61/79/77...50_500X500.jpg

BORN2DRIVE 08-26-2007 02:06 AM

tire checker
oil rag
windex(for mirrors)
cell phone charger
coffee cup(with lid)

Scout 08-26-2007 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by BORN2DRIVE:
tire checker
oil rag
windex(for mirrors)
cell phone charger
coffee cup(with lid)

If you don't get windex, at least get a spray bottle and fill it with washer fluid (that the company pays for) but the paper towels are your responsibility.

bouncer 08-26-2007 05:16 PM

Where you get that cooler at?.

Phantom433a 08-26-2007 06:38 PM

i have curly hair....and when it starts getting long i have a heckuva time getting it ti lay down when i get up. if you have a problem like this....simply get a spray bottle and keep water in it to spray your hair down before combing it.

madpuppy 08-26-2007 06:59 PM

Yea, you have a good starting out list there, I would ad a 5 gallon plastic bucket- and garbage bags ( you`ll figure it out ) a couple gallons of clorox bleach ( if your stuck in a pit and don`t want to throw iron, pour it on your drive tires and hold on. couple bags of kitty litter same reason. FOUL WEATHER GEAR!! 2 to 3 days of canned goods. A bunk warmer like an electric blanket except you sleep on top of it. A GOOD FLASH LIGHT with extra battries.Acouple gallon jugs of water. And for your own sake, when the fuel gauge hits half a tank start looking for a fuel stop! KEEP YOUR DOORS LOCKED AT ALL TIMES. And one more thing just because its 80 F. when you leave it don`t mean its gonna be 80 F. when you get where your going

golfhobo 08-26-2007 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Phantom433a:
i have curly hair....and when it starts getting long i have a heckuva time getting it ti lay down when i get up. if you have a problem like this....simply get a spray bottle and keep water in it to spray your hair down before combing it.

Now THAT is WAY more info than I needed to KNOW about you!! :lol: :lol:

But, seriously..... since you are living and sleeping in your truck, make sure you have ALL the things you would have at home to "start your day" or to "get through it."

Um..... did anyone mention an ALARM CLOCK??? :wink:

Here are a few others, if I can think of anything:

One or two "pulp" thermometers (if you're going to pull reefer.)

A set of two or three padlocks that use the same key (with extra keys.)

A couple of one foot 4X4's for driving up onto when a trailer is left TOO HIGH.

A bag or two of rock salt during the winter (or at least sand.)

A couple of gallons of water.

A kingpin lock.

At least one, if not TWO, flashlights (and or extra batteries/bulbs.)

A set of small to medium size bungie cords. (usefull for stopping "rattles" that keep you awake, or securing small items. I use one to keep my CB mic cord out of my line of sight.)

A various sized assortment of "zip ties."

A couple of rolls of DUCT tape and one of electrical tape.

Two books... the Trucker's Friend (truckstop guide with phone #s) and The Next Exit.

A magnifying glass or reading glasses.

SLIPPERS (preferrably with hard soles.) Your feet will swell, and you can drive comfortably in these.... or just wear them while off duty.

A handfull of plastic grocery bags for trash bags. You will get more as you go, but you may need a few to start, or run out.

A disposable camera for "accident reporting." They also sell this as a kit, but I'd just buy the camera.

Make sure you have a "lockout key" so you can leave the truck/A.C. running while going inside, and still have a truck to drive when you return.

A stick or two of chalk - for marking the holes when sliding your tandems.

A siphon hose/pump. It CAN happen, and if you have a reefer, you can "borrow" some fuel. (Use one of the jugs of water.... just pour out the water first.)

silvan 08-26-2007 07:52 PM

Did anybody mention a shovel yet? I carry a short ~3' shovel in the side box. I've never actually needed it since I bought it, but I threw it in there because I didn't have it when I really desperately did need it.

Trucking is all about fighting the last war.

Don't think anybody mentioned WD-40 yet. Or 3-in-1 oil. Both very useful.

A good knife.

Extra underwear over and above what you would normally wear, so you can change into something if you crap your pants.

madpuppy 08-27-2007 12:45 PM

It sure would have been nice to have this thing around when I started out!.

08-27-2007 01:27 PM

i also carry cleaning supplies and a 12v sweeper. as much time as you spent out, hopefully, you will wanna keep your ride clean. i do out and back trip, home every other day and 2.5 day weekends, and i am constantly cleaning my truck. can't stand dust on the dash and dirt on the floor.

CaptCaveman 08-28-2007 12:21 AM

The stuff I carry:
Crowbar
2lb ball pein hammer(tire thumper etc)
6 cell mag light
extra bulbs and batteries for mag light
assorted fuses
at least two pair leather gloves
straight screwdriver
phillips screwdriver
10 inch crescent wrench
vise grips
channel lock pliers
zip ties
extra pens
box knife
fog X
alcohol swabs
band aids
burn cream
antibiotic cream
athletes foot spray
baby wipes
eye drops
aspirin
tylenol
vitamins
air freshener
glass cleaner
duct tape
electrical tape
shop towels
red rags
grommets for glad hands
ziploc bags
extra logbooks
rain X pocket notebooks
trash bags
febreze
paperback books
Other things come and go as needed

CaptCaveman 08-28-2007 12:22 AM

Sorry, double post

choperbob 08-30-2007 03:56 PM

apartment sixed fridge
microwave,
mr. coffee
george foreman grill
elect. crockpot
laptop
laundry det.
tattoo supplies
printer scanner
light and heavy coats
tow chain
good sized tool box
snow shovel
push broom
square point shovel
tire chains
rain gear
first aid kit
lot lizard repellant

Sealord 08-30-2007 04:57 PM

Truck Stuff

September's a good time to put the winter clothes and survival stuff on the truck. There'll be snow somewhere soon. BOL

BiGG T33 08-30-2007 05:30 PM

These are great suggestions but i haven't seen anyone tell him to take a map with him! :P

Get a Laptop to go with what everyone suggested (when its affordable you can pay 40.00 a month for a good laptop)