Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers
You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Question on a newbie finding local work (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/28939-question-newbie-finding-local-work.html)

Bonkers 08-13-2007 05:26 AM

Question on a newbie finding local work

Hello everyone!

I am so sorry to ask on something I am sure has been hashed out many times here. I read back several months of threads and didn't find anything to help with my specific problem.

A little bio on me:
I am a recent commercial driver program graduate - top of my class with 100% on both the new and old skills tests (98% and 80% with no errors for the road tests.) I am CDLA/XT endorsed with clean Med Card. Most of my professional career has been around heavy trucks (Delivery manager at lowes, armored car scheduler, dock manager at V lasic) and when I freelanced I put over 510,000 miles on my personal vehicles driving to customers in all states east of the Mississippi. I had considered myself a fine candidate for employment...somewhere.

When my Hazmat cleared though all the points I gathered in my cross country treks suddenly appeared on my local record. Right now I have 4 points (speeding) on my 3-year record with two dropping off this December. I have no felonies or DUIs.

Suddenly I find myself untouchable. I put out over 60 applications now and the only one to even consider me was Yellow - who later denied me because I failed their physical abilities test (which I don't see how and they refuse to explain.) Many, many companies tell me they would love to hire me, but their policies dictate zero points, or one conviction in 5 years, or 3 years behind the wheel experience. My 7-year record is a mess. To make matters worse the one company that has everything I want in a job requires 3-years Class A experience which means driving a newspaper truck at night won't help the long run.

I am at a loss - I am willing to compromise on a great many things (I prefer manual transmissions, don't need benefits, willing to work mad hours,) but my wife has made clear I need to be home more nights than not.

Any suggestions on where to look? I have exhausted all the big name companies in my area.

Thanks a bunch!

Random_Facts 08-13-2007 08:17 AM

Not sure if the 4 points (in that period of time will make it harder or not) but some good local companies you could try are:

Cola-cola
Budwiser
UPS <-- yeah it's hard to get into but hey its worth a try lol.
Home Depot
Lowes
Ace hardwares
Safeway
Dirt Hauler people

Those are the ones that come to my head at the moment for Local/linehaul. But I wish you the best of luck trying to get hired, =). Just keep positive and remember there's always something that needs to get hauled.

fireman932003 08-13-2007 03:39 PM

Hate to break it to you but you are more then likely going to need OTR experience. Finding a local gig right out of school is difficult. You may have to bite the bullet so to speak and go OTR for a year. BOL

Colts Fan 08-13-2007 03:43 PM

Fireman,

Does it matter what school you graduate from? Do local carriers consider that?

fireman932003 08-13-2007 03:48 PM

Some do, some don't it just depends.

obiedon 08-13-2007 11:42 PM

Try finding a company that hauls bulk cement in Pneumatic trailers. If you don't know where they are located, go to your local ready mix plant and ask them who hauls powder in for them. Explain that you are just looking for contact info to apply for a job and they will most likely even give you a phone number to contact the company that hauls powder in to them. And yes local with no OTR is possible right out of school, I did it and I haul powder (cement) for a living. Just keep in mind powder is constuction based so, it may be seasonal in your area.

silvan 08-14-2007 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by fireman932003:
Some do, some don't it just depends.

Some do though. I actually got turned down for a local job because I graduated from the right school too many years ago. The HR lady was really exicted to hear where I went to school, but her face fell when I told her what year I graduated.

I got the "we'll call you" routine, and they never did. I was getting ready to interview with Coke when I got the call to take the job I have now. I was getting pretty desperate, and I'd think I'm orders of magnitude more hireable than the original poster.

ben45750 08-14-2007 02:38 AM

Try Conway? They will hire rookies.

I am surprised Yellow went as so far as a physical without a 1 year experience. I worked for Roadway (owned by Yellow) and you HAD to have 1 year with no accidents. No exceptions.

08-14-2007 03:13 AM

Re: Question on a newbie finding local work

Originally Posted by Bonkers:
I am at a loss - I am willing to compromise on a great many things (I prefer manual transmissions, don't need benefits, willing to work mad hours,) but my wife has made clear I need to be home more nights than not.

Any suggestions on where to look? I have exhausted all the big name companies in my area.

The problem you're facing is that we in the transportation biz are currently in a "freight recession". Compounding the problem is that the housing/construction markets have ground to a halt, as well. Trucking competes with housing/construction for the same pool of workers, so when that sector hits the skids, alot of guys hit the road.

Thus the supply of workers has increased while freight demand has fallen. This means that companies can be much more selective in who they hire than they were 1-2 years ago.

Your best bet would be to try and hire on with an OTR company. Many companies such as Roehl and Schneider have 7/3-7/4 and other programs to keep you near the homestead. Do that for maybe 1-2 years, keep your nose clean, and then try for a local gig.

Bonkers 08-14-2007 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by ben45750:
Try Conway? They will hire rookies.

Funny you mentioned that because I finally got hold of them this morning. The guy I spoke too said he just took in another Yellow reject which meant I was SOL with him... at least til after new years.

The more companies I talk to the more likely it seems that I will have something come xmas - I just have to figure out how to pay the bills til then.

Originally Posted by :
I am surprised Yellow went as so far as a physical without a 1 year experience. I worked for Roadway (owned by Yellow) and you HAD to have 1 year with no accidents. No exceptions.

I am very upset with Yellow. Here's the process I went through with them:
- Submitted App - denied because I had less than one year.
- Terminal manager calls and says he can get me in on a finishing school program.
- Submitted app again - denied because I have too much experience for the finishing school.
- Terminal manager calls and says he can get HR to accept the app anyway.
- Submitted app again - denied because I have too many points.
- Terminal manager calls and says the points were forgiven because they were pre-CDL but I would be hired under strict probation.
- Submitted app again - gets approved.
- Submitted Drug and Physical - passed both no prob.
- Submitted Physical Abilites test - 336# floor lift 180# pull 100# shelf to shelf, good posture.
- Get an email saying I failed abilities test.

About half way through this mess I get a call from a local chicken hauler needing help at $9/hr. I turn him down because the Yellow guy assures me I am hired - just need to sort paperwork. So here I am a month later and still unemployeed. Yellow is on my list for sure now.

The interesting thing is that the guy CCX hired seems to have some better strenght numbers than me so I am completely flustered as to what it takes to pass this test. The single only thing I can think of is they denied me because of my weight - though I wish I could prove it.

Originally Posted by :
Compounding the problem is that the housing/construction markets have ground to a halt, as well.

Actually I live in a love/hate area for trucking - there is no industry, but because its resort/beach there is no decline (yet) in construction at all. In fact I think new home construction is up this season. The story I keep getting from them though is that thier insurance demands at least two years CDL experience. I thought they were just yanking me at first, but I've heard it enough now to think it may be policy.